RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication

Thread: 40s&w/ 10mm boolits

40s&w/ 10mm boolits

Is there one booilit weight that works well in both calibers, I’ll be loading for Ruger Blackhawk w/ 40s&w/ 10mm cylinders & 4 5/8” barrel?

Boolit Master

My blackhawk 40sw/10mm took me awhile to master. It drove me nuts lol. I load 180 grain coated cast. I finally zeroed it with the 10mm loads. And aim lower for 40sw. Powder im running is Aliant sport pistol. I keep the 10mm loads mild. 4.5 grains for the 40's and 5.5 for the 10mm.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I load Accurate 40-182H and 40-220H in mine

Attachment 264623Attachment 264624Attachment 264625
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Thanks Gentlemen, I’ve recently picked up two Ruger Blkhawk convertibles 347/9mm & 10mm/40s&w, a couple of “COVID” projects, thanks again��

Thanks Gentlemen, I’ve recently picked up two Ruger Blkhawk convertibles 357/9mm & 10mm/40s&w, a couple of “COVID” projects, thanks again��

Boolit Master

YW and congrats on the new guns.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Grand Master

I’ve used 180gr TC design in both for years. HS-6 for 40 and BlueDot for 10mm

Big A, I truly enjoy the Blackhawk/ cast boolit experience, my pistol caliber reloading has been w/ a progressive press ( Dillon SDB) & mostly jacketed projectiles. Single stage press for all rifle calibers but I’m going single stage for both now. Do you use any coated boolits in 9mm, 40sw/10mm or 41mag? I’ll be using single action revolvers, all 4 5/8” bl.

Thanks “Doc”, I’ll start the R&D!��

Boolit Master
    I have a 200 grain flat point cast that I like really, really well. I used the program on Mountain Molds to design the mold. Works well in a 40 S&W so far.

Boolit Master

Yes i use Hi-tek coated. And copper plated some times. I have Hornady XTP loads too for in the woods. I do pistol on my Lee turret press. And just started doing rifle on my Lyman brass smith press. It don't flex. So it's as stable as my single stages are.
    One round at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I load Accurate 40-182H and 40-220H in mine

Outpost, If you dont mind sharing what youre loading those 220s with it would be much appreciated.

I have a couple hundred powder coated 220s that have been sitting in my cabinet for a while and I still havent made up my mind what powder to load them with. I was mainly planning on using them for the 10mm. So any info I can gather is great.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by skrapyard628 View Post
    Outpost, If you dont mind sharing what youre loading those 220s with it would be much appreciated.

I have a couple hundred powder coated 220s that have been sitting in my cabinet for a while and I still havent made up my mind what powder to load them with. I was mainly planning on using them for the 10mm. So any info I can gather is great.
    In the Ruger revolver 7.4 grains of AutoComp. Seating out to OAL 1.24" is CRITICAL as increasing seating depth causes a dangerous pressure spike in a small case like the .40 S&W! The long nose of Accurate slug fits length of revolver cylinder but at 1.24" OAL does NOT fit a .40 S&W autopistol magazine. It was designed and intended to be that way so hot "Ruger Only" loads don't get into a plastic pistol by mistake.

I also use a 250-grain bullet with 3.5 grains of Bullseye in the .40, performs like a semi-auto .455 Webley.
    In the 10mm Ruger revolver use a case capacity charge of H110 for 1080 fps from a 4-5/8" barrel.

Attachment 264641
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    In the Ruger revolver 7.4 grains of AutoComp. Seating out to OAL 1.24" is CRITICAL as increasing seating depth causes a dangerous pressure spike in a small case like the .40 S&W!

Im not necessarily planning to use the 220s for 40sw. But that OAL has me thinking about the "poor mans 10mm ammo" by using 40sw cases with that bullet and running them out of a G20.

Or I just keep it safe and load 10mm brass at a standard OAL of 1.250 for 10mm.

Either way thanks for the reply!

Boolit Master

IMO, the .40 S&W is best with 160 gr. The 10 mm can make a 160 scream, and for protection against critters like large bears it makes the 200 gr perform quite well. So, if you only want ONE weight for both, 160 is it.

Let me specify that my response if for use in semi-auto pistols. Heavy duty revolvers are a different world.