RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what are the best powders to stock up on

Boolit Master

what are the best powders to stock up on

The shortages of the Obama era taught me a lesson and I stocked up on a few powders, some tried and true like the 4350's, blc2, unique, 296 and a few others. but This was right about the time that 8208 was resurrected and several other new powders came out with much fanfare. I bit big on some of these new powders, 223, LVR, 8208, be86, 300mp.
    Well the writings on the wall will elections coming up and the bunker needs restocking anyways. What powders do y'all think are the best to stock up on.

I usually keep a fair amount of the ones I use.
    When I develop a recipe I like, I load, or have the stuff to load a bunch of it.

Trying a few pounds of whatever is the latest and greatest is fine, but I'm sort of past that stage now.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    It depends on what you shoot.

For me, it is Varget, H4895, Clean Shot, Unique, Promo. If I did not have 35 lbs of CleanShot, it would be HP38.

I have others, but the above represents about 90% of my stock.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I use a lot of Bullseye, Unique, 231, 296, HS-6 and Goex. I make sure I have at least 8 lbs of each.

Boolit Master

I have 8lbers of Green dot, Red dot, Unique ,Sport pistol and a 4 lb of Power pistol. And some one pounders of powders i don't use all the time.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Buddy
    With 4350 available at a couple places now, I would get as much as I can.

Varget, CFE223, Red Dot, and black powder I stack deep.

Bullseye, Red Dot, Unique, H110/W296, IMR 4198, IMR 3031, either 4895, IMR 4350, H335, H414/W760, Varget. And a slow burner if you shoot small bore magnums.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

Bullseye, Unique and 2400!

Boolit Master

What powders do you use?

I could give you my list, but that might not do you any good at all.

Figure out how much of each powder you use in a year. Then buy 4X that amount.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

All powders are good to stock up on , find a load that works , all components are good to stock up on , and the time to do it is when there is no panic , when there are sales , when you have the spare cash to do so . I found a couple of months ago that I did not have any more Unique stashed when I thought I did , well IMR target and red were on sale for 119 a 8 pound jug , was a easy decision .

Work up new load with them , am satisfied and added a few more jugs to stash . I find I am buying more shooters world powder as price and use fits what I shoot , I did pass a great buy on the shooters world heavy pistol when Natchezz had it on sale , and I could have used it for other calibers then it is intended for .

Boolit Master
    If I find powder on sale that even though I don’t use I will buy it as I’ve traded with others that wanted it for powder they had that I wanted.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
    If I find powder on sale that even though I don’t use I will buy it as I’ve traded with others that wanted it for powder they had that I wanted.
    That is how I wound up with 35 lbs of CleanShot. How bad can it be??? At $15/lb delivered it was too good a price to pass up on. Hope to wring it out before too long on heavy .38/light .357 loads. I figured if it does not work very well I can use it up in the semi-autos or for 12 ga loads.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FLINTNFIRE View Post
    All powders are good to stock up on ........
    Not to sound flippant but this!!! Oh and not just powder but primers too!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    That is how I wound up with 35 lbs of CleanShot. How bad can it be??? At $15/lb delivered it was too good a price to pass up on. Hope to wring it out before too long on heavy .38/light .357 loads. I figured if it does not work very well I can use it up in the semi-autos or for 12 ga loads.
    That’s a tad bit more than of one kind of powder I go but up to 8 lbs I’m ok with. I did buy 10 lbs of Varget on sale cheap a couple years ago and just got rid of it a few days ago for some Bullseye and Unique. Seems it’s getting hard to find around here.

Boolit Master
    Red Dot, Unique, 2400 and H4198 or H335.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    CleanShot is basically the same as Accurate #2.
    NRA Benefactor.

I stock up on all the ones I normal use . I do not go by what others use because of what they like is different one someone else. Once you found the data that works for you , then that is the powders you want to stock up on . Also like stated if there is something else you like to try get pound and see how it works and then get what you feel ok to have on hand. Like stated also on primers .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Banned

Unique, Bullseye, 2400 and IMR 4895 will cover pretty much all bases and are relatively economical.

I think I'd be more concerned with primers.

Boolit Buddy
    The classic powders are always the ones that go first in a panic, so if you are in "pre-panic" mode, you'll probably want to stock up on stuff like Unique, Power Pistol, H110, Varget, etc. The newer powders are usually the ones that are most available during a panic, so things like BE-86 and Sport Pistol, and all the Shooters World powders, will be available long after Unique has vanished. My advice is to learn to be flexible. Also, primers are definitely more of a concern than powder. I probably have 30-40 lbs of various powders on hand at any given time, but remember that one pound of pistol powder may yield over 1,000 rounds---that's a lot of primers for each pound of powder, not to mention projectiles. Sadly, I do not have 30-40,000 primers on hand, and nowhere near that many bullets, either.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Unique, Bullseye, 2400 and IMR 4895 will cover pretty much all bases and are relatively economical.

I think I'd be more concerned with primers.
    I second this list. With the above powders, I can get MOA or close enough to MOA that it won't matter with most of my firearms.
    I'm sure there are other powder combinations that would fill the bill but those are what I am currently used to

Both powder and primers are important but if push comes to shove, with a little sourcing you can make a useable powder and recharge primers

the question is are you stocking up for a determined amount of time or for the estimated remainder of your life?

you can estimate what you normally use in a year and go from there BUT
    if things go south, you will no longer be plinking and target shooting, and depending on your situation you will be using a lot more or fewer loads than you use to [IE hunting and defense].

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast