Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: New Issue of a Gun Magazine I Plan To Keep

Boolit Master

New Issue of a Gun Magazine I Plan To Keep

I hesitated to post this because it opens me up to scorn and ridicule, but here goes. The latest issue of American Handgunner was delivered a few days ago. I usually go front to back to see what might be interesting before I stop to read any articles.

This issue had several articles/columns that caught my eye. There were three entries featuring the .44 Special. I have an interest in .44 Special because I own two revolvers in that cartridge. A S&W 696 and a S&W Model 28(Highway Patrolman) converted to .44 Spec. by Jim Stroh. The first piece by Venturino explaining the differences in various .44 caliber cartridges. Nothing really new but still interesting. The next an article by John Taffin with insights to various .44 Special revolvers. Last but not least an article by editor Huntington about a Hamilton Bowen .44 Special Ruger Bisley. That one especially caught my interest since I have at various times considered a Bowen custom, mostly because he is one of, if not the most skilled smiths working today. Also, he is located in Tennessee, my home state. This one may have kicked me off the fence.

There were a couple of other interesting pieces in the magazine but nothing I couldn't do without.
    John
    W.TN

Its refreshing when all the articles aren't about Glocks and custom 1911s. No scorn or ridicule here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

No ridicule here. Personally I think a person can still learn something occasionally from gun mags. I'll have to check that out thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    American Handgunner and Reloader are the best in my opinion.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Its refreshing when all the articles aren't about Glocks and custom 1911s. No scorn or ridicule here.

"Amen, Brother," in spades. The last three Guns & Ammo Magazines all had "THE latest, most stupendous, colossal, New and improved..." 1911 on the cover.
    I am not ever spending $1500+ on a pistol. I'm no more interested in that than a free date with Ocasio-Cortez.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Vendor Sponsor

AOC would likely think it was a job interview than a date..

Gosh I can't believe I typed AOC!

I have read Taffin and Pearce and a few others that I respect their writing, the rags aren't always bad..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Cool I'm glad to hear it......
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Back in 2016 I threw 50 years of back issues of 4 different gun magazines into the dumpster. I'd moved them in an amount that increased steadily over that time to 4 different locations and just didn't want to do it anymore. I even asked on this forum if anyone wanted them for the shipping, but no takers. I really hated to do it, as there were some rare issues among the boxes and boxes, but truthfully 95% of the information contained in them was just rehashed common knowledge. Occasionally there was a jewel, and I Xeroxed the exceptional articles and kept them in 3 ring binders, so all was not lost. I continue that practice today, but find myself saving fewer and fewer articles.
    I no longer copy the articles, I just cut them out of the magazine and punch holes in them for the binders. I have 3 such big, fat binders for (1) ammo & reloading, (2) specific firearms, (3) general interest and gunsmithing. These make for interesting browsing on long winter nights.

[QUOTE=rintinglen;4943635 I'm no more interested in that than a free date with Ocasio-Cortez.[/QUOTE]

Free, you say?

Boolit Master
    As noted above,, many gun rags are excessive in the amount of stuff on semi-autos. And of course,, it's due to the general popularity of that design in todays market.
    But due to the lack of stuff I find INTERESTING,, I long ago dropped many gun rags. But I do get American Handgunner, & Handloading. It's because of the fact that they are more "rounded" in their content. And while many of the authors in these magazines are excellent,, I do have one whom I feel isn't worth the money. Yet, even he occasionally (rarely) puts out an article that I find read worthy.

No scorn or ridicule here.

Quote Originally Posted by Art in Colorado View Post
    American Handgunner and Reloader are the best in my opinion.
    Those are the only two I read anymore.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Occasionally I will pick up a copy of On Target magazine- free at gun stores. This last issue had a couple of good articles about the Cimmaron 1911 Wild Bunch pistol and the Ruger Wrangler .22 revolver. The rest of the mag was the usual Hi-speed Low-drag Tacticool stuff.

It's funny. I have a subscription to AH,and usually save every issue as I'll re-read them. This issue didn't have anything I was remotely interested in. Just shows, different strokes. I bet you would be tickled if you had Mr. Bowen do his work on a gun for you.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RKJ View Post
    It's funny. I have a subscription to AH,and usually save every issue as I'll re-read them. This issue didn't have anything I was remotely interested in. Just shows, different strokes. I bet you would be tickled if you had Mr. Bowen do his work on a gun for you.
    Absolutely! The only thing that holds me back is my age. I would hate to authorize him to customize a pistol and the lead time extend beyond my lead time. Although one of the sons would be the recipient, so nothing would be wasted.

I've even got a good donor gun. It is a standard Ruger Bisley in .44 Mag. Never been fired.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    I recently threw away 40 years of AH. I hated doing it since it is my favorite and only useful one for me. But space has become a premium for me.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

A couple of years ago I rounded up most of 20 years worth of gun magazines (the paper kind), soaked them in water in 5 gallon buckets for a week- and tested bullets for expansion @100 yards. I thought it more fitting that I got a little more use from them before they went to the dump.

Boolit Master

I don't really save the magazines but I do let them pile up for a couple or three years. Right now my intention is to contact a nearby veterans home and see if they will take them. I have been told that the residents do enjoy them. Not sure what the response will be considering the current situation. Since nursing/assisted living facilities represent almost total risk, they may not be able to take them. If they are at the least receptive for a future donation, I'll hold on to them for awhile longer.
    John
    W.TN