MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Newbie checking the math - Lee 7/8oz slug

Boolit Buddy

Newbie checking the math - Lee 7/8oz slug

So after a long stint of reloading and casting for metallic cartridge, I decided to dip my toe into shotgun waters. Since I'm limited to just using slugs at my range and have a 870 and 590 with no chokes I went looking for loads. After watching a ton of Youtube videos I settled on the LEE 7/8oz slug as it was reportedly a bit more accurate. I then found this load on the Ballistic Products website:

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/load14_04_25.htm

LOAD# 140217-5487
    HULL: RIO 12ga. 2.75”
    PRIMER: RIO209
    PROPELLANT: ALLIANT RED DOT 24.1 Grains
    WAD: PT1205
    SHOT: 7/8 oz. LEE key Slug
    FOLD CRIMP: 6-point
    Result: PSI 10300 FPS 1480

While waiting for the rest of the components for this load to arrive I stumbled across a few articles here that stressed the importance of slug/wad fit to bore. Having the slugs and the PT1205 wads on hand I tried this. Nope, no way does that slide into the barrel with only ten pounds of force. So out come the measuring tools. On average the slugs are measuring .6853" and the wad petals measure at .025" thick with an odd .029" here or there so .7353" total at best. After a lot of double checking the barrel of the 590 is measuring at .7324". So this puts me at .0029" over bore. I guess my question is how concerned should I be with this constriction? The slugs were cast with a quarter of the pot containing a 50/50 mixture and the remaining 3/4 quarters was pure lead so I'm not that concerned with hardness. I also found this from the the NRA pages:

https://www.nrafamily.org/articles/2...gs-accurately/

"Trulock believes Foster and Brenneke designs are suitable for use with open constriction choke tubes such as cylinder, skeet or improved cylinder and will typically shoot 3-inch groups at 50 yards. He agrees some slug loads will give better accuracy than others in your specific shotgun, meaning that you'll need to do some experimenting. When shooting slugs, he prefers skeet chokes with 0.005 constriction. Concerning sabot slugs, he feels a fully rifled barrel is needed in order to stabilize the bullet--therefore, sabots are not suitable for use with choke tubes, smooth or rifled."

Since these are for shorter ranges I'm really just looking for something simple starting out. I'm also a bit concerned as I've only seen this specific load mentioned once in the searches and was wondering if anyone had tried since?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...o-primed-hulls

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
    No law ever stopped a criminal. If you disagree then you need to look up the word "criminal".

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Now how do you lose your rights? Do you see where I'm coming from . . .

Boolit Master

to get your feet wet without a lot of complications search for Y-mans thread on replacing bird shot with a slug, you can get the hang of slugs and then start to make your own from scratch.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

You'll probably find that it take 15 to 25 pounds of pressure to get the wad/slug started
    Once it is past the initial restriction, I bet you'll find it's 10 pound or less to keep the combination moving. You are trying this in a smooth bore correct? Without thinking it tried this on rifled barrel, needless to say it didn't work.

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Buddy
    Yup, smooth bore
    No law ever stopped a criminal. If you disagree then you need to look up the word "criminal".

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Now how do you lose your rights? Do you see where I'm coming from . . .

Boolit Grand Master

You should not be concerned at all. Your measurements look exactly as expected. Mossberg bore's seem to run .732" to .734", so you are normal. Your slug diameter is pretty close to what mine are.

I know the "10 pound rule" is thrown around a lot, but I'll just come out and say it. I think it is false. I have NEVER got even half decent accuracy with such a loose fit. A very crude way of saying it, is to get the best accuracy, you want the tightest fit possible that doesn't shear off the wad petals. I found a decent load in 20 gauge that with the Lee Minnie in a wad measures about .625". That load shoots pretty good in a rifled barrel with a groove diameter of about .617". The wad looks quite thin after firing, but the petals hold up. I tried with a thinner wad, and all accuracy is gone.

I always recommend the same thing, so I probably sound like a broken record. If you want a no fuss, nearly guaranteed path to decent accuracy in a cylinder bore 12 gauge, go with a .735" round ball. You can get the mold from JT ball molds (order a .738", as that is the cavity, and the ball drops about .003" small) for about $45 shipped. You can use any 1 3/8 oz data, and they shoot 4" at 50 yards consistently. They are a lot easier to cast than the Lee slugs, and it is far easier to find a load that works well. You can load them down for very light recoil.

Speaking of which, I'm sure that BPI data for that slug is safe, but definitely start lower. There is no need to knock your teeth out right from the start. You can use any 7/8 oz lead shot data, and even 1 ounce data should work fine. I would start at around 17.5 grains of Red dot. You will also want to use a 20 or 18 gauge nitro card under the slug inside the wad cup. This keeps the plastic from going into the hollow base. You will often still find the card pushes into the base, and this depends on the load. You can also fill the hollow base with something like hot glue. Try without filling the base first, but for sure use the nitro card.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 07-07-2020 at 08:34 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    FortuneCookie45lc youtube video:

So many wads so little time.

Great visual for what wads will work with which slugs.

I use the lee 1oz mold with decent results. Havent tried the 7/8oz. If ya wanna swap 50 to try em out. Im game.

Boolit Master

I use same load but WST instead of Red Dot. They work great out to 25 yards. Easy to reload. I'm like you over 162,000 metallic and 6500 shotgun. Started shotgun last November shooting clays for fun. Started slugs last month. Have both 1oz and 7/8 oz mold but have not tried the 1oz yet. You may want to get a 3/4 inch punch and make over shot cards helps with 6 point crimp. I just use old cardboard boxes for the cards.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I don't like deviating too much when treading new waters and the internet only gets you so far. This site has helped me multiple times from wasting time and money thanks to you all.

Boolit Master
    ive found it best to use pure lead for slugs and buckshot there is no need for harder alloy here and mould fill out has never been a problem. save your tin and hardening alloys for boolits that need it. the forcing cone in throat of barrel will guide the slug/wad through the barrel

Boolit Grand Master

Pure lead is ok for slugs, but do not waste your time with pure lead for buckshot. Hardness is far more important for buckshot than it is for bullets. The harder the buckshot, the better it will hold its shape, and the better it will pattern. You can take that to the bank.

All of my buckshot is water quenched, very hard, and out performs anything you can buy.

I see no problem with your load in an open choke. My full bore powder coated slugs measure .732 and have been shot through a .725 restriction without incident. Gp