Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: CVA scout 2 44 mag

CVA scout 2 44 mag

I have a chance to buy one of these rifles. Using the search function on here has turned up some older reviews with some good points and some bad points for the rifle.
    For anyone who owns one of these, what are you sizing to?
    Do these rifles generally have long throats?
    Are these rifles generally well made?
    I have read on here about accuracy issues, did these issues get sorted out with the newer production rifles?
    Just generally looking for some info to help me with my purchase. These arnt very cheap up here in canada but it is pretty much the only available single shot in this caliber. I have searched high and low and no other options are coming up in the used market.
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    I have a lot of friends, who have bought them in several different calibers, for their wives and kids to deer hunt with. All of them shoot/function correctly. I have zeroed several of them, and all were good shooters, 1-1 1/2" groups at 100dys with factory ammo. I have one bud who has killed 6 deer with a .44 mag in one, and swears by it. I think it is a crap shoot on getting a good one, cosmetically, I would look at one in person before buying it, if that is an option for you. Hope this helps.

I bought a 44 Mag Hunter from Buds a couple weeks ago. I don't know if its the V2 though. My first trip to the range was with five new loads, and it looks promising. I sized to .430.

The finish was like a 'weatherguard' type of finish. I think it looks pretty good.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Do you plan on slugging your bore?
    Seems on the threads I have read about this rifle no one has bothered to slug their bore.
    I have read these rifles have really nice triggers and I would like to add a single shot to my stable.
    On a separate note I was also offered a single shot reamed to 357 maximum
    This caliber intrigues me, but I would think with such a long jump to the rifling shooting regular 357 mag would lead to poor accuracy and/or severe leading

I have not slugged the bore on my 44. My calipers broke.

I would jump on the 357 max if you like the rifle. I say that cause I have a lot of 35 caliber molds. I also have a 357 mag handi. I shoot 38 special loads with great effect. The throat is so long I can drop 360 DW cases right in. It is has been a easy rifle to work up loads in.

If CVA made a Hunter in 357, I'd get one today. The trigger on my Hunter is awesome!

By the way, the barrel on mine had a mirror finish like I'd never seen. When I ran a stick across the throat to the rifling transition it was SMOOTH! I felt no transition at all.
    Last edited by Four-Sixty; 07-10-2020 at 03:24 PM.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Well I ordered the scout v2
    My idea was for heavy cast subsonic loads I think with the 1:20 twist it should work well. Hopefully it has a bit larger bore as all my molds cast .433 or bigger and my sizing die is .433 as well. I guess I'll slug the bore and hope for the best. I'll report back

I figured I would update
    The scout v2 seems to be very well built, has quite a heavy barrel as well. Locks up tight and feels solid. It has a very nice feeling trigger, light and crisp.
    I slugged the bore. No tight spots that I can tell
    Slugged out to .4295"
    I guess I'm gonna have to scare up a .431" sizer or get a lee .430 and open it up a bit.

Do you fellas think a .433" bullet is a bit big for that bore diameter?
    All my molds drop .433 or larger and would like to simplify things and just use .433 if I can get away with it.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the cva 44 mag. In the hunter mod. This is the cheaper mod. in blued.guess they are not making this mod. anymore. Mine is a good shooter, killed a nice 8 pt. with it last fall. My mold is the lee 240 rn. It is .429 I then powder coat & you can just feel a little restriction with .431 die. Have you seen lee now has a sizing insert system? I have it with several inserts on order but haven’t got my hands on one yet.

Boolit Buddy
    Just a side note to post above, I have a scout V2 in 45/70, it is a great rifle also. I have 3 CVA ,s like them all.

I did get the Arsenal 434-310 RF mold for use with mine. I used a .431 sizer and the boolits are a nice slip fit in a fired case. I can't crimp them in my regular Lee crimp die though as the fat boolits get stuck in the die. I'll buy one of those newer Lee FCD dies to try soon. I hope to shoot some without a crimp this week.
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

My CVA Hunter in 45-70 had a problem with the action sometimes opening upon recoil, and usually having accuracy issues stemming from the action's oddity. I polished the lugs and it has been shooting fine.
    This issue doesn't come up a lot, but I thought I'd mention it.

Win94ae, you had some YouTube videos about your CVA right?
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'