Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Traded for another .45/70 Trapdoor today, carbine.

Boolit Master

Traded for another .45/70 Trapdoor today, carbine.

I traded for a 1884 Trapdoor today, pretty good blue, case is thin on the outside of the action, but when you open the trap, the case is mostly there, and on the tang. Blue is pretty good, fading to plum in some areas. Action and lock are both crisp, trigger pull is about #3.5. Someone had cut it down to make it a carbine, left it a little long as they also did with the wood. The barrel on the end has been dovetailed and a Sheard brass bead installed. With my load of 350 gr cast on top of 15 gr of unique, was spot on at 130 yds. It also has the buffington rear sight, that shows good blue and works very nicely. And best of all, the bore is bright and shiny, could not find any rust or pits. I will try to get TBG to post some pics.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a great shooter. I love single shots

Here it is. Great looking Working artifact!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    A good fine on a great old rifle.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    I traded for a 1884 Trapdoor today, pretty good blue, case is thin on the outside of the action, but when you open the trap, the case is mostly there, and on the tang. Blue is pretty good, fading to plum in some areas. Action and lock are both crisp, trigger pull is about #3.5. Someone had cut it down to make it a carbine, left it a little long as they also did with the wood. The barrel on the end has been dovetailed and a Sheard brass bead installed. With my load of 350 gr cast on top of 15 gr of unique, was spot on at 130 yds. It also has the buffington rear sight, that shows good blue and works very nicely. And best of all, the bore is bright and shiny, could not find any rust or pits. I will try to get TBG to post some pics.
    You know, I think I hate you! Only place I've seen a trapdoor was a museum. Why, oh why, oh WHY am I never in the right place at the right time!?!?! . It is beautiful! You so lucky!

Bill

Very nice wood on that one. Great find!

It really amazes me how many nice Trapdoors are still out there! Considering they're very old, and spent the usual lives of military service, it's just surprising to see the great condition of many I see today.
    That's a perfect example of one that appears to have seen very little military use. Nice Trapdoor!

Boolit Master
    Awesome!!!