Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Reloading die's Lee vs Redding

I hesitate to opine: I don't like controversy, but here goes.

I only have 1 Lee die set :.270 collet die & it works well.

Every rifle die set otherwise (different brands) has a Redding neck die. In the past I've owned Redding bushing type dies & have used Redding bushings in Wilson hand dies with complete satisfaction.

However: for handgun loading I'd never, ever recommend Redding dies if you plan to use cast boolits. Redding makes great stuff, but they have a fantastic misunderstanding of handgun loading with cast boolits. Their stuff is so good that they can't believe there is a problem. It's like dealing with someone that speaks another language. The problem is the person with the problem......surely it can't be the Redding product.

I load cast boolits exclusively for handguns & use Dillon dies (except for that 1 Redding set (now altered). The Dillon feature of different seating shapes & ease of cleaning is hard to beat + you could buy 2 Dillon sets for the price of the Redding (also no hassle if you have a problem).

I didn't intend to step on any toes.

Henry

Boolit Master
    Good post oldhenry you told what you like and why and what you don't and why I find that very helpful.

Boolit Master
    Henry, I don't think you've stepped on anyone. But I've read your post four times and still haven't a clue what you think Redding's handgun dies don't do and what it is that Redding's Customer service can't understand about cast bullets. ???

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    Henry, I don't think you've stepped on anyone. But I've read your post four times and still haven't a clue what you think Redding's handgun dies don't do and what it is that Redding's Customer service can't understand about cast bullets. ???
    In '95 I bought my 1st. Dillon 550 & got a Redding "Pro Series" die set (designed for use in a progressive press) in .38 spec/,357 mag. The sizing/de-prime die works OK. The flaring is handled by the Dillon. The seating die is the problem as it promptly removes the flare as the boolit enters the seating die. As a result I was getting shaved lead (big time) to such an extent that the accumulated lead became dents if progressed on to the crimp die. No amount of adjusting of the die body would prevent this from happening. Removal of the Redding seat die & replacing with a '60s era Lyman seating die solved the problem.

Phone call to Redding & sent die back to Redding, Redding returns die: the die still does the same thing. Phone call to Redding 2nd. time & they tell me that the die is within specs. Return die 2nd. time: die arrives back to me with a notation "altered to customers request". It now works OK: however I replaced the crimp die with a '60 era Lyman crimp die (much better).

Another member recently posted the exact same problem with a Redding .38 spec/.357 Mag. die set except Redding refused to alter his seating die as it was "within specs." ( see Chuck Perry's 06/06/20 post "Redding micrometer pistol seater shaving lead" under Reloading Equipment.)

While we're on the subject I'll share another experience with Redding CS: this involves a 7X57 die set. I bought 200 new commercial empties & upon the 1st. bullet seating the bullet fell down into the powder (by gravity). I called Redding & they tell me that most people load the 7X57 with military brass which is thicker (they didn't list 2 types of 7X57 dies). I returned the die set to Redding (my cost) & when it was returned the exact same thing happened when I tried to seat the bullet.

In my heart of hearts I'm convince that they returned the same die to me (I wish I had marked it before returning). Die returned to Redding again (my cost) & when it was returned the 2nd. time it works properly. No apology from Redding. No offer to reimburse my costs involved.

As I stated in my original post: they make good stuff. In fact their products are so well made that I question if they have a CS person at all.

These two instances are the total of my contact with Redding & the total of die problems that I've ever had with all die brands.
    Last edited by oldhenry; 07-16-2020 at 03:56 PM.

Boolit Master

I bought Lee dies when I first started out. I learned from Dad on a Pacific press with RCBS dies. Casting is another subject but most of my molds are Lee. I also have SAECO, Lyman, and an RCBS. Back to reloading, mostly dies.

I have never had to return a set of dies, polish machine marks from dies, and other than stupid mistakes on my part, never had dies fail. De-capping pins break sometimes, especially when you don't ensure they are not Berdan cases or range gunk stuck inside. I use a Lee universal de-capping die on a dedicated press so don't gunk up my turret press.

I have loaded so many rounds on a Lee turret press that I rebuilt my first one before they ran out of replacement parts. Right before they discontinued the previous turret press, I bought a second one (two houses, reload both places) at a discount. It was supposedly a 'second' but I couldn't find the defect.

I like the turret press as I can set the dies and only have to do a quick re-check before loading a different caliber. When I started powder coating I bought a bunch of push through dies. Very convenient to have several push through dies on one turret. I make my own gas checks and those dies are on a different turret.

My brother is totally RCBS. He had a girlfriend in college who bought him a starter setup and his is loyal. The only RCBS dies I have were given to me, 257 Roberts. These dies are in a paper box, wrapped in the wax like paper they came in when new. Thing is, I already have Lee 257 Roberts dies, I bought them to reload 257 for the buddy who later gave me the RCBS dies.

My buddy asked if I could reload to the factory loads his rifle devoured. He had 200 cases as He'd saved every piece of brass he'd fired. Well, the loads, with Lee dies, printed as good as the factory loads he preferred. It cost me a bit for the powder, primers, and Sierra bullets but He has given me 4 times that amount in range pick up brass. It seems his Dad goes to a shooting place and picks up everything several times a week. 3 or 4 times a year, my buddy calls me to get the brass. I usually ask him how much .380 ACP he needs, yes, loaded with cast boolits from a Lee mold, from a Lee pot, and loaded on a Lee press with Lee dies. I like Lee as they are affordable and have served me well.

I mostly load for pistol, but in the last 10 years I started loading cast for rifle. The only bullets I loaded were for .223, before I started shooting cast, 257 Roberts for a buddy, and lathe turned HPBT for .308 after California became lead free freaks statewide. Cast boolits in .308 shoot so darned well. If I were to get into 'extreme' precision I would have custom dies to match the chamber on a custom rifle, but that really isn't my thing. However, 'minute of soda can' off-hand at 100 yards, is my thing. Cast boolits loaded with the dies/equipment I own, is my thing.

I am however thinking of collecting antique reloading equipment just because it looks cool, why the heck not. I've seen some pre 1900 equipment here and there at auctions and estate sales, and I guarantee that none of it is Lee.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234