RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 1911 is settling in.

Boolit Master

New 1911 is settling in.

Went to the family cabin the last couple of days and brought my new Remington R1 Limited in .40 S&W along to put more rounds through it.

Shot it and my P365 at the reactive target a few times, then tried some slow fire 5-shot groups at ten yards.

1911 got a 3/4" group the second try and the P365 did 1". This is using cheap Federal Brass ammo, so not bad at all.

Attachment 264539
    Last edited by Idaho45guy; 07-08-2020 at 03:35 AM.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

I figured you'd like it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

oh...come on...you know you'd rather have a Glock! I'll trade you straight across, you're choice .40 S&W, .45 GAP, .45 Auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    oh...come on...you know you'd rather have a Glock! I'll trade you straight across, you're choice .40 S&W, .45 GAP, .45 Auto.

Shame, shame, shame,,, 10,000 comedians out of work- and you're trying to be funny.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Awesome glad you like it.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Does it hurt to try? I know how badly he wants 5th generation Glocks!

It’s defective, the bore is .05 too small. Id carry it back.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    If you have a Gen 4 G23 in Battlefield Green, I'll trade. The 1911 is a range toy. A Glock is a serious fighting weapon and superior in every way that counts when your life is on the line.

Nostalgia is fine, until it gets you killed.

That would make an excellent signature line, actually. But I'm afraid it might cause a few pulmonary episodes around here, lol.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I figured you'd like it.
    Oh, I do! It is fun to put holes where you want them.

Shooting the reactive target with the P365 and the 1911 was revealing. The 1911 is a tad faster. Pretty sure it is due to the size of the weapon. The P365 is an engineering marvel in firearm technology. 12 rounds of 9mm in such a small package is amazing. But physics is physics, and a bigger gun is simply more controllable. Made me reconsider my approach to carry and think about giving up some comfort and concealability to gain a little more effective shootability.

I don't know. I'd have to set up some multiple targets and put several magazines worth of ammo through the P365, my G19, and my M&P40c to see which one was fastest, and if the difference was enough to switch.

Ammo and components being as scarce as the are now, I'm reluctant to waste precious ammo.

The 1911 is a range toy. [/QUOTE]
    I don’t know about that, the guys from WW1-WW2-Korea-Vietnam and the Special Forces units that carried it then and still carry them might beg to differ.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 07-09-2020 at 07:12 PM.

Banned

I thought it was against the law to own a 1911 in any other caliber than 45?

Brian Zins (12 time National Champion in Precision Pistol more commonly known as Bullseye and 1911 45 acp enthusiast) says that every time he shoots a Glock, he needs an antibiotic
    Phil

Give Idaho some time to come around-- he's young yet.*

*compared to some.

Boolit Master

If the 1911 is only a range toy why do our special ops teams still use them? I realize if you are of the younger thinking generation having more bullets in your pistol is mandatory, but those who depended on the 1911 to stay alive did just fine with 7-8 rounds. Begs the question has the ability to hit what you aim at changed over the decades or has the thinking of what it takes to win a gun fight changed? Most police now carry large capacity pistols and seem not to be able to hit the target even when they have 17 chances. I got to see a leo team shoot once and I was not impressed.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shdwlkr View Post
    If the 1911 is only a range toy why do our special ops teams still use them? I realize if you are of the younger thinking generation having more bullets in your pistol is mandatory, but those who depended on the 1911 to stay alive did just fine with 7-8 rounds. Begs the question has the ability to hit what you aim at changed over the decades or has the thinking of what it takes to win a gun fight changed? Most police now carry large capacity pistols and seem not to be able to hit the target even when they have 17 chances. I got to see a leo team shoot once and I was not impressed.
    SLOW DOWN
    Lots of statements there that are masquerading as facts:

If the 1911 is only a range toy why do our special ops teams still use them?

Because they choose to. You'll have to ask them why they made that choice but non-expanding FMJ bullets may play into that choice.

I realize if you are of the younger thinking generation having more bullets in your pistol is mandatory,

No., not really. I doubt you know the thought process of every single member of the "younger thinking generation". In fact, I would dare say the only thought process you can be entirely sure of is your own.

.....but those who depended on the 1911 to stay alive did just fine with 7-8 rounds.

Yes, they did just fine with 8 rounds but they didn't have much choice, now did they? I wonder if they had a choice of a pistol with greater capacity if they would have selected that? Do you think if they had a pistol that could have held 15 rounds they would only load 8 in the magazine and say to themselves, "that's all I will ever possibly need"?

Begs the question has the ability to hit what you aim at changed over the decades

No, it doesn't "beg the question" nor does it change anything.

....or has the thinking of what it takes to win a gun fight changed?

Nobody claimed it has changed. Just because a pistol has more capacity doesn't mean the "thinking of what it takes to win a gun fight has changed".

Most police now carry large capacity pistols and seem not to be able to hit the target even when they have 17 chances.

There are over 17,000 LE agencies in the U.S.A. with over 850,000 officers. How many have you personally watched shoot? So I doubt you can authoritatively state how poorly or how well; "they" can shoot.

I got to see a leo team shoot once and I was not impressed.

I've seen a lot of people, from a lot of different occupations, shoot. I've been impressed with some and not impressed with some.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 22cf45 View Post
    Brian Zins (12 time National Champion in Precision Pistol more commonly known as Bullseye and 1911 45 acp enthusiast) says that every time he shoots a Glock, he needs an antibiotic
    Phil
    That is funny

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    It’s defective, the bore is .05 too small. Id carry it back.
    Bore or is not the problem if it start with a 4 its good enough for me but you should have went with that extra 3mm longer brass for the extra punch as in 10mm. You could still shoot your 40 short and wimpy out of one provided you get one with full head support. I shot more 40S&W then actual 10mm in my RIA 1911 and no issues so far. With extended clip you can get 10 rounds in and having 1911 with 10 x 10mm is plenty of firepower for me.

Banned

Has anyone else noticed that Petrol & Powder has been banned? I don't see anything wrong with his last post.

Any post he got banned for would have been deleted as part of the process unless he got into a private message argument with a moderator.

Boolit Grand Master
    I got a chuckle over seeing someone expound on the superiority of Combat Tupperware over real guns. Lots of rounds would only be one consideration. Disposable plastic guns are a passing fad, steel goes on and on. need more rounds? Get an extended mag for your reload... 7 or 8 shots should be enough to “open the ball” or at least get you to cover. If you’re expecting an invading horde, don’t go there, but if you must, bring lots of friends, all of whom have guns and lots of ammo.

"It aint easy being green!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast