WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
Repackbox
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reloading die's Lee vs Redding

Boolit Master

The difference is mostly looks and money. If the money doesn't matter and the looks are important then Redding is the way to go. The Lee dies work very well and I have never been let down.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Nice thing about this country - for now - is that everyone gets to express their opinion even if others find fault with it. I happen to go to Dillon first and then Redding, RCBS, etc with Lee as my last recourse. That is my opinion of course.
    There's nothing wrong with your opinion, after all it is your opinion and that's all you honestly claim it to be. BUT, if we measure reloading tools, perhaps especially dies, by how they perform rather than by how pretty they are or how slick they feel, it's hard for anyone to honestly claim their favorites are any "better" than others. Fact is, dies make ammo on the inside and, inside, Lee's "cheep" dies work as well as any other brand ... and sometimes, better.

Dies have an established (SAMMI) manufacturing dimensional tolerance range (so do chambers). Anything that falls between the minimum and maximum is fully in tolerance and EVERY die maker meets that criteria but they can't possibly do any better. I mean, if it's in tolerance that's a good as we can ask!

It's true that serious BR rifle competitors don't use Lee dies at all. But then they don't use RCBS, Redding, Forster, Dillon, Hornady, Lyman, etc, either. In fact they don't use threaded dies at all, they use custom made hand dies and carefully load a few rounds at a time. And they load carefully selected and "cleaned up" cases too; they know that without precision cases using high precision dies won't matter. That's why these recurring "my die brand is better than yours" web arguments are laffable.

Bottom line for buying dies for ammo to be used in factory firearms is to pay as much as it takes to make you feel good and then happily load ammo on them, your groups sure won't know what dies were used. And, if your groups do show a difference, it will be because you got a lucky stack of tolerances, not because of a die brand. Common sense proof of that is if any die brand actually out performed the others they could - and would - use that data in their advertizing but NO ONE DOES THAT because it's not true!

I've been reloading a long time and have owned dies from about fifteen brands. Used correctly they all work fine but most are long gone and many - most? - of you have never even heard of some of them.

I rarely mention my favorite die brands because they're only my choice (for specific features) and no one knows that better than me. I do have a couple of favorites but it would be misleading if I made a recommendation based only on what I like and I just won't do that!

Boolit Buddy
    I have Wilson, Redding, Forster, Lyman, Pacific, Hornady, Herters, Lee and RCBS dies. I PREFER Wilson, Redding and Forster but being a pensioner may not buy any more of those. I have had at least satisfactory results from all those brands, in part because some of those brands are in little used calibers. Some were bought used and brand did not matter because the price was right. The RCBS dies I have were either bought in my early years or because the price was right. Unless RCBS die design has changed I will buy no more of them as I despise having to screw everything out the bottom of the die.

Boolit Master

Insult me if you will.
    My experience of Lee dies will not change.
    Lee is a INEXPENSIVE way to start. I've even bought a Lee die set in the past. A set for .32S&W, they were a mix of .32ACP & .32S&W Long. They were too long to crimp a bullet into the case.
    Called Lee C.S. ; they suggested I BUY a .32ACP Taper Crimp die. Wasted more money on that. It WAS TOO SHORT TO CRIMP also.
    I even tried their fcd. Too bad I bought a .44-40 and Lee put a .44Mag into the package. Lee C.S. didn't believe me and refused an exchange.
    Fortunetly GRAF & SONS took it back. But had no .44-40 fcd in a correctly marked package.

So maybe it is just me, but I have a reason.

And I do use Lee tools, the decapping rod & base in both large and small have given great service for more the 45yrs.
    The hand auto prime worked well, until they wore out. Two of them.
    The RCBS version has lasted 30+yrs.

Their warranty stinks too. Only two years and you better have saved the receipt.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    when i started handloading i didnt use lee i thought they were cheap therefore rubbish ,was i stupid ,only use lee dies now work well they are inexpensive not cheap.

Boolit Master
    That makes sense Walks ,that is more helpful than a blanket it's substandard response , I may not have had the same experience with Lee but I have with other companies and when it's bad enough I avoid that brand of products if I have a choice. I had that happen with a Glock 36 of all things,
    it would randomly jam it might go 150 rounds or it might go 5 after about 1500 rounds and two different Glock smiths look at it different mags recoil springs and other bits I don't even remember I could never get comfortable with it so went back to the store where I bought it with full disclosure of the problem and I took my thump and traded it back to them .But I know that Glock was an exception common sense tells me they are not all like that. But I don't have any Glocks now.

Boolit Buddy
    I've used RCBS dies since 1972 and never had a problem. They are in the middle of the road for cost. You can look on ebay for a used set of carbide at an even better cost. Make sure to inspect(enlarge) the picture and look at the condition. I shoot Hornady, "one shot" case lube on all my cases(carbide dies) even with straight wall cases. They feed smoothly and never get stuck. The only Lee products I use is their rifle case trimmer and cast bullet sizer that do not have lube holes. Good luck with you reloading and always ask questions as there is a lot of opinions and none are perfect.

