RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking about my next revolver

See posts #12 &#18 IMO. If Ruger makes an aluminum frame 4-5/8” Blackhawk .44 magnum- get that!

In the black hawk .44 and .45 can be pretty well matched for power if you handload. I'd get a vaquero in .45 but i already own a 5.5 .44 and to tell the truth it doesn't tickle my fancy on the power dept loaded with a lee 310 over some 296. If you're thinking you need some wild life protection id move on up to 460 sw
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Agree that because you already load for the .44 Mag. and have a rifle in that caliber, a .44 revolver makes good sense. I would also like to point out that a firearm doesn't need to be run at full-power all the time any more than any other machine.

The great majority of my .44 Magnum loads used in both revolvers and lever-rifles, approximate .44-40 or .45 Colt payload and velocity. East of the Mississippi there are no predators big enough to eat'cha, so a subsonic revolver load in a caliber starting with a "4" throwing a half-ounce or so of lead is fully adequate for most work a revolver is called upon to do. That same subsonic revolver load will do about 1250-1300 fps in a rifle and you do not need hard lead or gaschecks. A flat-nosed cowboy bullet with large meplat, cast of soft 1 to 30 tin-lead alloy does not lead, and performs well on game at woods ranges within 100 yards or so. If you aren't shooting mastadons a bullet from 200-240 grains is fully adequate. I like Accujrate 43-229H, which weighs 232 grains in my soft alloy or 229 grains in wheelweights:

Attachment 264693

You will find that "medium" velocity loads are still accurate and effective, and they are also more economical and pleasant to shoot. Getting 1000 rounds from a pound of Bullseye or TiteGroup powder has a rather nice ring to it, and the deer cannot tell the difference.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    You will never regret a .357 Mag.

It can be loaded light with cheap .38 Spl brass and heavy enough for deer at close range. Effective against two legged varmints too.

I would not suggest a SA revolver, but that is me. I have two Colt SAA's and love them but the lack of adjustable sights limits the loads you can shoot to POA.
    Yep. A 4” double action 38/357 ( colt trooper, Smith 19 or GP100 type) is a wonderful useful handgun that can be used in so many rolls. It’s similar to a dual sport motorcycle. Often in these situations we think a same caliber handgun as rifle would be preferred, but today that usefulness is really not ever needed. If your truly primary roll is a back up, it’s a good chance it will never be needed. So in that thinking, it’s size and weight are a big factor. If you go with a 44 mag. handgun, most will download to enjoy shooting the beast. I have a wonderfully light charter arms target bulldog 44 special 4” and fired a few of the skeeter loads out of it but it’s is most enjoyable with standard 44 special leadings.

As usual, just my .02.

I like smkummer’s suggestion of the model 19. It’s always been one of my favorite handguns. You can shoot it comfortably all day with .38 specials, then load it up with full power .357 mags when you trek into the woods. Besides, it’s just a great handgun...or maybe the stainless version, model 66.
    Mould forth, and load in peace.

Boolit Master
    I do believe you stated single action, yes? All the 69's, 629's, what have you, won't give you a single action (unless you cock it of course).

You've already picked it. A Super Blackhawk is hard to beat and you're already using a 44 Magnum, so that was easy. Whether you get blued or SS is a choice you'll decide on and as it's a back up, a 7.5" barrel is quite long. The 4 5/8" barrel is a favorite of mine, but a 5.5" is hard to beat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12