RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reverse Glocked brass.

I took a good friend to the range for some plinking one day. There were two Handi rifles along. One in 357 and one in 30-30. Yep, he fired a 357 in the 30-30. Surprisingly the lead bullet swaged down enough to exit the bore and the case split like the ones pictured above. I've quit being concerned if cast bullets are a bit larger than the bore slugs if they chamber with a couple thousandths clearance Gp

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    You've just discovered the latest invention - instead of "bottle neck" casings you found the new "funnel mouth" cartridge case.

I have a feeling that such things happen more often than folks will admit. Mainly by those who don't take the time to pay attention to what they are doing or are distracted - which means that maybe they shouldn't be shooting those days. A few years ago, I was at a range with a friend of mine shooting pistols. H's no "slouch" - retired AF, very mechanical and a former flight engineer. His wife was with us and she had a Sig .380 she was firing - her personal pistol. My friend was firing his Springfield 9mm. Evidently, he and his wife switched handguns for a few magazines. All of a sudden, he came over to my shooting slot and said he was having problems. He had fired three rounds but all of them had to be hand ejected. I took a look and yep, he had mixed .380s in with 9mm. Fortunately, no one got hurt and no damage was done to his pistol - that was my first personal experience with "head spacing on the ejector".

Boolit Master
    This thread explains the 308 in the right photo. The straight walled version was fired in a 308 Norma Magnum Browning Rifle. It must have been held in place by the extractor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 44in45chamber.jpg   Brass.jpg  
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Buddy
    Years ago during I was at pre-season sight-in days before fall hunting at a range in the upper Midwest. One poor fellow was obviously annoyed, because he could not get any accuracy out of his sporterized Mauser. The fired cases looked odd, and I asked him a few times if he was sure he had the right ammo--he became quite testy in his replies, assuring me that he knew his rifle was chambered for "Mauser." Turns out 7x57 ammo is not all that accurate when fired in an 8x57 rifle. I recommended he get the "next larger size" for his rifle--I hope he listened.

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    You've just discovered the latest invention - instead of "bottle neck" casings you found the new "funnel mouth" cartridge case.

I have a feeling that such things happen more often than folks will admit. Mainly by those who don't take the time to pay attention to what they are doing or are distracted - which means that maybe they shouldn't be shooting those days. A few years ago, I was at a range with a friend of mine shooting pistols. H's no "slouch" - retired AF, very mechanical and a former flight engineer. His wife was with us and she had a Sig .380 she was firing - her personal pistol. My friend was firing his Springfield 9mm. Evidently, he and his wife switched handguns for a few magazines. All of a sudden, he came over to my shooting slot and said he was having problems. He had fired three rounds but all of them had to be hand ejected. I took a look and yep, he had mixed .380s in with 9mm. Fortunately, no one got hurt and no damage was done to his pistol - that was my first personal experience with "head spacing on the ejector".
    This is kind of amusing.
    He is evidently enough of a "slouch" that he had to come to you to figure out what was wrong.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12