RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: the 17

Boolit Master

the 17

well they came out with the 17 mag then the 17 mach buddy give me a box of win 17 super mag they have to have a special gun. the 17 mag was useless past 50 yds
    17gr at 3000fps the bullet will melt

Boolit Buddy

I have sent a many a ground hog to the Big Pasture with the 17 Mach 2 out of a 14" Contender. Most are from around the barn behind my house. Distances from 55-80 yards so far. Even have a couple of 17 centerfires. 17 Squirrel, 17 Hornet, and 17 Ackley Bee.
    Last edited by Kylongrifle32; 07-09-2020 at 10:35 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by too many things View Post
    well they came out with the 17 mag then the 17 mach buddy give me a box of win 17 super mag they have to have a special gun. the 17 mag was useless past 50 yds
    17gr at 3000fps the bullet will melt
    The 17 HMR was first than the 17 Mach 2 than the 17 WSM. I have the 17 Mach 2 and the 17 HMR. I shoot the 17 HMR the most. I am heading out of state tomorrow to shoot prairie dogs. The 17 HMR is awesome for under 175 yards on PD's on a claim day. Normal breezy days 100 to 125 yard is more realistic. I have cleanly killed PD's at 250 yards with it but that is pushing the limits of that cartridge.

I order 17 HMR by the 2,000 round cases. I just open my 7th case. Having killed 8,000 plus prairie dogs with a 17 HMR mostly between 50 and 150 yards your claim it's useless past 50 yard is interesting and 180 degrees opposite of my experiences.

A buddy is using the 17 WSM and it does add 50 or 75 yards over the 17 HMR. He also has a 17 Remington that he is pushing to 4,400 FPS and no the bullets don't melt. Fouling is the big issue with the 17 Remington. The guys using the 17 Fireball have been very happy with it at 4,000 with 20 grain bullets and 3,750 with 25 grain bullets and no the bullets don't melt.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 07-10-2020 at 01:54 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Yep, it’ll disentergrate in what it hits! I have a 17HMR rifle, deadly on ground hogs out a good ways, 100 yards probably. I am not a big fan but it has its uses, just too loud for my tastes, that new Winchester 17 I bet is EXPLOSIVE! Where I live and what I hunt, the plain old 22LR works for me. But, by no means should you disregard any of the 17s for varmit hunting, they work well!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

My .17 HMR is the probably my most accurate rifle at the moment. Was reluctant to say this but when you can punch out paper the size of a quarter at 100 yards, it leaves little to be desired. I even surprised myself!
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

The .17 HMR beats the .22 WMR hands down in accuracy. It’s a very popular sub 200 yard varmint gun around here. I know a couple of guys that use it for turkey hunting and quite successfully I might add. It’s a good one.

Boolit Master

I've got a 17 WSM. It's an awesome rifle. Those up armored opossums around here, and even the regular ones don't move a step when hit.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    I’ve got a Ruger 77/17 in 17 Mach 2. I use it for headshots on squirrels and jackrabbits. I wouldn’t use it for anything bigger. Fun little cartridge.

Boolit Master
    I have traded into a 17 M2 charger barrel and bolt, yet to shoot it. May wait till my suppressor gets here. I hear they are right loud at 10 inches barrel! Thinking it may be great for squirrels suppressed.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Attachment 264654
    Here’s the last six shots left in the box and I shot them up at 75 yards. The gun easily shoots five shot groups at 100yds sub 1moa. My first woodchuck shot with this gun (CZ 455 17hmr) was at a lasered 208 yards and never moved. The orange dot is 7/8 inch

Need to design a 17 swift
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Haven't shot it much but here is my 17 HMR I built.
    Needs a stronger hammer spring, sometimes takes 2 hits to fire.Attachment 264723

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ozark mike View Post
    Need to design a 17 swift
    It's been done as early as the 60's but the real issue is fouling problems with the larger cases. The 17 Remington is a prime example. The smaller case 17 Hornet and 17 Fireball don't seem share this issue. It also depends on intended usage. Fox hunters tend to really like the 17 Remington. Prairie dog shooters not so much.

That being said I haven't played with the 17 Remington since the mid 80's I have read the fouling issues are not as big of issue today as in the past.

For centerfire 20 cal is as same as I will go. Getting stick powder to flow through a 17 cal. neck is a joy that I hope to never experience again.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 07-11-2020 at 06:51 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Haven't shot it much but here is my 17 HMR I built.
    Needs a stronger hammer spring, sometimes takes 2 hits to fire.Attachment 264723
    Ah, A Chicopee !

Jedman

Fouling/cleaning problems aside, those .17 rimfires are NOISY! So much so that I long ago shelved any plan to build one. But I'm thankful for the .17 WSM. The case can be reformed to make a passable .25 Stevens rimfire.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4354.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	264944

Name:	DSCN4351.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	143.8 KB 
ID:	264945

Name:	DSCN4357.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	264946

Name:	Cat richardsons 30-3-19 (3).jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	264947

None of these guys said the 17HMR was useless. And some were well beyond 50 yards some a lot closer. Just a small snippet of what the little Marlin has stung.

Texting my brother in Montana- he is encamped by an old homestead with a prairie dog town over the rise. He has killed 23 for 30 shots with his Savage .17 HMR at ranges up to 250 yards on still days in the past week. I have a very nice HB stainless thumb hole laminate Savage .17 in the safe- but I want a sporter weight Marlin for truck use.
    Lt. Frank- is that a Aussie version of a feral housecat or a breed of wild cat? It's a big 'un and good on you for killing that murderer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Texas by God; 07-17-2020 at 09:45 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I didn't think to take pic but was out shooting prairie dogs yesterday. It was almost zero wind so 17 HMR was working very well for under 200 yard shots. Killed close to a hundred with it . Most were 50 to 125 yards but a lot between 125 and 200 discovered it's effectiveness. Same for the coyote at about 110 yards. Used a 17 Mach 2 to kill a 60 pound beaver at about 75 yards will a single headshot a couple of weeks ago.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Texting my brother in Montana- he is encamped by an old homestead with a prairie dog town over the rise. He has killed 23 for 30 shots with his Savage .17 HMR at ranges up to 250 yards on still days in the past week. I have a very nice HB stainless thumb hole laminate Savage .17 in the safe- but I want a sporter weight Marlin for truck use.
    Let. Frank- is that a Aussie version of a feral housecat or a breed of wild cat? It's a big 'un and good on you for killing that murderer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Just an average feral house-cat. One of many that has come into the fox caller. Cats can often come in harder and faster than foxes.
    A good example here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzN908O3KBY