WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: 95 Grain Hunter's Supply for 9mm Luger and either Unique or H110? Carbine & Pistol?

95 Grain Hunter's Supply for 9mm Luger and either Unique or H110? Carbine & Pistol?

Howdy guys,

I got a box of 250 Hunter's Supply pentagon hollow point cast lead projectiles that I'd like to load for both my Diamondback pistols and my 9mm carbines (Kel-Tec Sub2000 and a Hi-Point). It's not easy to find load data on this, especially since Alliant really wants you to only buy THEIR products to use with the powder you buy from them. I have Unique, Titegroup, and H110 on hand, although the H110 was mostly purchased for loading .357 for my Marlin and revolvers. So, any of you guys try this bullet out and what are your favorite loads for it?

-Michael in Tucson
    Last edited by SirNomad; 07-09-2020 at 10:01 AM.

Some of my older Speer manuals list that weight in the 9mm I'm sure unique is one of the powders listed but doubt H110 is
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

H110 is way to slow for the 9mm. You'd have nothing but problems loading it. If I had to guess I'd say you would end up with lots of unburnt powder, maybe even a squib, or worse yet a detonation. The primer could drive the bullet into the barrel then the powder would start to burn.

Hodgdon has data for a 95 gr j-word bullet. Of course Alliant is only going to have data for Alliant powders.
    NRA Benefactor.

Yeah, I saw the load data for 95 grain jacketed, but not for cast lead. I'm not sure how the cast lead vs the jacketed will affect the powder charge with the same weight projectiles.

Quote Originally Posted by SirNomad View Post
    Yeah, I saw the load data for 95 grain jacketed, but not for cast lead. I'm not sure how the cast lead vs the jacketed will affect the powder charge with the same weight projectiles.
    You can compare jacketed and cast lead in other bullet weights in the 9mm and get a good idea of the difference, if any.

Boolit Master

This is why i wish folks would buy and use data books. Not just one or 2. The more info you gave on hand. the better. But here 5.0-6.8 of Unique for the 92gr bullet. From lyman's cast. T,G i had leading issues with cast in 9mm.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

from Lyman pistol & revolver handbookAttachment 264667Attachment 264667

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    This is why i wish folks would buy and use data books. Not just one or 2. The more info you gave on hand. the better. But here 5.0-6.8 of Unique for the 92gr bullet. From lyman's cast. T,G i had leading issues with cast in 9mm.
    I have several and all that I checked had 95 jacketed, but no cast. It's not feasible for me to track down every reloading book that has been printed, but I have over a dozen on hand.

Boolit Master

Cool nice library. If you decide to add more . I highly recommend Lyman's 3rd and 4th cast editions. They each have loads the other does not.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Buddy
    Lyman Reloading Manual #47 has data for a 92 gr RN cast bullet and a 100 gr Conical.
    92 gr RN, start load of 5.0 gr Unique (1065 fps) and a MAX load of 6.8 gr of Unique(1325 fps)
    200 gr Conical, start load is 4.2 gr Unique (1193 fps) and a MAX load of 4.7 gr Unique (1329 fps).

Quote Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post
    Lyman Reloading Manual #47 has data for a 92 gr RN cast bullet and a 100 gr Conical.
    92 gr RN, start load of 5.0 gr Unique (1065 fps) and a MAX load of 6.8 gr of Unique(1325 fps)
    200 gr Conical, start load is 4.2 gr Unique (1193 fps) and a MAX load of 4.7 gr Unique (1329 fps).
    That's helpful! It's not in the Lyman 48th edition. Really annoying they took loads out. Wish they wouldn't do that unless the load turns out unsafe somehow.

BAM! Just bought a copy on eBay for about 15 clams. Gotta love it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    Were you using commercial cast or ones that you cast yourself? What I have are the Hunter's Supply 9mm hollow points, 95 grain.