Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingPBcastco
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .510 wildcat, big boolits real quietly.

Boolit Mold

.510 wildcat, big boolits real quietly.

This is the project that brought me to this website, mainly because I expect to be shooting a good deal of cast in this gun, even though I will shoot some other stuff in it as well.

The idea is a straight walled .510 cartridge that headspaces off the case mouth. I will load mostly 50 bmg projectiles in it and from what I've seen there are quite a few molds ranging from heavy to insanely heavy that will be interesting in this thing.

The parent case is a 7mm blaser magnum, I know this is a strange choice but I have found cheap norma brass and I figure if I make a few hundred cases I will never shoot them all out.

The suppressor for this gun will be a bowers vers 50, which is currently just waiting for the alphabet boys to finish processing. The action is a savage110 and I got an oryx stock bc it is the cheapest chassis style I could find and I'd like something I can just drop the action in and be done with.

Right now I am in the process of making my dummy rounds up so I can get all the specs for the reamer and get it ordered. Then it will be the search for a suitable barrel blank as far as twist rate is concerned.

I'm thinking I will come up with a "light" cast bullet for it, just not sure what molds exactly. I feel like even subsonic the heavy stuff will wear on you after a few rounds.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Why is it you are wanting to head space off the case mouth?

Boolit Master

Because it will be a straight wall case with no shoulder and no rim.

Boolit Master

When you are ready to try some boolits, give me a holler. I have the 475 GC MP mold and 525 PB MP molds, the 513-580 Spitzer Noe PB/GC mold and the 513-588 Noe plain base mold. So.....what's your pleasure? I can send you some samples of whatever you'd like to try.

Brad

Boolit Master

I have a 50 razorback with a 26" barrel 0.950 at the muzzle. Even the 475 GC at 2050 fps is a hard push. The 525 at slower subsonic velocities is a very gentle push. I haven't weighed the rifle, probably in the 12 lb range. Recoil isn't bad at all.

API will run about 1800fps and flash on hard targets too. I just havent played much yet. Still dragging my feet on a form 1 suppressor.

I have several 50-70 single shots and really like the cartridge. A couple of years ago a friend gave me a bag of Win. 270 WSM brass and I noticed I could cut them down and make a rimless 50-70 with them. I never did anything with them but it does look like a good match.
    I don’t know what 7mm Blaser magnum looks like but it’s probably similar.

Jedman

Boolit Master
    Trajectory must be awful with those.

I have a 500 Whisper and a 50 Alaskin , Both with 13 inch barrels.... The projectiles are 900 grain cast.... They are like 12 gauge , So i wouldnt worry about recoil... But hella fun to shoot...... I use a CBE mold... Barrel twist is 1-9 . And has the ballistic coefficient of a brick...

Here's my version. .510 WSM. It's similar to the .50 Razorback, just shorter cases (1.700").

I had Accurate Mold cut me a 700gr tumble lube for "plinkers" which work well from a magazine. I have to single-feed BMG M8 APIs given their length and my use of a short action.

As mentioned above, even subsonic, they have a good amount of recoil in a light rifle.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    One of our best decisions was build a 50 Alaskan. From round ball up to a 525 FN we have the best of fun wanging steel and watching other shooters marvel at what a 500 grainer chugging along at 1700 fps will do to 50# steel plate. Then we let a 525 go at 1850 !!
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks so much for the replies, looks like I am going to have a bunch of knowledge to draw from! And the offer of some test boolits is pretty dang nice too! I guess the internet was wrong about you lead melters!

What brand and twist rate barrels is everyone using?

Vendor Sponsor

Sheesh! A .510 caliber shoulder cannon! I guess the deer are wearing armor plate these days, being you can't kill one with less than a 400gr super magnum round moving at mach II (according to the internet) so something had to be done right?
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by TOWS220 View Post
    What brand and twist rate barrels is everyone using?
    I used a .510" groove, 15 twist Lilja. No complaints. I don't think I'll wear it out.

Boolit Master

Mine is built on a pacnor 1-14 twist.

