Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Maximum length cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    That's what I was thinking if I was to go with the 40 and using this roller, just was not sure if it was a do-a-ble procedure cause I do not know a thing about gunsmithing.
    Contact John Taylor here and ask him if he thinks it's doable. He's done chamber sleeving before, and could tell you if yours is one that could be done.

Boolit Master
    MOA, you are wrong my friend, I have been bitten by the singleshot/bigbore bug very badly. I currently have 14 of them, from8x58R. 38/55, 45/70, 50/70, 12.7x33R. I am selling off a large part of my collection, to further advance my addiction.

Boolit Grand Master

Dia of the cartridge also has a bearing on the length a larger dia will need to be shorter. A 45 2.4 may be the longest 45 wit a 38 cal may be able to be 2.6 or 2.8 long as the smaller dia rim will clear easier.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Dia of the cartridge also has a bearing on the length a larger dia will need to be shorter. A 45 2.4 may be the longest 45 wit a 38 cal may be able to be 2.6 or 2.8 long as the smaller dia rim will clear easier.
    That's what I said earlier.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    MOA, you are wrong my friend, I have been bitten by the singleshot/bigbore bug very badly. I currently have 14 of them, from8x58R. 38/55, 45/70, 50/70, 12.7x33R. I am selling off a large part of my collection, to further advance my addiction.
    Ha, ha, ha. So I guess I'm in good company with the singleshot affliction. I am lucky only the long arm bug bit me.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by wwmartin View Post
    I've had no problems with my Green Mountain barrel and chambered in 40-82WCF on a #5 smokeless receiver.
    WW
    Was just looking over their site. Saw nothing offered in 40 with octagon barrel. Only round. If I have to replace a barrel on a roller I sure as heck won't be spending that kind of money an end up with a round one. So most likely GM won't be getting my money on a 40 barrel.

Was just looking over their site. Saw nothing offered in 40 with octagon barrel. Only round. If I have to replace a barrel on a roller I sure as heck won't be spending that kind of money an end up with a round one. So most likely GM won't be getting my money on a 40 barrel.
    They still list a lot of .40 cal. octagon barrels. They're under BPCR tapered octagon barrels. I've bought numerous .40 and .45 caliber tapered octagon from GM.

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/classic...eatured&page=2

The .40-65 barrels shown are 1:16" twist, and .40-82 barrels are 1:14" twist. I'd probably go for the faster twist 1:14" twist, which will allow you to try even heavier bullets if you want too. But they're also about $45 cheaper. A #4 weight 14" twist 35" length is $325.

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/w401436...-octagon-bpcr/

Boolit Master
    I did the math on those a year or so ago. I don't have the skills or the tools to install one of these myself so once someone else installs it I would have over $800 in a surplus military rifle with a new barrel, still needing sights and finishing. New stocks push the price way up. Makes the used Pedersoli I passed up for a grand look like a real bargain.

A rebore of one of the Swedes would be something I would consider if it were a simple rebore. As things are, I'm quite happy shootin' them as 8 and 12.7 mm's.

It's pretty easy to get $1200 tied up in building a Rolling Block from a donor rifle. But much less than any other action a guy could build from. Most others could cost you that amount, or close to it just for the action alone!
    I still prefer using old military actions, and building exactly what I want vs. buying a new made Pedersoli. Nothing at all against the Pedersoli rifles, as they're great guns. I just like using old actions, and being able to choose my caliber and barrel weight and length. Plus I find donor actions occasionally around $100-$200, and sometimes even less. So hat's enough incentive to build another.

I think I'll probably send three 8x58RD to Jessse. One to be bored and chambered to 45-110, another bored and chambered to 405 Winchester, and the last bored and chambered to 40 krag. Now that should keep me busy and off the streets for a while.

Boolit Master
    I think I'll probably send three 8x58RD to Jessse. One to be bored and chambered to 45-110, another bored and chambered to 405 Winchester, and the last bored and chambered to 40 krag. Now that should keep me busy and off the streets for a while.
    Please keep us posted!! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyReel View Post
    Please keep us posted!! Thanks.

Will do.
    Last edited by MOA; 07-15-2020 at 03:41 PM.

Hope there's enough barrel diameter to bore to .45 caliber!

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    Hope there's enough barrel diameter to bore to .45 caliber!
    Well, me too. I think there should be. These have over 30" barrels in most cases so if I have to shorten them by a few inches to get into more barrel diameter it will most likely be ok. If not, then I'll start to make other plans on calibers.

Boolit Master
    Just saw a Swede listed on GB that claims to be in 32-40. Kinda looks like the barrel had been set back but I'm not certain. I'm guessing that isn't an inexpensive option either??

MOA, I know it's only been a couple of weeks, but any update?

Quote Originally Posted by RustyReel View Post
    Just saw a Swede listed on GB that claims to be in 32-40. Kinda looks like the barrel had been set back but I'm not certain. I'm guessing that isn't an inexpensive option either??

MOA, I know it's only been a couple of weeks, but any update?
    Hey RR. No update as of now. Will have more over the next month or so. A slight side road to travel the next thirty days or so. I'm driving a 26 ft. penske from Mobile Alabama to Concho AZ. First leg done. Checked in to hotel and on the road tomorrow. Whole new climate to live in now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123