Boolit Master
    I do not consider Lee stuff only for beginners or the ham fisted types. Just not true.

Interesting that Lee has provided replacement parts for anything I have worn out. The other side of that is I have yet to wear out any dies and have not had any bad ones. Only 20 or so sets of them so maybe I have just been lucky. FWIW, that friction decapping stem is nice to have. If something gets in a case and jams the pin the stem just slides up instead of bending or breaking like what happened to me with an RCBS die years ago. One of those 'features' Lee decided on that I like.

When I have had to replace parts on their presses they have been sent to me free of charge, even on a press that is almost 20yrs old now.

And I do know of a few people who use some Lee dies in precision shooting reloading. Lee will also do some custom work on their stuff. If you have any questions you can just contact them and see what they will do.

Boolit Grand Master
    For loading pistol with lubed bullets get Dillon dies. Nice to be able to clean the seating die without having to readjust it.

If there is a difference in accuracy between pistol die manufacturers, I doubt it is discernible. I only use Dillon pistol dies because of the lube issue.

On rifle dies, if shooting cast, I doubt it matters much either. We are not shooting bug holes.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

The only dies I would spend extra on outside of Lee would be a micrometer die and that only if I was shooting competition or 1,000yrd. Even then it would be the ease of use being able to dial in a particular setting for a bullet/powder combo for a rifle. Lee dies load just as good as anyones for less money, imho.

The only set of Redding dies I have is for my 416 Ruger and that's because Lee doesn't make them and the guy that sold me the rifle sent them along free of charge. They are great dies for sure but better than Lee? I won't say that
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    I suspect nobody here could look at a loaded round and tell what die brand was used to load it. They all work, celebrate the fortune of choices. For the last few firearms I've acquired I've bought LEE dies, inexpensive and they work and the local gun shop has them usually in stock when I walk in. I started with RCBS and still use those dies, I've never had to replace any brand of dies for not working or failure. Never. Why would I spend hundreds when $35 works?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tonto View Post
    I suspect nobody here could look at a loaded round and tell what die brand was used to load it. They all work, celebrate the fortune of choices. For the last few firearms I've acquired I've bought LEE dies, inexpensive and they work and the local gun shop has them usually in stock when I walk in. I started with RCBS and still use those dies, I've never had to replace any brand of dies for not working or failure. Never. Why would I spend hundreds when $35 works?
    I can tell if something is amiss with my RCBS runout gage, but the problem could be technique or components as much as dies.

I used to have a crooked Lee 222 sizing die that I indexed and used it to correct crooked brass. But I couldn't use it to load straight brass, so I had to buy more dies, and eventually got rid of the Lee set.

All my brands of dies will pull brass eccentric if I leave the stock expander ball in them. So I don't use stock expanders any more, unless case forming, or salvaging crushed brass. If I do I use an undersized ball, which usually does nothing but serves as a check for odd cases that will have too much neck tension.

Whenever someone brags about their dies, I ask what their average runout and cull rate is. The answer instantly separates the knowledgeable from the smoke blowers.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    Redding dies are finished better than Lee dies, inside and out. Both brands will generally load serviceable ammo. Lee products are made to a lower price point, and their fit and finish - and the materials that they are made from - reflect that.

I've probably made this statement before, but I will repeat it. Lee has some really good, innovative ideas. The transition from the drawing board to execution sometimes leaves much to be desired in the end product. And yes, I do own and use some Lee products. I generally do not recommend them to others. YMMV.
    Well said.
    I do not like the Lee powder through expander dies, everyone I have had sticks to much for my liking. On the plus side, it should vibrate any granules the want to bridge in the die free, but I don't run a measure on mine so it is kind of moot to me. I have never used one of Lee's FCD for pistols, normal roll or taper crimps work fine for me.

Never used any Redding handgun dies, but I would expect them to be nice.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post
    Whenever someone brags about their dies, I ask what their average runout and cull rate is. The answer instantly separates the knowledgeable from the smoke blowers.
    I'd rather ask them what size groups they are shooting.

Boolit Master
    The Rcbs and Redding Dies look real nice that I have. I must be a lousy shot because the lee dies I have may not look as nice but the ammo shoots just as good. I only have 4 or so Rcbs and one Redding die. I got them cheep or with a rifle I bought. I can’t afford any high price dies but if they did load any better I would save up for them. If you can afford the high end dies buy them. Most of my stuff is lee just because I can afford them. Snap on tools look real nice also but my chrastman tools gets the job done.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    not exactly what your asking but, if you can find Lyman deluxe carbide 4 die set in black box they are excellent and include "M" die. the difference in lee sizing die is center stem primer punch is held by friction rather than threaded.
    That is true but that sliding punch has kept me from damaging the pin numerous times , but they are more of a pain to adjust.

