Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2WidenersPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Varget availably and price check please

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Varget availably and price check please

I have had the hardest time trying to find a Varget powder the last week or two. No one had any in my area. I was driving from WI to IA headed to the quad cities area a few days ago. I tried all the listings I could find on google with zero luck. I even stopped by Cabela’s and was told they haven’t seen Varget on their shelves for long time. On the way back home I stopped to gas up in Dubuque Iowa and figured I would do a quick Google search on my phone for reloading supplies. I found a place called Tri State outdoors. They had a dozen one pound bottles of Varget in stock! I stopped by and bought a pound. It was $37.99 plus Uncle Sam so it was $40 and change with tax. I know I got gouged but was still tickled to find Varget. The only other place that shows it in stock Is Scheels for $29.99 but for a 2 hour drive back and for it was definitely cheaper to buy it in IA. Is Varget still impossible to get I take? When I did a Varget search on the internet all I could find was a lot of different forums with tons of posts saying it was all gone off everyone’s shelf since last year. If so I’m guessing Tri state just knew what they had and bumped up the price.

Boolit Master
    it’s been hard to find online or locally in NC.

Boolit Master
    It’s probably the only powder that’s nearly as versatile as Unique.
    One local store had it recently (Charleston WV) for $35 / lb, a less local pawn shop had it for $40.
    But actually it looks like the days of buying any powder for $20/lb are long gone.

Boolit Grand Master
    Look at Shooters World Precision powder

Boolit Master
    I just got 8 1pound bottles for 27.99 at midsouth shooter supply

It's one of the few powders our Walmart seems to have in stock lately usually in the 28-30 buck range . You ever try Reloader 15 ? Usually gives me similar accuracy inthe same applications as varget
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

I saw a few pounds a couple weeks ago in local lgs. He is big into reloading supplies. Said it was first he had had in 18 months. It didn't last long. He says all powders and jword bullets have gone up. Most 6.5, 7mm and .308 Sierra bullets are $42.00-$48.00 per hundred.
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I don't know about current powder availability, but if you can find it, consider H4895 as a substitute for Varget. I use both but have found H4895 far more versatile, especially for cast bullet use.

H4895 shot 3/4” group at 100 yards with my cast vs varget all on the same hole so it’s a good second choice. Tri State told me they got lucky when I asked about the powder so i would assume they must have just got it in. I’m guess they get it a dozen to case? As they had about 12 in stock and only to or three of everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by lotech View Post
    I don't know about current powder availability, but if you can find it, consider H4895 as a substitute for Varget. I use both but have found H4895 far more versatile, especially for cast bullet use.
    Same here for H4895, started with 4895, tried Varget, went back to 4895. Varget didn't do anything that I couldn't do with 4895.:last 8 pounder I bought was about 18 months ago, cost $160 out the door.

Should have bought a couple at that price.

I’m stuck with varget in my 336. My 100 yard test target with cast. I repeated the same tight group the other day again zeroing it in.... And believe it or not the three shot group when sighting it in was tighter than the group below...

H4895...

I like H4895 for a lot of applications but when I get a groups like I’m getting with Varget I’ll just have to bite the boolit in prices for it.

I can always just use h4895 for plinking in this rifle and varget for hunting.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-07-2020 at 09:35 AM.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Is Varget still impossible to get I take?
    Daily Gun Deal: Hodgdon Powder 8lbs Varget Smokeless Gun Powder $191.00 FREE S&H Code
    https://www.ammoland.com/2019/05/hod...ss-gun-powder/
    Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I’m stuck with varget in my 336. My 100 yard test target with cast. I repeated the same tight group the other day again zeroing it in.... And believe it or not the three shot group when sighting it in was tighter than the group below...

H4895...

I like H4895 for a lot of applications but when I get a groups like I’m getting with Varget I’ll just have to bite the boolit in prices for it.

I can always just use h4895 for plinking in this rifle and varget for hunting.
    If I had groups like that I'd stick with Varget too. Kind of like me and the 204 with Accurate 2520. I've got other powders, never have gotten them to shoot as good as the 2520. Last was in the $37.00 range plus the governor's cut.

The only place in town that sells powder is open two days a week. I called today and they had one pound of varget left for $34.99. I had them put it away and picked it up a few hours later. They put it behind the checkout saving it for me. Since it was in clear sight there were four different people begging to buy it before I got there. I’m sure needed it more than me...NOT!...lol. Good thing I have done a lot of business back and forth With the owners since the early 70’s or I’m sure it would have been gone. Two pounds should last me a while. Normally I only buy a can at a time and replace it when out but after reading how there has been a Varget shortage for a year and a half I figured I better pick up an extra. Varget shoots good in my 243 AR10 (.4”) but is Close to about even with H4895(.3”). The h4895 is load is about a 100 FPS faster...4100 FPS with a 55 grain Nosler ballistic tip. So I’ll keep my varget for the 336.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-14-2020 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Daily Gun Deal: Hodgdon Powder 8lbs Varget Smokeless Gun Powder $191.00 FREE S&H Code
    https://www.ammoland.com/2019/05/hod...ss-gun-powder/
    They are out and so is mid south shooters supply. I don’t have enough rifles that prefer it over other powders to buy in bulk. Now benchmark is a different story. I normally just like to have a pound of everything on hand for load testing. The problem is the gander mountain In my town went out a few years back and was basically the big local powder supplier bedsides a small locally owned gun shop. The LGS is now only opened two days a week and has a lot smaller selection. So it’s either drive two hours back and forth to cabelas or Scheels. Cabelas is way, way down on powder and primers as well. I’ve been trying to get a 1000 Remington 7 1/2 bench rest primers from them for two seasons. No one carries Remington primers anymore! Two pounds should keep me going till it’s available again and the price gouging slows down. Scheels keeps advertising all their powders at normal every day prices for $28/$29 so I’ll have to stock up next time through.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-14-2020 at 06:34 PM.