RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Repackbox

Thread: 7.5x54 french in Mas 36/51

7.5x54 french in Mas 36/51

Hi all!

Recently got a mas 36/51 in very good shape and after some cleaning and some dry firing, the rifle is too short with a less than desirable trigger... Does someone here have good results in these with cast? I have some brass to go with it and from what i've heard it takes 0.308'' jacketed bullets. I'm thinking about some 7.62x51 light cast loads with 0,311 bullets. But, at first does someone here have any experience using cast bullets in these rifles?
    We really need a Ar-15 subforum!

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC10548.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	264628Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC10545.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	264629My https://leeprecision.com/files/produ...ulletMolds.jpg

My MAS 36 slugs at L.297/G.307 and it performs well with the 160gn Lee 7.62x39 .312 bullet, gas checked to .309 and lubed with LLA.

My powders of choice are Accurate 5744 and Alliant Reloader 7.

I fitted a genuine MAS recoil pad to extend the stock on mine which I sourced from Numrich, they come in either 20mm or 30mm thicknesses.

To lighten the trigger pull, swap out the original MAS firing pin spring for a cut down M1 carbine recoil spring.

I did this and the trigger pull on mine went from 81/2lbs to 5lbs.

Cut the M1 spring down to about 2 1/2" longer than the MAS spring to start with and then carefully remove a coil at a time until you get the desired pull you want.

Don't overdo it otherwise you will end up with light strikes.

Hope this is of use.

ukrifleman
    Last edited by ukrifleman; 07-09-2020 at 12:50 PM.

Interesting rifles. There's a sort of general information article by Payton Miller in the Sept. 2020 issue of Guns Magazine. I have one of these, acquired back in about 1978, years before they hit our shores in quantity as surplus. Although nice examples such as yours will have matching serial numbers on all of the major component parts, mine has no two the same. It didn't come with a recorded history, so where it came from and how it came to be a parts gun will always remain a mystery. I paid $75.00 for it then, and imagine that it isn't worth much more now-- but at the time it was a novelty. I have well over 100 pieces of boxer-primed brass for it, purchased from Graf's "back when." It does use .308" jacketed bullets, and .310" cast work well also. I use IMR 4895, but haven't shot mine in many a moon.

Quote Originally Posted by ukrifleman View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC10548.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	264628Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC10545.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	264629My https://leeprecision.com/files/produ...ulletMolds.jpg

My MAS 36 slugs at L.297/G.307 and it performs well with the 160gn Lee 7.62x39 .312 bullet, gas checked to .309 and lubed with LLA.

My powders of choice are Accurate 5744 and Alliant Reloader 7.

I fitted a genuine MAS recoil pad to extend the stock on mine which I sourced from Numrich, they come in either 20mm or 30mm thicknesses.

To lighten the trigger pull, swap out the original MAS firing pin spring for a cut down M1 carbine recoil spring.

I did this and the trigger pull on mine went from 81/2lbs to 5lbs.

Cut the M1 spring down to about 2 1/2" longer than the MAS spring to start with and then carefully remove a coil at a time until you get the desired pull you want.

Don't overdo it otherwise you will end up with light strikes.

Hope this is of use.

ukrifleman
    Thank you sir!

On the accuracy side, what kind of group this rifle is able to do? Say at 100Y with the lee 155gr.
    We really need a Ar-15 subforum!