RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Marlin 1894CS .357 and Lyman 358430 195 gr.

Marlin 1894CS .357 and Lyman 358430 195 gr.

Looking for what others may have had good results with. I have had great results with 9.4 grains 2400 in a 38 special case. This is a load from Lyman’s 45th for38 special. And it’s wonderfully accurate out of my rifle with micro groove rifling. So I am looking to use a .357 case but then to also use unique. The only data I could find was out of the small 1973 cast bullet Lyman handbook that lists 6.5 grains as max.. And that data was from a 8 3/8” handgun. I will use 6 grains and see how it works. Again, this bullet clangs steel targets all day long at 100 yards. It never looses its accuracy. I see I will have to crimp over the last driving band but hoping that much bullet in the case won’t allow it to push in deeper.

Again, looking for what others have done with this bullet and rifle combination. Thanks
    Last edited by smkummer; 07-22-2020 at 08:36 AM.

Boolit Master

Now you are talking! I have shot the Lyman 358627 in mine, but the bullets were given to me many years ago and the mould I have now is cut differently around the crimp grooves and is to long for the lifter.

Anyone load this cartridge bullet combo?

Boolit Master
    11.5 gn of 2400 works for me

Boolit Buddy
    Not much help reference the entirety of your question but I shoot it in a couple of Marlin 1894’s.

I use a 38 special case in my handloads as I was having to seat the bullet way above the crimp groove to get it to cycle in my 357 magnum rifles and fit the cylinder of my 357 magnum revolvers.

My load consists of a charge of HP 38 that handily pushes pressures into “plus P” territory, I get right at 1000fps out of my rifles, and 875 fps out of a 6” 357 magnum

It’s very accurate and hard hitting and with a the suppressor on my rifle it is whisper quiet:

5 shots at 75 yards

What’s strange is this load shoots right to the sights with my 2” S&W model 10 at 10 yards.

ATCDoktor, this is what I was looking for. I am going to try 357 cases and seating deep with unique. I want flat enough shooting that little adjustment is needed out to 100 yards. So I am wanting about 1200 FPS.

Boolit Master

I've got that bullet in the HP version.

Herco 7.5 1383 8.2 3585 FSP 1.590 OAL

The above combo in .357 cases gave me 2" groups at 100 yards out of a scoped Marlin M1894.
    I tinkered with various loads in the Marlin with both the solid and HP versions of this bullet as well as a 35875 with PB gas checks. This was the most workable combo I came up with.
    Loading in .38 cases was kind of disappointing. I was able to produce accurate plinking loads at set ranges but the trajectory of +/- 200 grain loads at 100 yards is like unto a mortar round and I gave it up for a more useable load with a lighter bullet.
    Early efforts in the 60s with a Model 10 S & W .38 Special with fixed sights was equally disappointing with huge shifts in elevation between 25 and 50 yards making it almost un-useable for a field load.
    But, for a carry load or home defense it works quite well when distance is not a factor and it really makes a whap when it hits.
    My experiences with the heavies./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Ok, back from the range. Excellent results for my needs. Data from the 1973 Lyman cast bullet handbook with 6.5 grains unique showed 1185 FPS out of a 8 3/8” test barrel. Again, this bullet is slightly crimped over the driving band in a .357 case. Again the bullet is the 195 grain 358430. I am guessing out of my 1894C marlin with a 18 1/2” barrel maybe 1350 FPS? None the less, at 100 yards, I was consistently hitting a steel plate that the bead front sight about completely covers. It’s painted black and maybe I can get my friend to paint it orange. Very satisfying “clang!” with the heavy 195 gr. bullet over a “ting” from the 158 grain bullets. A double bonus was when I ran out my small 42 count test samples, I loaded some plus P 38 ammo ( 7.1 wc540 and 158 Lee 159 SWC- 900 FPS out of a 4” handgun) they shot to the same point of aim and maybe close to being as accurate. It’s well overdue to put these on paper too see. So so satisfying to here the “clang” and “ting” from these rounds.
    Last edited by smkummer; 07-22-2020 at 08:39 AM.

Banned

Marlin 1894CS .357 and Lyman 358430 195 gr.

Neat results!
    Quick question: is the 1973 formulation for Unique the same as the 2020 formulation?
    —Griff

Quote Originally Posted by dangitgriff View Post
    Neat results!
    Quick question: is the 1973 formulation for Unique the same as the 2020 formulation?
    —Griff
    Probably not but it’s pressure listed was about 2000 cup under the max of other formulas. Starting load was 5.5 grains.