Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
RepackboxPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Primers for T/C actions

Boolit Bub

Primers for T/C actions

I haven't had a problem to date using rifle primers with rifle carts. and pistol with pistol carts. What does T/C recommend. Concerned that I may start to pierce pistol primers.

Boolit Master
    I have always used the correct primer for the cartridge in my contenders. Without issue, including rifle primers in the Herrett rounds, based on 3030 brass.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

I use small rifle primers for 32/20, 357 magnum and 38 special. No problems that's about 50,000 rounds

Just following the recipe in my reloading manual .

For reduced loads in rimless bottleneck cases you should be using pistol primers. Otherwise treat it like any other gun.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    I have always used the correct primer for the cartridge in my contenders. Without issue, including rifle primers in the Herrett rounds, based on 3030 brass.
    I have basically the same experience with mine. my 357 Herrett gets rifle primers, 223 rifle and pistol get rem 7 1/2, 25-20 gets rem 6 1/2.
    Barry

Boolit Master

Use rifle primers in rifle cases.
    use pistol primers in pistol cases.
    Simple as that.
    I have never had an issue loading this way.

Boolit Grand Master

My Contender will sometimes misfire with the thicker of stronger cup military primes such as the 7 1/2 Remington's and the CCI's along with milsurp M193/M855 in my 223 carbine and Hornet barrels. WSR, Federal and CCI standard SR primers give no problems. No problems with any large or small pistol primers in the pistol chambered barrels.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Bub
    Thanks to all for the advice have not had a problem yet, didn't want to set myself up for a problem as time went on.

Larry has a good point. The "thick cup" specialty primers made for semi-autos aren't necessary or desireable for anything but ammunition meant for semi-autos.
    Cognitive Dissident

I have always run Fed primers in my 30 Herrett and 7-30 Waters . I had a bunch of 7-30 ‘s loaded with WLR primers had lot of misfires but I’m not sure on the results , the misfires were getting worse then the hammer spring broke . I have 5 new springs on the way and I will give the WLR’s another go with a new hammer spring .
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Master

I never had any issues with primers in my T/C Encore or Contender barrels rifle or pistol
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    My 7mm TCU needed a stronger hammer spring to fire CCI small rifle primers in that round, had it installed. Worked beautifully since.

Boolit Buddy
    JUST had my first issue today!

Lately I’ve been shooting my Encore with a 16 inch 357 mag barrel on it set up as a bench pistol.
    Hundreds of rounds using Winchester spm primers. Plenty of loads close to but not quite 353 Casull level. No issues. Great accuracy.
    Well I get to thinking if it shoots so well with the heavy stock trigger pull, I wonder how it’ll do with a lighter one. I drop in all new new springs. Shoot some powder puff loads out back(can’t shoot anything loud out back) to function test. Good to go.

Nope.

During range testing it’s piercing primers with book-ish loads now. I didn’t get a chance today to test much but the beginning load I was running was Noe copy of RCBS 180 sil and 12.5 grains of IMR 4227. No pressure signs AT ALL. The INTACT primers were still rounded and the 4227 was still running dirty at this load level. AND to top it off I ran 13 grains last outing with everything else identical with zero issues. I was just trying to do a work up today but needless to say that didn’t happen.

Haven’t had a chance to take it apart yet to inspect but firing pin indent looks deep but round. Appears undamaged but I’ll check it thoroughly. Most likely it’s just the really heavy hammer spring. Switch back to stock and it’ll probably go away.

All this in my opinion goes to show that with the variety of springs available out there you can probably either fix an issue or cause an issue you never had by fiddling around with spring weights.
    Last edited by Neverhome; 07-23-2020 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall623 View Post
    I have always run Fed primers in my 30 Herrett and 7-30 Waters . I had a bunch of 7-30 ‘s loaded with WLR primers had lot of misfires but I’m not sure on the results , the misfires were getting worse then the hammer spring broke . I have 5 new springs on the way and I will give the WLR’s another go with a new hammer spring .
    Update , I received my 5 pack of Bellm's hammer springs . I installed new springs in both my frames , made it to the range Sat. and took the 7-30 with same box of ammo . The Bellm springs worked perfectly and touch off all the light primer strikes that were in the box .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28