RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: 44 mag subsonic noise

Banned

44 mag subsonic noise

More or less than 22WMR from a rifle? A fella I know online hunts hogs over baits with 22WMR at about 40-60 yards because its what the farmer prefers noise wise. Headshots mostly but occasionally lung shots which are obviously not ideal for the calibre. He asked me whether a lever action running subsonic cast or JHP to 1000fps is quieter and I said I honestly dont know, my experience goes from 22LR straight to 223 and that is of course a lot louder. Anyone use 22WMR and can offer a comparison to a subsonic 44 lever?
    Last edited by mickbr; 07-10-2020 at 05:45 AM.

Don't know. I suspect the subsonic 44 load would be louder just because of the significantly larger powder charge.

Banned
    handloading could get the powder charges pretty similar if stepping down to a 44 special case. Off internet searches a 22WMR uses 5.7 - 6.5 grain loads surprisingly and that weight of a powder like red dot or bullseye should get a 44 special in a long barrel to 1000fps.

So fine tuning the question, loudest between

6 grains of unknown powder X in a 22WMR at 1800fps and 25,000 PSI
    vs 6 grains of bullseye or win231 etc in a 44 special at 1000fps at (12-000-14,000 PSI?)

Maybe the bigger bore of the 44 would still blow the 22WMR out of the water noisewise..

Boolit Master
    Not answering your question, but since he’s shooting from a fixed position to a fixed position just hang/set 5 or 6 old tires tied together to form a tube and shoot whatever you want through that.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Ruger 77/.44 my hunting buddy uses 6 grains of Bullseye with 260 Keith for 1050 fps and is very quiet using Gem Tech Tracker supressor Without the can is loud pop, like a cowboy load, not a crack.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Not answering your question, but since he’s shooting from a fixed position to a fixed position just hang/set 5 or 6 old tires tied together to form a tube and shoot whatever you want through that.
    I dont understand sorry, though it is 1230am here so thinking a bit slower than normal.

Boolit Grand Master

Think about a big muffler. The expanding gas (EG) sound enters the first tire inside and expands rapidly in an enclosed area. Then with less velocity the EG enters the next enclosed area slower and so forth. By the time those expanding gases have reach the end of the muffler chambers they are well used and no longer expanding thus more of a "woosh" than a boom.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

A member of my club has a .44 Spl. bolt action rifle with a suppressor on it that is built in Bend, OR. When he shoots at 100 yards, all you hear is the "whoosh" of the bullet going downrange and the sound of the bullet hitting the target. It's very, very quiet, and impressive to shoot. I don't know the brand of suppressor, but it's quite effective.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Banned
    aha well I understand the concept of firing tunnels, have been clearing weapons into them for 25 years military and contracting. First time I have had one suggested in 22 years on the internet for shooting game though .
    For the record he needs a little more manouverability

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    A member of my club has a .44 Spl. bolt action rifle with a suppressor on it that is built in Bend, OR. When he shoots at 100 yards, all you hear is the "whoosh" of the bullet going downrange and the sound of the bullet hitting the target. It's very, very quiet, and impressive to shoot. I don't know the brand of suppressor, but it's quite effective.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    Thanks Fred, unfortunately we cant hunt with supressors here. Wish we could though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Ruger 77/.44 my hunting buddy uses 6 grains of Bullseye with 260 Keith for 1050 fps and is very quiet using Gem Tech Tracker supressor Without the can is loud pop, like a cowboy load, not a crack.
    Thanks Outpost75.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by mickbr View Post
    Off internet searches a 22WMR uses 5.7 - 6.5 grain loads surprisingly and that weight of a powder like red dot or bullseye should get a 44 special in a long barrel to 1000fps.

... Maybe the bigger bore of the 44 would still blow the 22WMR out of the water noise wise.
    No, the .44 will be noticeably quieter, assuming the same length barrel. When the bullet is about to uncork the barrel, the volume behind it will be 4 times as much, so the pressure will be about 1/4, or roughly 12 dB less.
    Last edited by KWK; 07-21-2020 at 11:21 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    22 magnum rifle vs. 44 magnum rifle with sub sonic loads - depending on the powder used in the 44 magnum, it can be considerably "quieter" and not have the near the same sharp crack that 22 magnum has.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mickbr View Post
    aha well I understand the concept of firing tunnels, have been clearing weapons into them for 25 years military and contracting. First time I have had one suggested in 22 years on the internet for shooting game though .
    For the record he needs a little more manouverability
    That’s fair, it’s the first time I’ve suggested it in some 40 years