Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: 9mm 165 grain

9mm 165 grain

This is not a cast bullet question, but I know y'all work with heavier-than-normal bullets on a regular basis.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	133284.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	264591

One of the ladies at work just dropped off 500 9mm bullets. She and her buddies bought a 9mm pistol and could not find any ammo for it, so they went online to buy bullets. They found 500 for $60. The problem was they got bullets, not ammo. Ooops.

She was going to give them to me for free, but I gave her $20.

So now, what does one do with 500 165 grain plated roundnose 9mm bullets?

Right now, I've got plenty of Universal Clays, and Titegroup. The one article that seemed to make sense suggested a 2.7-2.8 grain load of Titegroup.

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor...mm-luger/99514

I figure y'all are knowlegeable about shooting ridiculously heavy bullets.

Boolit Master
    Alliant shows 1 load for that bullet in the reloader's guide with sport pistol.

My dad did cast 168 With blue dot i run 158 with around 5.0gr My experience with heavy for caliber 9mm is slower powders tend to be the ticket

Boolit Master
    watch out for case bulging since you seat them deeper into the case. I have noticed some brass is thicker and cases bulged with 147 FMJ's. That is why I stick with 135 or smaller on the FMJ's. Plated 147's did not give me that problem since I think the case was sizing them down a bit.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...3&bulletid=423

What would y'all think of trying to shoot them in a 357 Mag? .356 vs .358? If they fit, they'd be awesome in my Marlin 1894

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by shaman View Post
    What would y'all think of trying to shoot them in a 357 Mag? .356 vs .358? If they fit, they'd be awesome in my Marlin 1894
    For FMJs thats really .355 vs .357 but either way its .002 difference. I'm curious if that would work. I think you will probably need to load those pretty hot to make sure you get proper obtrusion on its way out. I dont think that would work with 38S loads but it might with 357Mag.

I wouldn't use them in your Marlin. They are undersize and the plated round nose might set off a primer in the mag tube.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

They are pretty popular with the gun gamers. I gave the 165gr a try in several 9mm, they are super soft shooting at minimum PF, but the slide speed is best reserved for slide with cuts to lighten them. If you use starting 147gr data you will be close to the top end for a 165gr. Load to the longest OAL that fits your gun. No they do not have to be loaded hot, the are very soft lead & thin copper plating. You could try them in a 38 but your bore dia will tell you if they will shoot. Run them in the 9mm, you will be fine at about 800fps or so.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    I would be worried about neck tension using them in a .357 lever gun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mto7464 View Post
    I would be worried about neck tension using them in a .357 lever gun.
    Good point , under size and no crimp groove is a poor mix in a tube magazine.

Boolit Grand Master

You’d have to bump them up to use them in a 357. W/ large throats and bores in 9mm I’d be tempted to bump them up for a few of my pistols.

Boolit Grand Master

Since they are plated you might have better luck loading them in 38/357 revolver cases .
    Just use dies from 9mm Luger set
    1.) to do neck expansion with.
    2.) use taper crimp die to crimp bullets .
    A standard mid range load will bump up the bullet , plated usually having a soft core will bump up and the plating should help with leading .

I would load them in 38 special or 357 magnum loads before trying the super heavy 9mm Luger loads . 158 gr was the heaviest 9mm I could get to work in 9mm Luger pistols and I didn't care for it ...my favorite is a 120 or 124 grain TC . Anything heavier needs to be in a revolver .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    anybody ever powdercoat a plated bullet? might be a way to get them a little fatter
    Loren

Boolit Master
    I would figure out a safe load for 9 mm that would work in my gun and shootum .

Boolit Master
    I normally wouldn’t bother working up a load for just 500 pistol bullets, but these might be fun in a suppressed ar-9. If you’d rather trade for 124gr 9mm plated bullets from extreme (might be FP, might be RN, I just don’t recall) on a pound for pound basis just shoot me a pm.

Thanks all. Those are good points about using them in the lever.

Oh well. I think I'll try a .27 grain Titegroup load in 9mm and 357 Mag/ Universal Clays load in the Ruger Blackhawk and see which works best

Many thanks y'all.

Quick question: If I run them through a Lee .358 sizer, they'll come out .358, right?

Boolit Master
    WRONG ! They are already smaller than that. You might be able to "bump" them but not size them. There is a difference, and use caution so you do not break linkage or cause undue wear and strain on the equipment. Keep a micrometer handy to be sure you get enough but use only as much force as necessary. If these are really soft core and plated bullets it might work well. You do not want to apply too much pressure and have the plated material shear off in the lube holes as you eject the bullet.

Boolit Master
    I’d test them in a revolver and see how that goes before doing anything else. Loading that big of a bullet in 9mm is going to cause a whole host of problems anyways. Seat a bullet that big into a 9mm case and I bet the base is sized down more than .002.

Boolit Master

I used to load of HS-6 [I do not give out powder amounts, sorry] with a 38 super bullet of 151 grains for a hard hitting load in my Mac 10-9. With the CAC9 can on it was Hollywood quite!!!!

I could see that bullet w0rking if it would feed.