MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Value of never used Ballista-Cast ? H&G 503 copy 4 cavity with handles ?

Value of never used Ballista-Cast ? H&G 503 copy 4 cavity with handles ?

Fellow casters: Several years ago H&G closed their doors. A company that I cannot recall (Ballisi-Cast?)obtained the rights to make and sell H&G style molds. I ordered one, but never used it. What would be the market value of this mold?

Banned

Could you post some pictures?

Some pics:

Banned
    This thread is NOT an offer to sell. Please, no attempts to buy.

Boolit Master

Dang, that is a pretty mould. I could not imagine the block and handles going below $125 and that might be low.

Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    This thread is NOT an offer to sell. Please, no attempts to buy.
    That is correct. If it has enough value, I will post it in the classified. I paid Balisticast $250.00 for it several years ago. If it does not have at least that much value, I can trade it to a friend.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't want to rain on your parade, but you can buy that exact same mold from Arsenal for $78 plus shipping. Handles are $15-$20 if you didn't already have them. You could even go all out with Accurate molds with the connected trough for about $125. I think you can reasonably ask $100 to $150, but nobody is going to give you the $250 you paid for it. The 503 is one of, if not the single best 44 caliber design ever created. You may just want to keep it.

I feel a monsoon rain coming down. I am bummed, but thanks for the reply.

Further thought: Yes, $250 does sound high for a mold, but recently I ordered a 4 cavity Saeco from Midway.
    Their price is listed as $193.99, and they show list as $271.90! and this is without handles. So maybe that $250.00 did seem plausible for a mold with handles the quality of Hensley and Gibbs.

Boolit Master
    When H&G closed their doors, Ballisticast was the only game in town. I got a 668 mold from them and it's great. I eventually got a Murphy and then a San Diego 68. The 668 casts just as good as the 68's only difference is the size. The San Diego fits my 1911 more better. The only problem with the Ballisticast is it isn't an H&G so it's not as collectible. Now if somebody wants a H&G but can't pony up the coin then the Ballisticast is a less expensive alternative, but your stuck with it's as cast diameter and most of today's custom mold makers give you options. Accurate will make you an iron mold to your specs for close to that $250 price tag. I'd ask $150. If it doesn't sell, I'd do some casting with it to break it in and get the exact size it casts and post the specs so somebody can make a decision if it will fit their needs or not. It's plus then is not having to wait on the custom mold makers time lag to get what they want.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I don't want to rain on your parade, but you can buy that exact same mold from Arsenal for $78 plus shipping. Handles are $15-$20 if you didn't already have them. You could even go all out with Accurate molds with the connected trough for about $125. I think you can reasonably ask $100 to $150, but nobody is going to give you the $250 you paid for it. The 503 is one of, if not the single best 44 caliber design ever created. You may just want to keep it.
    You won't get an iron mold for $78. I paid $250 for mine and consider it a good purchase. Put it up for $250, someone will buy it. They won't be making more.

Mine was one of the last ones out the door before they closed. I think it was a point of pride as it is a very nicely finished mold. Bullets drop from this mold easier than any other Keith I own. The design and finish is well above Lyman's capability. It's a $250 mold!
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 07-08-2020 at 10:03 AM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Thanks much for the additional input. As always, opinions vary.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    You won't get an iron mold for $78. I paid $250 for mine and consider it a good purchase. Put it up for $250, someone will buy it. They won't be making more.

Mine was one of the last ones out the door before they closed. I think it was a point of pride as it is a very nicely finished mold. Bullets drop from this mold easier than any other Keith I own. The design and finish is well above Lyman's capability. It's a $250 mold!
    Correct.

Price a four cavity iron mold from Accurate.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    Correct.

Price a four cavity iron mold from Accurate.
    $211 for an Accurate 4C Iron, no handles or shipping.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

If I wanted $250.00 for it I would post it in the classifieds for that amount. If someone wants it they can speak for it. If it doesn't sell you can always do something else with it. I have a 4 cavity #51 I bought on a group buy here. It is a nice mold and as close as you can get to a H&G.....
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Grand Master

Wow, I had no idea people paid that much for an iron mold. I only buy aluminum myself, given the choice. You may as well ask $250 for it then, worst case you have to lower the price later.

The mold is posted in the classified. Thanks everyone for your thoughts.