Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: 300 BO plain base?

Boolit Buddy

300 BO plain base?

Looking at Accurate Molds BO mold and it is a plain base, no gas check.

Will soley be used subsonic, any reason to be concerned about lack of a gas check?

Nope. Gp

At those speeds, the only concern is proper hardness to obdurate. I use a Lee mold subsonic, no gas check. Never had any leading (PC'd).
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

Agree nothing to worry about. Keep speeds below 1300 fps and get by without checks just fine.

Boolit Master

I have yet to get any plain based bullet to work in my 300 BO pistol.

If you're using a bolt gun you might have better luck.
    NRA Benefactor.

Banned
    got an NOE 247 GC mold that shoots great without the GC

Boolit Master

Wellllllllll, if you end up getting a suppressor you will want a gas check to prevent filling the suppressor with lead. I’m not sure if powder coating will prevent lead in the baffles but I know from personal experience it will start building up lead with a quickness. I tried my NOE 311299 With an without gas checks and I didn’t notice any accuracy loss....just lead build up lol. If you don’t plan on using a suppressor then I would vote agains using subs in general, less fpe and less accurate in my own experience.
    90% professional 10% mature

I have three 300 Blackout rifles. An AR side charger, a Ruger bolt and a Handi single shot. None of these are suppressed. I see no need for subsonic rounds in any of these nor do I see the need for a gas check up to about 1500 fps. Gp

Quote Originally Posted by sutherpride59 View Post
    Wellllllllll, if you end up getting a suppressor you will want a gas check to prevent filling the suppressor with lead. I’m not sure if powder coating will prevent lead in the baffles but I know from personal experience it will start building up lead with a quickness. I tried my NOE 311299 With an without gas checks and I didn’t notice any accuracy loss....just lead build up lol. If you don’t plan on using a suppressor then I would vote agains using subs in general, less fpe and less accurate in my own experience.
    I think you may have a process issue if you are leading with PC'd boolits. If you are just lubing, yes, gas cutting will be an issue.

Mattri, Just PC and make sue if you stand them up to cook that you dont reduce the PC thickness in doing so.

Boolit Master
    I shoot the NOE 247 Plain Base in a suppressed bolt gun. No problems with leading, I didn't want to chance a gas check coming off in the can. I can almost guarantee any gas check designed bullet shot without the gas check will cause leading.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replies.

Should have mentioned it will be in a bolt gun.

Maybe this will be a good way to give powder coating a shot.

Boolit Master

I use plain base in my AR at around 1200 to 1250 and have no problems. They are powder coated though and that may make a difference. Still working up an accuracy load but 1 1/2 inch at 50 yards is serviceable for me.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dapaki View Post
    I think you may have a process issue if you are leading with PC'd boolits. If you are just lubing, yes, gas cutting will be an issue.

Mattri, Just PC and make sue if you stand them up to cook that you dont reduce the PC thickness in doing so.
    I should have made that more clear I get leading in my suppressor with plain base because I don’t PC. Again PC will probably work I just don’t have experience with it yet.
    90% professional 10% mature

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sutherpride59 View Post
    I should have made that more clear I get leading in my suppressor with plain base because I don’t PC. Again PC will probably work I just don’t have experience with it yet.
    I got leading with PC in my can. None in the bore. I would be concerned shooting GC'ed boolits with a can. I found a check years ago in front of my shooting bench so they can come off.

Boolit Buddy
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=31-220T-D.png

This is the mold I'm looking at, thoughts?

Boolit Master

I run a Lee mold without GC, suppressed and non suppressed. No issues to speak of. As to lead in suppressors, if the powder coat prevents leading in the barrel, and prevents leading in the gas system, why would it not prevent it in a can? I guess we will find out, as I've been running a crap ton of PC pills through my sealed can.

Banned

nope and no worry about abdurating either. If the bullet is sized to your bore which means anything over .308 there is absolutely no need for it to bump up to fit anything. If that wasn't true you sure wouldn't get accuracy out of jacketed 308 bullets in a 30 cal ar. My guess is if anything like with about ANY gun that isn't a piece of crap harder will shoot better. Its why we are always chasing jacketed accuracy. Now if you don't want to use your good alloy or don't want to buy lino ect or just happen to have a bunch of soft lead its worth a try for bullets shot at that low pressure range. PC will at least allow you to do it without leading.

Boolit Master

I have no issues with a plain base POWDER COATED BULLET PAST 2000 fps. This is from Various calibers and barrels. Just Keep pressures down!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    Well subs should be good then