Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Disassembling Marlin Bolt

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Disassembling Marlin Bolt

Can someone tell me where I can find information on disassembling the bolt from a 1980’s .45/70 Marlin. Some info on how to start and in what order to proceed. Maybe with an exploded diagram. I
    A Good video on the subject would be great.
    Thanks

I have pics from Marlinowners site, no vid. 2 pins to punch on 2 piece FP. Older models have a one piece FP. Question is why?
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    One vise, two pieces of cut 2"x4", sharp flat blade screwdriver, roll pin punch and hammer. DO NOT PRY OFF EXTRACTOR USING FORWARD ARM!!!!. Prying out with arm raises area in arm to band juncture area and can distort to point of binding in receiver bore post assembly. Vise up hard in wood with extractor collar out in the open, tap on one inside band open end to start rolling off bolt. Sometimes almost there one side then reverse to other. The roll pins out bottom and back in from bottom, sometimes they slide right out, sometimes I have wondered if vise is going to hang in there. 2 pins (sometimes short one front), 2 firing pins, one spring. With extractor off good time to clean up hook, radius and polish bottom inboard hook and break all edges front.

Boolit Grand Master

As to why I want to disassemble the bolt, I’ve shooting BP and some found it’s way into the bolt. The firing pin doesn’t move freely and I get a lot of misfires.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    As to why I want to disassemble the bolt, I’ve shooting BP and some found it’s way into the bolt. The firing pin doesn’t move freely and I get a lot of misfires.
    Tried an ultrasonic cleaner?

Yea, I'd try several types of cleaners first or US. Surprised BP can leave much residue in the bolt! But basically, for 2 piece pin, drive out the back one. then remove extractor and drive out second. Use a good roll pin punch. There is a flat spring on the back of the main pin that could be a pain to reinstall.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    You might just try soaking the bolt in Windex with vinegar (NOT ammonia), and then blowing it out. Try it dry first, and if it works, spray it with Balistol and let it rest on paper towels to absorb the excess. GF

Boolit Grand Master

I’ve gotten the parts moving freely with Ballistol and thought disassembly would be the best way to do a good job. Now it seems like it’s pretty completed. Maybe I’m best off trying solvents and not getting into a complete tear down.

I wish I had an ultrasound. That might be the way to go.

Greg,
    go to you-tube , type in, "marlin 1895 bolt disassembly". They're about a 1/2 doz. videos. You should be good to go. It's not hard.
    Isom