RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: unusual ladle

Boolit Bub

Boolit Bub
    If it is a valuable collector's item then it will have to suffer the same fate as my unused 4 cavity H&G 503 and the apparently first version of the Ideal 429421HP. Forget the exact numbers but they went for over $500 and over $200 on the usual auction site. They can be seen here in case you wish to mourn the loss with me. Really wish I could have kept them.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...10#post4193210

Boolit Master

I saved part of that thread I mentioned earlier. Will try and stick the photo of the LBT soft nose casting rig from it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lbt.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	264825
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Boolit Grand Master
    Well I was wrong, it was not meant for pouring Babbitt bearings.

Nice to have it identified.

Robert

Boolit Bub
    Thank You for giving it a shot!

Boolit Master
    I tell ya I’d love ya find one of those and give it a try. It definitely looks interesting
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Bub
    I have to think it was not a commercial sucess. This leaves me curious what was the reason for the failure of the product. Could it be bottom pour pots? When did bottom pour pots become popular?

Boolit Bub
    A bit of speculation here; Cramer began producing bullet moulds in something like 1937 if my research proves correct. I have no idea when they began making this pressure dipper but if they were making it before WWII the pressure dipper production was probably put on hold when they switched to supporting the war. The only change apparent from the very sketchy illustrations when Saeco took over the production lines seems to be the simpler shape of the turned wood handle and what became the classic 3 groove desighn that helps us spot Saeco moulds on overcrowded gun show tables. The identical mechanism shown in all illustrations makes me wonder if all of them were made before the war and Saeco finished the existing inventory with their own handles after the war. If Saeco had made the cast iron bowl I think it would have their name cast into it. It is not. Saceo should at least be stamped into the small piece of bar stock used to lift the valve. There is no identifying mark on it anywhere.

Do we have any Saeco collectors here that might clear up the mystery?
    This makes 18 posts. That is a little over half way to being able to sell it here in the S&S section.
    Last edited by Bob Fleming; 07-15-2020 at 12:22 AM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Master
    The main difference over a ladle like a Lyman where I start the pour with the spruce plate on the side and put they spout in the hole and rotate both to vertical to use the weight of the lead in the ladle to pressure cast , this ladle would do the same thing but would be less work because you don't have to rotate the mold and ladle together.
    You could just set the ladle on the upright spruce plate and open the valve at the cost of a more complex ladle.
    At least that is how it looks to me.

Boolit Bub
    You can't rotate the mould back sideways when it is full. Rotating the ladle by it's self makes a mess with the extra. Got to be quick. Sudden moves are not good when dealing with molten lead!
    With the pressure dipper you hold the lever down until the mould is full then release it. The machined insert makes a good seal against the sprue plate which helps put pressure inside the mould and keep leaks to a minimum.

It is tempting to try it out but the temperature is hitting or very too close to 100 every day this time of the year.

Boolit Master

I have not seen anything like that before. You guys are a wealth of information........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Fleming View Post
    You can't rotate the mould back sideways when it is full. Rotating the ladle by it's self makes a mess with the extra. Got to be quick. Sudden moves are not good when dealing with molten lead!
    The Lyman cast bullet hand book has a tutorial on pressure casting with the Lyman ladle And the are a few videos on utube that show how you do it , the whole process is slow and controlled and works quite well with single and double cavity molds but there is some technique to be learned.

Boolit Bub
    I have a bottom pour lyman ladle but never used it. It is a weakness some of us bottom pour pot users have. I am in the process of making a 500 pound (6.9 gallons total volume) lead melting and alloy mixing pot and the most challenging aspect has been figuring out a proper bottom pour outlet.

I guess doing it on the cheap is the biggest factor in the challenge.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Fleming View Post
    I have to think it was not a commercial sucess. This leaves me curious what was the reason for the failure of the product. Could it be bottom pour pots? When did bottom pour pots become popular?
    It wasn't a huge success , it worked but had moving parts and it could leak if not kept clean ...Sorta like Lee bottom pour pot mechanisms ... When I bought my first casting tools set up in 1967 the dealer had one but he told me to get the Lyman dipper with the side spout... no moving parts , easier to use and simpler ... I'm pretty sure it was at least 1/2 price of the SAECO dipper .
    I was sold on the simpler side spout dipper and a bet a lot of others were too ... the Lyman was just a better mouse trap. It's still sold to this day and the SAECO dipper is a faded memory !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12