Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Load Data

Thread: 6.5 Dutch primer replacement questions-Have you done it?

6.5 Dutch primer replacement questions-Have you done it?

As you may know the original 6.5 Dutch brass is very well made and was reloaded by the dutch several times as per the case head markings.
    Unfortunately the dutch use an odd-ball size Berdan size primer which is not available to we reloaders.
    The head is quite thick and I was wondering if an end mill could open up the primer pocket to take a normal Large rifle primer using a lathe and the brass case centered and chucked in line with the mill.
    The original cases have one centered flash hole that could be used again with the LR primer.
    According to data on line the LR primer requires a hole .2105-.2130 in diameter in order to be used.
    I have a large quantity of fired brass and hate to see it go to waste gathering dust.
    Yes, I make brass out of .303 Britt/.30-40 Krag cases. Please stay on this topic of Original Dutch brass.
    I'd like to read your ideas on what you have done that worked out well.

Boolit Buddy
    I have done it. I have a 9" South Bend lathe. I was surprised to see the dutch primer was smaller in dia. than the standard boxer .210", so it was a natural change over. I have also done it to 6.5 Japanese. They were duds and I did the machine work with out unloading them. The Japanese powder seemed as good as the day it was made. Bud

What size end mill did you use that worked the best?

Boolit Buddy
    I would use a small boring bar to open the primer pocket. You might be able to use a flat bottom drill to drill out the pocket.

Edit: a tool like this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	si-mwln-r_edge.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	264567
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Boolit Buddy
    I use a 3/16 end mill clamped in a boring bar. Be sure the cutting edge is horizontal and that you already have the flash hole drilled. You control the pocket diameter using the lathe cross feed. Works like a champ!
    Bud

I'll give that a try.

A lathe & modified #4 chucking reamer (.209", sans the corner chamfers) is the easiest way to fly.
    Drill the flash holes to #50 (.070" dia).
    Below is an exercise in frustration:

Quote Originally Posted by kenton View Post
    I would use a small boring bar to open the primer pocket. You might be able to use a flat bottom drill to drill out the pocket.
    Edit: a tool like this

Name:	si-mwln-r_edge.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	264567
    Last edited by Sanchez; 07-22-2020 at 10:53 PM.

I had to change my technique as the shape of the Dutch anvil is unique unto itself. The anvil looks like a small clam-shell, there is a flash hole drilled into the center of the anvil tapered from front to back as viewed from the inside of the case.
    These cases were designed to be reloaded several times in their lives.
    I just used a 13/16" end mill and set it up for dead center on the lathe and using a dial indicator, a new primer pocket is milled out.
    Once the anvil is removed and the primer pocket is enlarged, the flash hole is exposed and has to be chased .001 as it will grab the decapping pin of the sizing die.
    I then use the Dillion Primer Pocket Swage and the pocket edge is rounded out guiding the primer into the pocket.
    A load of 55,000 PSI showed no signs of pocket leaks or primer back-out. So,I'm good to go.
    Thank you for the ideas.

Boolit Master
    Here's a blurb on converting berdan cases to boxer. It'll probably have some useful ideas for you. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...to-boxer/page2, post 25.

Name:	Dutch brass.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	266131
    Here is before and after