Boolit Master
    Been reloading since about 1968 for an 1917 Enfield in 30-06. Probably have about 45-50 die sets from just about everybody except Herters. Started out with a set of Eagle steel dies for the '06 and a aluminum texan C type press. At one time all my reloading stuff and I mean all could fit in a USN 20mm ammo can.
    I changed over to RCBS reloading equipment in the late '60's. Rockchucker press, dies, powder scale. Basically stayed that way for years. Then I had a short fling with high power shooting. Swung over to Forster with case trimmer, hand dies, a little hand press to use with the dies and a bunch of case holders for various calibers. Again stayed with that for some years. Handgun was out as I lived in NYC. When I mentioned 45-50 sets of dies I really don't have that many calibers to reload for as you would see me picking up soda cabs,bottles along the roadways. I buy dies that have done on sale,store closings or if I see a set here for sale I buy it. That saved my bacon on more than one occasion. I bought a Win Big Bore XTP in 375 win. Bought a set of Lee dies in that caliber. Lubed the cases and immediately started getting scratches the length of the case. Cleaned out the weep hole in the F/L die and proceeded to ruin more cases. Remembered I had bought a 3 die RCBS 375 win set from a member here. Cleaned them out and proceeded sizing like nothing was happening. Beautiful sized brass and no scratched. Those lee dies went where they won't be found for the next century. On the other hand all my trimming on cartridge lots of 50 cases or less are done using the lee cutter and lockstud. Dies are Redding. Anything over 50 rounds using the Wilson case trimmer attached to a small variable speed drill. Wilson makes case holders for both new and fired cases. So have a bunch of them. And when I started shooting pistol I went to Dillon. Only had one problem with a set of 44 magnum dies. Size the case and definitely came out out of round. Called them up explained the problem and within a week had a new set. Outside of getting a die stem bent from depriming some berdan primed cases which RCBS replaced. Most if not all my reloading equipment has given me good service over the years. Next set of dies is the famcy ones by redding with the micrometer seater as I want to start shooting cast bullets out of my Model 70 match rifle.
    I have a dew Lee bullet molds but have had success with them. The 6 cavity jobs from years back did ok but not as well as should be expected. Do own a Lee Classic steel press as I needed the room for loading the 500 grain bullets for my two 45/70's Ruger #1 and a Pedersoli 1874 infantry rifle. I only have one set of Hornady dies I have is a two die set for the 9.3x57. They should make a deluxe set with the addition of a neck die. And presses are RCBS Rockchucker,Dillon 550B,Lee Classic steel press, And an old CH C press. The texan was given to a friend who wanted to start reloading. Now if I really want to start a war I basically only use Sierra bullets, some Speer, some PPU, and some old military pull downs from old military cartridges. Frank

Banned
    As predicted, this thread produced a lot of opinions, some emotion and some useful information.

Lee products get bashed frequently and some of that bashing is deserved and some isn't.

Lee products are designed to hit a price point. Sometimes Lee products are good enough, sometimes they aren't.

Like many others here, I have an assortment of reloading equipment; including Lee, Redding and others. In terms of price, Lee and Redding probably represent the extremes of cost with one being on the low end and the other being on the high end.

Sometimes our loyalty to a brand is well placed and sometimes that brand loyalty gets the best of us.

I believe dies are simple tools but there are some important considerations. The materials used to make the die, the interior finish, the dimensions, is the bore centered are some of the considerations. Generally speaking, I think most manufacturers can do an adequate job of making a die. It isn't rocket science.
    However, I only want to buy that die one time. Experience has proven that a well cared for die will last a lifetime and then some. So I'll put more money up front in my quest to only buy it once.

Am I wasting money? Could I buy a Lee die and get one that that is made correctly that will turn out good cartridges? - Maybe.
    But I'm willing to spend a little more and buy a Redding or RCBS and be very confident that I will have a good die that will last a lifetime.

Boolit Master
    My only Redding dies are bushing dies for a 6mm Remington. They do excellent work. I own quite a few Lee dies and some LYman. I have both Lyman and Lee dies in .308 Winchester and much prefer the Lee's. Much easier to use and adjust....and the ammo is every bit as good.
    I have Lyman 38/357 dies as well as Lee's and prefer the Lee's for the same reason.

I would have a very hard time justifying spending 3 times as much money for Redding dies for 9mm. Perhaps for a precision rifle, but not for a typical 9mm handgun.

Moderator Emeritus

The dies are for 9mm. If it were for a bench rest gun, sniper use or targets for money that is one thing. The cost of dies should not exceed the cost of the high point. It is very similar to putting a $1200 scope on a $350 bolt gun. Buy the best you can afford and consider it's use.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast