MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Walmart convection oven to buy?

Boolit Master

Mine is an Oster found used for $20. Additional used sources include estate sales, Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    I skimp every place I can so I can have a rifle or pistol I like. My $10 Good Will stove may bring $5 in a yard sale just like your $50 stove. So what if my $12 high temp thermo does double duty calibrating the dial. I am happy and have saved $40 for another 1000 primers.
    Yeah if you could find primers to buy.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    I my hot plate with a 1$ ceramic tile on top to spread heat, steel scrap plate with parchment paper (tile isn't flat and I pick up the plate with pliers to WD). No spill, base down. Turn on for 1/2 hr or 1 hr if W.D., done. No domino effect. 1 kw unit won't go over 425F. Mostly do 30 cal rifle stuff but 9 & 40 work fine too. about 100 a cycle. I cut the bottom off a 45cal plastic ammo holder and just drop the rifle rnds in base first, remove to the next 50. Cheap plates are from China, so far so good. Cusinart had a little more expensive one that is really good. My modded PID controlled convecton oven sits unused on the shelf. In colder weather I have a plastic cooking dish I use as a cover - cook in the unheated garage. I push 308W pretty hard PCd so the plate works good and I use it for mould heating as well.
    Are you saying, you're basically cooking them on a frying pan, uncovered mostly?

Don't forget Craig's list as a resource! Maybe not as inexpensive as yard sales and thrift shops, but it's likely there will be better selection on CL.

Having just started PC'ing, I have found the little single 9" tray oven I am using a limiting factor. I have a LOT of already cast bullets in .45 and 9mm that I just could not use because I moved over to Tanfoglio pistols for competition and lead / lubricated bullets are contradicted in polygonal barrels.

The oven at Wal Mart shown above is no longer in stock in south Florida, Grrr... So, I kept my eyes on Craig's list and found a nearly new decked out Hamilton beach convection oven with three levels for $40. Now instead of waiting for the oven to finish the session with 100 bullets in it, the oven will be waiting for me Hey, I may even use it AND the old 1 level one and really get production going. My son may be able to help too!

I'm picking it up tomorrow.
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Master
    A fellow member loaned me his oven, then he gave me his Mother’s oven before it was thrown in the trash upon her passing.

It works just fine and it was free! I feed it powder from member Smoke and I get good results!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by seowitz View Post
    Are you saying, you're basically cooking them on a frying pan, uncovered mostly?
    Do you have a picture of your set up?

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    ... get a good thermometer to go with it since most of them are way off.
    Also, try to find one that says it'll do 450 degrees. Then your chances are better that it'll actually get to 400.

Boolit Buddy
    My new purchased oven was the first one I actually bought. I had been using a free to me oven an thought I was getting good results. This oven would over heat after 3 bakes, with a single tray!
    My new oven works 100%, bakes two trays, an is spot on in temperature by a second oven thermometer. Smokes PC comes out great!

Boolit Master
    I recommend the Hamilton Beach Countertop Convection Oven. I have two one since 2012 and a second one I found new at a thrift store for $20 so I had to take it home. The HB's easily reach 400+ degrees. Just because an oven dial say 400+ doesn't mean the oven will reach that temp and it needs to; there are name brand ovens that will not reach 400. Also the HB will maintain 400 degrees without wild variations, which is also necessary. Some ovens temp will swing as much as 50 degrees. The very first thing to do with a new oven it test it using a Taylor Oven guide thermometer. If it will not pass these two tests then it is not adequate for PC.

Boolit Buddy
    Just scored this bad boy from salvation army for 18 bucks. Never been used....retails for 279

https://imgur.com/a/VVZwHu9.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-09-08 21.06.56.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	296.6 KB 
ID:	267457

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12