MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 223 mouse fart loads?

Boolit Master

223 mouse fart loads?

Well I did it, finally got a Mossberg mvp in 556/223 for my boys. I'm rather excited to get some mouse fart loads going for them.

I have a Lee 55-rf mold and titegroup, unique, hp38 and 2400...I'd like to use titegroup or unique.

I'll cast em soft but want to make sure I'm not under loading but for my boys....it doesn't need to make power factor. If I can keep it at or under 1000 fps that would be great.

Anyone tried it before and what were your results? I'm thinking a start of 3 ish grains of titegroup or unique and see where it goes from there?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I run 7-9 grains of Red dot for 55 grain plinking loads.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    I run 7-9 grains of Red dot for 55 grain plinking loads.
    Wow that's quite a bit more than I expected...what velocity are you getting?

Boolit Grand Master

I use a GC'd 225415 (55 gr) over 4 gr Bullseye for 1550 fps out of my 22" M70 XTR 223 for a vermin load. For a cat's sneeze load (I'm last century with some of my terminology) I use the same bullet over 2.2 gr Bullseye for right at 1000 fps.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

I never chronoed them. I shoot em out of an Savage axis. Im sure they are flying at 22 wmr velocities though.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

I like the Noe 60gr RN with any where between 3 and 7gr. TiteGroup. Gp

Boolit Master
    http://marvinstuart.com/firearm/Manu...-%20Reduce.pdf

Scroll to page 128 for Red Dot loads, very soft shooting at the low end.

Maybe a Henry 001 with .22 LR is better?
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master
    Larry's Bullseye loads shot very well in my T/C carbine 223. You just have to be really careful with such tiny loads.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    Larry's Bullseye loads shot very well in my T/C carbine 223. You just have to be really careful with such tiny loads.
    That's what I was thinking....I know I can out enough in to make it go fast....but how little can I out in and still make it go but slow instead.

6 on way half dozen another, these are trainer rounds for boys that still need alot of refinement so as they get some trigger time I'll adjust the load accordingly

Boolit Grand Master

For a cat's sneeze load (I'm last century with some of my terminology) I use the same bullet over 2.2 gr Bullseye for right at 1000 fps.

Should mention that is also a great small game/vermin load in my Savage M24 [20 ga/223] and in my 21" TC Contender 223 barrel.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I have two loads with Win 231. NOE 55 grain that looks like the 225-75 FN A3. My mould has both plain base and gas check cavities. Loads of 3.3 grains and 4.5 grains. The 4.5 grain is 1375 FPS
    The gas check bullet without the gas check shoots better that the plain base at least out to 50 yards with both loads. Both shoot 10 shots under an inch at 50 yards. Lubed with LLA.
    I also dip stick (small dowel) all loads to make sure no double charges.
    Last edited by fa38; 07-10-2020 at 12:58 PM.
    M. Stenback

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    Maybe a Henry 001 with .22 LR is better?
    I think the same way. Why cast, sort (and you will be sorting if you cast like me LOL), lube, and reload when you are not saving money or increasing performance? I suppose if someone cannot get .22's it is "necessary", or back when .22's were $10/box. Plus everyone needs a few .22 rifles in their stash. I still have the .22 repeater my dad gave me over 55 years ago.

One last thought. Getting accuracy out of .223's with cast is not a cake walk. An accurate rifle/round is important in training new shooters. If they shoot a 2" group at 50 yards (off a rest) they are doing something wrong. If the load/gun is only capable of 2" at 50 yards poor performance becomes acceptable.

My youngest son is mentally challenged. I will always remember the first 10 shot 3/4 inch group he fired at 30 yards. Certainly nothing most folks would be excited about but it meant a lot to us.

You will make great memories with your boys!!!
    Don Verna

Banned
    I use Trail Boss powder for reduced loads in pistol and rifle. There's no way you can double charge a load.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I think the same way. Why cast, sort (and you will be sorting if you cast like me LOL), lube, and reload when you are not saving money or increasing performance? I suppose if someone cannot get .22's it is "necessary", or back when .22's were $10/box. Plus everyone needs a few .22 rifles in their stash. I still have the .22 repeater my dad gave me over 55 years ago.

One last thought. Getting accuracy out of .223's with cast is not a cake walk. An accurate rifle/round is important in training new shooters. If they shoot a 2" group at 50 yards (off a rest) they are doing something wrong. If the load/gun is only capable of 2" at 50 yards poor performance becomes acceptable.

My youngest son is mentally challenged. I will always remember the first 10 shot 3/4 inch group he fired at 30 yards. Certainly nothing most folks would be excited about but it meant a lot to us.

You will make great memories with your boys!!!
    I get the point and we have (or have access to) 22 or rifles. For one I want the boys developing manipulation with a center fire bolt gun they can grow into deer hunting with only ammo change (hunt piney woods of north Louisiana at close ranges) we can go from plinkers to 69-75 grain solid copper expanding with a mag change and knowledge of where the poi shift is

Secondly I really like casting sorting coating and reloading. In some ways shooting gives me an excuse to do that...so it's less about money or performance as I also get to include the boys in learning how to make ammo from nuts to bolts. I say I like it, what I mean is I really really like it alot. This is one of the most satisfying hobbies I've done. I make thousands of 9mm cast reloads on my rcbs rockchucker not because I can't get a progressive, but because I like reloading and single stage reloading is alot of fun for me.

I'm excited to get the time with the boys....they are just slightly too young now ,(ages 5, 3 and 2...just had our first daughter 2 mo ago)...but to see their faces light up and accomplishment of practice will be amazing

Boolit Master

I used to train my troops with a m-16 in our hallway at the unit, couple of sand bags and my Ultralight loads,and we had a instant Range. Col. Nonte ideal. I used 22caliber pellets and a magnum primer. I did drill out the flash hole a little and marked the cases with a red marker so I wouldn't get them mixed in with my full load case's. Take a fired case and reprime it then load the pellet skirt side down with your thumb No powder needed these would work the action of the m-16. You might want to find a copy of George C Nontes,Jr. Book Basic handloading,he covers ultralight loads nicely. The old Outdoor life book series is one of the best on this subject.good luck and keep them kids shooting a skill every person should have
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    Speer used to have reduced loads in their manuals 55 gr bullets at 22 mag velocity. Wonder if Trail Boss do the job might not work the action though.

Say no more...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	223-mousfart.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	264655

Tested this load personally in CZ527. Single digit shot to shot velocity variations. Turns 223 into 22 LR with basically that is super quiet and re-loadable.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by curioushooter View Post
    Say no more...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	223-mousfart.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	264655

Tested this load personally in CZ527. Single digit shot to shot velocity variations. Turns 223 into 22 LR with basically that is super quiet and re-loadable.
    Perfect thanks this is the input I was hoping for...I'll start with what what my powder throw is set to right now for 9mm...3.2 of titegroup and Chrono to see what they work out to be. May try and work down carefully

Boolit Master
    I use 3.5 grains of HP-38 under a 56 grain bullet, plain base, tumble lube only, and get velocities very much like 22LR (1200-1300). Nice and accurate to 100 yards.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast