MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soon to be dillon owner

Boolit Master

Soon to be dillon owner

Just bought a dillon 550b
    Can i use my lyman 4 die set on this press?

Boolit Master

Sure why not? I use Lee,RCBS ,Hornady and Lyman dies is my press's. I have Lee and Lyman press's. And congrats on the Dillon!
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

You can use any 7/8-14 threaded reloading dies but to use the Dillon powder measure, you have to use their die and powder funnel in #2.

Some dies are threaded too short to put the lock nut on the top but there is room to install them on the bottom of the tool head.

Boolit Master
    The Dillon dies do have some user friendly features like being able to clean them without having to readjust them. If you don't push the pressure on your loads, the radiused sizer makes things easier. I ain't necessarily in love with that decapping setup on their dies.

Boolit Master

So,i wouldnt be able to use my lyman m-die...

Boolit Grand Master

Your Lyman dies should work fine. The only thing to consider is that most older dies have a smaller radius around the mouth of the die and that makes it difficult sometimes lining up all 4 cases on the up-stroke.

Boolit Master

My lyman dies are fairly new,and they are exellent.what i cant see,is where am i gonna powder drop,using these dies?

Boolit Master

You've only got four stages.

If you use the Lyman M die you're going to have to seat and crimp in one station.

You can get M die like powder funnels for the Dillon powder measure.

http://www.uniquetek.com/dillon-press-enhancements

Seriously if you didn't know if your Lyman dies would fit I really have to question whether or not you're ready for a Dillon press.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    The powder funnel/expander replaces your M die. You can get one from uniquetek or get Lathesmith to make you one.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post

If you use the Lyman M die you're going to have to seat and crimp in one station.

Seriously if you didn't know if your Lyman dies would fit I really have to question whether or not you're ready for a Dillon press.
    Not to worry,ive loaded many thousands of rounds in dozen of calibers,not to mention a ton of shotshells,so i dont need your opinion,but thanks for looking out for me.

Boolit Master

Thank you,,this is exactly my question,i will look that up.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    The powder funnel/expander replaces your M die. You can get one from uniquetek or get Lathesmith to make you one.
    Thank you,,this is what im looking for,,i will look them up,thanks

Banned

like was said here. Just find the powder drop that gives you the flair you want and it will do the same thing as the M die. For example my 32 mag powder drop bushing flares 30 cal rifle rounds just fine.

The caliber conversion you ordered with the press will come with a powder funnel that incorporates an expander and bell/flare.

Just try it first before you start trying to fix a problem you don’t yet have.

Boolit Buddy
    When I first got my 550, I used my existing dies, over the years they have all been replaced with Dillon dies. The Dillon ones have several features that I like better than any other dies.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    The caliber conversion you ordered with the press will come with a powder funnel that incorporates an expander and bell/flare.

I never had good luck with the supplied powder funnels. They are awesome for jacketed bullets. Not so great for properly sized cast boolits. Uniquetek now has proper funnels for 38 wadcutters and heavy 9mm boolits.

I haven't ordered and used the 38 wadcutter funnel yet but the heavy 9mm funnel makes a HUGE difference in loading my NOE ELCO boolits.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    The stock powder funnel worked fine for my 45acp and 38spec. The 9mm was a problem. The throat on my barrels was a bit large. I had Lathesmith make me one that was the same size as my sized bullet. After the brass snapped back from expansion, I only lost .0002-3 when I pulled a seated bullet. I'm using COWW+2% Sn for alloy and it can handle expanding the brass enough for good neck tension with a light crimp and no bullet setback.
    Slug your barrel and it will tell you what it needs.

Boolit Master
    " Seriously " do you think this was helpful for anyone ?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post

I bought it used,,its set up for 40sw,,got to convert it to 45acp.

Boolit Master
    That's a good one to start with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast