WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Need data Alcan 8

Boolit Master

Need data Alcan 8

I have a full can of Alcan 8 powder that's good.
    I don't want to dump it, only want to load it in pistols.

Can anyone give me some loading data on this for: 45 ACP, or Colts?

any other pistol loads would be good too.

I do NOT load for shotguns at all. This is the only info I wish.

Thank you very much. You can e'mail it to me if you prefer
    georgeld@hotmail.com

George
    George so I can:

Gun Control is NOT About Guns!
    It's about CONTROL!
    Join the NRA Today

Lm: NRA, NAHC, NAFC, N***/WS

Boolit Master
    I use blue dot starting loads. It will be a bit on the slow side for 45 acp unless maybe with heavy boolits.
    BIC/BS

In Remembrance

I have used it loading 255 gr. boolits for 45 ACP. I don't recall the load, but will check to see if I can find it. Would probably be good for heavy 357 mag. boolits. It is about same burn rate as 571 and Norma R-123.

Boolit Master

Here is some data that I have tried. There were O.K. in my particular handguns. I think I started using Blue Dot data also. But I think it is near HS-7 or 571 also. My particular lot number is 72198.

38 SPECIAL…358429…CCI-500…6.0 AL-8…MODEL 10…624 FPS

357 MAGNUM…358429…CCI-550…12.0 AL-8…SECURITY-SIX…1154 FPS

44 MAGNUM…44-250-K…CCI-350…15.0 AL-8…SUPER REDHAWK…1183 FPS

45 LONG COLT…45-270-SAA…CCI-300…9.0 AL-8…BLACKHAWK…816 FPS

Be careful as this is not tested data by a powder/bullet company. Good-luck…BCB

Boolit Buddy
    I still have some, but it doesn't meter well. Very irritating! AL-7, OTOH, is a great hot .38 or .357 powder. My choice for a heavy bullet .45 is 800-X.

But wait! You wanted data, not arguments. Well, I don't have any. The closest I can come is AL-7 data from a 1978 edition of the Lyman Pistol and Revolver Handbook. With the 225 Speer and the 230 Rem FMJ, they listed a max of 9.8 and 9.0, respectively, for the AL-7, at around 17000 cup. I would surmise that this load of AL-8 would give reduced pressures, and performance. There was nothing even close for boolits. They did run some hot loads of Blue Dot behind cast, so I'd maybe start at 8.0 gr. and work up. Bob K
    Last edited by bobk; 11-30-2008 at 09:46 PM. Reason: more data

Boolit Master

I used some in my .357 many years ago. Worked quite well, but produced prodigous flash! Even out the cylinder gap! Shooting the BH in near-dusk conditions was enlightening, in more ways than one!
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    Knew all I had to do was post a request.
    Many thanks to all of you.
    "Chuck" sent an e'm quoting some loads he found in Lyman Cast boolit handbook which I happen to have a near new copy. Never gave a thought to look in there.
    Didn't even think of it, or would have had the info.

There's loads with AL8 for both ACP, rimmed and .44mags for .250's. That's close enough for a new BHawk and 230's.

Yesterday I sent Midway an order for a .452" sizer die set and Lee 6 hole TL230 RN mold w/handles. That should be just about right for my needs. So I got started sizing cases. Gonna take a few more nights to finish, then bell a thousand or two. Maybe by the time the mold gets here and it warms up enough to cast 'em I'll be ready to load too. Only have a 5 gal bucket level full of acp cases. That should keep me busy over the winter and ammo to burn at leisure for several yrs. I have a problem with empty brass laying around.

Ed: You ever shoot game at dark with a big bore? About the same thing ain't it? Blinding flash sometimes ruins your night vision for awhile.

Many thanks gentlemen, do appreciate it.
    George so I can:

Gun Control is NOT About Guns!
    It's about CONTROL!
    Join the NRA Today

Lm: NRA, NAHC, NAFC, N***/WS

Boolit Master
    Halloween is a few days away, so I am going to zombie-fy this thread. Mwuh-ha-ha!
    6.5 AL-8 behind #358430 (200 grain) in .38 Special. Haven't chrono'd it, but it shoots fine in my 2" Taurus M85. Does more than scratch paint, too: it penetrated the tread of a 33" truck mud tire.