Boolit Bub
    I've been shooting a 510 whisper for years and have run it both sub and supersonic. It does not headspace off the mouth but off a tiny shoulder made by neck turning the 338 lapua mag cases after shortening and trimming. It works very well. You might consider turning a shoulder on your wildcat. You don't want your neck thickness to be too much and by thinning it to what most cartridges use you get a shoulder to headspace on and your case mouth becomes less critical. Most cases have a neck that is .010-.015" thick.

In the whisper running 300gr Barnes soft flat points you can get up to about 2300 fps and running the 800gr Lehigh brass expanding solids 1050fps is pretty accurate. I ran quite a few 500gr cast gas checked bullets a friend made up for me and they worked well too. In addition you've got the whole range of military BMG bullets so tracers, which will indeed light with only 28grs of AA1680, API which will flash if you hit a hard target like rock or steel, APIT and so on.

Set up your case length to make the capacity such that your case fill is high with your intended bullet. Your accuracy will be better. In cases where your fill ratio is under 60-80% your powder can move around enough that you will never get consistent burns and your accuracy will suffer. Some guys want to have it all and make the case so long that its not much good for the subsonics.

You need to make sure your twist rate is set up for the slowest and longest bullet you intend to use. Stabilizing a long spitzer boat tail will be difficult using a twist rate that works for a round nose or a flat nose wadcutter of the same weight. Since we're not shooting artillery shells and worrying about the fuzes hitting square a twist rate that is too fast is much better than one that is too slow. I make a lot of suppressors and do repairs on them and the most common problem I've seen is bullet strikes from guys trying to run subsonics in their big rifle cartridges. Wobbly and tumbling bullets can do some damage to a suppressor. This is usually due to them running a bullet that is too long for the twist rate they have. A 308 with 1-10 twist won't stabilize 220gr pointed bullets at subsonic speed. The rpm of the bullet is based on velocity and rate of twist. In the whisper all the barrels I've built have used a 1-9 twist or faster. You'll want something similar if you're running pointed bullets of 600+ grains in weight. Unfortunately Pac Nor burned down a year or so ago and they were the source for button rifled 510 barrels with that rate. The cut rifling guys like Bartlein or K&P might have something but wait times seem longer for them. Most of the others who make 510 bores don't do the twist rates needed for subsonics....

Hope something helps, keep us posted. on progress.

Frank

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Sheesh! A .510 caliber shoulder cannon! I guess the deer are wearing armor plate these days, being you can't kill one with less than a 400gr super magnum round moving at mach II (according to the internet) so something had to be done right?
    Man, them evil white tails need 1200grain boolits moving at mach 3! That way you don't have to clean them. They just disintegrate!

I probably should not have looked at this thread. I am not one of the little fast bullet guys. Not really a big slow bullet guy. I want big FAST bullets. But I think big fast boolits would work, too. Just want something cheaper than .50BMG.

Boolit Mold
    Current work updates, getting my cases initially cut and then I plan on cleaning them up with a case trimmer.

I just got my 3d printer back operational and so I made up a little sled to hold my cases for the mini chop saw.

Once I get these trimmed and an expander and a seater die sorted out I will be getting my reamer made.

Pretty excited, as soon as the reamer is in it will be just waiting for pacnor to get back to business. Last time I spoke with them they said this summer, but I haven't checked with them recently.

Trying to figure out how to get my IMG to display in the correct orientation...
    Last edited by TOWS220; 07-13-2020 at 05:23 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice!

Boolit Master
    I cast a 650 gr. flat tip for my 50-140-3.25 SS rolling block. Let me know if yu would like to try some.
    swamp

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM0667[1].jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	264787
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

This sounds like a project I was going to do, a wildcat called a .510 Reedwhacker.
    Parent case .300 WSM.
    I didn't come up with it, a young guy by the name of Reed did.
    He used it in an AR platform.
    I actually have a set of dies custom made by Lee for it.
    I have a couple 24" barrel blanks I bought from Mark Serbu but never did pursue the project any further.
    This was several years ago.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast