Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Maximum length cartridge.

Boolit Master

It may depend ion which rollers action you have. I had a Navy Arms in 45-70 once and had to trim the face off the hammer a tad to get really heavy pills into it. Ken Waters discussed this a bit IIRC. Bullet selection plays a role as well. Shorty's work, but that Lyman 462560 won't go. Too much nose. Great shooting bullet. Hope that helps a bit. There are limits at least in that gun/action/caliber. My original 7mm seems to take anything. My Danish (?) in pseudo 47-70 seems to take about anything, but I not loaded a full spectrum of bullets as the twist is about 1 in 36. I got a kick out of some of your responses. I can't speak to all rollers, but the Navy arms in 45-70 does have limits.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    M-Tecs, if the 45-90 would work, than it's likely the Winchester 405 would be a good candidate too, be it loaded with black and cast

Boolit Master
    I would assume that all the Swedish rifles used the # 1 action on all their models, so if you can find an advertisment of Remington Rifles, I'm sure they offered the biggest cartridges that would fit, trying to keep pace with their main competition, the Sharps Rifle. I recall seeing a copy of correspondence from the Freund gun shop inquiring about a rifle in .50 cal, and Remington replied that they only offered in .50-70, because of a safety issue? or maybe a longer .50 just would not fit?

Boolit Grand Master

As I stated I have limited knowledge of RB's. Not sure how the longer bullets chamber in a 45-90.

They do make them.

https://sr-gunworks.com/remington-ro...lock-in-45-90/

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101441591

https://gundigest.com/gun-reviews/remrollingblack_part1
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    As I stated I have limited knowledge of RB's. Not sure how the longer bullets chamber in a 45-90.

They do make them.

https://sr-gunworks.com/remington-ro...lock-in-45-90/

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101441591

https://gundigest.com/gun-reviews/remrollingblack_part1

Thanks M. Nice read on the project rolling block. Some good stuff to keep in mind.

Boolit Master
    I have a Navy Arms chambered in 50-140-3.25. The hammer was modified to clear the rim.
    swamp

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM0665[1].jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	264645
    Last edited by swamp; 07-09-2020 at 09:42 PM.
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Master
    I had a old Remington #1 that I rebarrled to 45/90

Swamp, that is one sweet looking RB. What are you shooting for cast?

Boolit Master
    I have a Hoch 650gr. and the Lyman 515141 for light loads. It has a 30 inch 1 1/8 barrel. It is not a woods rifle.
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Bottleneck cartridges like the .44-77 SBN make it even easier to chamber since the bottleneck allows the cartridge to enter the chamber at an angle. It's the long, straight wall, large diameter cases that create issues. The .40-82 might be one that wont give a problem based on the smaller .40 caliber neck allowing for angled entry to the chamber. Doubt you'll even need to clearance the hammer.

Well I kept thinking all night where I put that bag I just got from slam45 that had a few new Jamison 405 Winchester cases. So started digging around and came up with it after only 30 minutes. Absolutely no problem getting it to enter the chamber.....tho the existing chamber mouth is a bit larger than the 405 would be since it is still chambered for 8x58RD. Things are looking up. May just have another toy going off to JES for a change over.

Boolit Master
    Just curious, what do you think JES can rebore an 8x58RD to?? Fairly wide base on the 8x58RD and fairly thin barrel at the muzzle. Just wondering. I think the 8x58's make dandy little sporters as they are but something on the same platform punching a little bigger hole would be nice. Keep us posted on the JES thing. Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Does anybody know the maximum length cartridge that a rolling block will allow to be chambered.
    Depends on the nose ogive of the bullet and how far out seated into the case. There are bore riding bullets that will fit into the leading bore cuts and others like the 457124 and 457125 with fat ogives that are SAMMI overall length (OAL) dependent
    Best recommendation: Buy a Lyman #4 Reloading Manual - choose the bullet you plan to shoot and it will identify the OAL for that bullet. And be sure to reload one round and test that in your rifle before reloading them all
    Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by RustyReel View Post
    Just curious, what do you think JES can rebore an 8x58RD to?? Fairly wide base on the 8x58RD and fairly thin barrel at the muzzle. Just wondering. I think the 8x58's make dandy little sporters as they are but something on the same platform punching a little bigger hole would be nice. Keep us posted on the JES thing. Thanks.
    RR, from what I've looked at so far, the following measurements are as follows.
    1. This would be a BP shooter.
    2. Existing donor is a swede roller currently chambered for the 8x58RD
    3. This is a case hardened action for shooting the EARLY smokeless powders so no issues shooting BP in it.
    4. Basic measurements for the 8x58RD. Rim: .579. Rim thickness: .063 Base dia: .505.
    5. Basic measurements for the 45x110. Rim: .608 Rim thickness: .070 Base dia: .505
    Looks to me that any basic 45-90, 45-110, reamer would clean up all of the old chamber and rim, with the barrel rebored to .458 or .459 and shortened only enough to provide the needed wall thickness and recrowned it would seem a 45-90 or 45-110 would be feasible. Something to run by Jesse for sure though. I suppose one could drill and sleeve the chamber for something like the 40-82 winny with the rebore to .410, and shoot only black might be possible and less expensive than new barrel and all that is entailed with that. Good food for thought.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    RR, from what I've looked at so far, the following measurements are as follows.
    1. This would be a BP shooter.
    2. Existing donor is a swede roller currently chambered for the 8x58RD
    3. This is a case hardened action for shooting the EARLY smokeless powders so no issues shooting BP in it.
    4. Basic measurements for the 8x58RD. Rim: .579. Rim thickness: .063 Base dia: .505.
    5. Basic measurements for the 45x110. Rim: .608 Rim thickness: .070 Base dia: .505
    Looks to me that any basic 45-90, 45-110, reamer would clean up all of the old chamber and rim, with the barrel rebored to .458 or .459 and shortened only enough to provide the needed wall thickness and recrowned it would seem a 45-90 or 45-110 would be feasible. Something to run by Jesse for sure though. I suppose one could drill and sleeve the chamber for something like the 40-82 winny with the rebore to .410, and shoot only black might be possible and less expensive than new barrel and all that is entailed with that. Good food for thought.

Makes sense if you are going to shorten the barrel a bit. I kinda did a back of the envelope type thing looking into what would work without shortening the barrel and keeping the sights that come on the sporter version. My muzzle measured about .62 so a 40 was about as large as I could go. I couldn't find any reasonable available 40 that would clean up the 8x58 chamber. My thought was to buy one of the poor bore rolling blocks they list from time to time and have it freshened up to a 40 something. Never really thought about shortening the barrel....should work.

One could bore the chamber on the 8x58 and then sleeve it down first. Then bore out the rifling and re-rifle it to the .40 caliber. Then simply ream the chamber to the new case you want. Saves setting back the barrel, and saves money for the cost of setting it back and threading, headspacing it again. Not to mention reworking the forearm, etc. to allow for barrel setback.

Boolit Master
    Having just gotten into shooting a 8x58RD, Why would one want to change it, if the bore is good. Mine is very accurate, and has no bad habits as of yet. I have not even started to load J words but will be giving it a go soon.

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    One could bore the chamber on the 8x58 and then sleeve it down first. Then bore out the rifling and re-rifle it to the .40 caliber. Then simply ream the chamber to the new case you want. Saves setting back the barrel, and saves money for the cost of setting it back and threading, headspacing it again. Not to mention reworking the forearm, etc. to allow for barrel setback.
    That's what I was thinking if I was to go with the 40 and using this roller, just was not sure if it was a do-a-ble procedure cause I do not know a thing about gunsmithing.

Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    Having just gotten into shooting a 8x58RD, Why would one want to change it, if the bore is good. Mine is very accurate, and has no bad habits as of yet. I have not even started to load J words but will be giving it a go soon.
    Ahhhhhh koger, that's cause you haven't been bit by the hugebattery bug yet. If I can have three or four of these inexpensive rollers and have some made into other calibers that interest me at a great price and not a lot of time to do it, well, that's what I do. I already have one in that caliber, and I don't plan on changing it. I would like to get two or three more of same caliber and then have them rechambered into........oh maybe a 40-82, a 45-90, or maybe the 405 Jes. all for just a few bucks.

I have a Swedish rolling block shotgun in 24 ga. and it has a action very similar to the Remington no. 1 1/2 in size and shape which is a very nice size. The 24 ga. shot shells are as large in diameter as most any centerfire cartridge you would use and the length would not matter I don’t believe.
    They fit very closely over the breech block.

Jedman

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast