Load DataPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Sights 336 marlin this time

Banned

Sights 336 marlin this time

So let me start with , I don't own a good camera , I tried for about 45 minutes to get a good picture with no luck .... If anyone has a decent camera they don't need and want to donate to the cause .... I'm all for it .

So we get older and iron sights get hard to see..... And it turns out I still don't like scopes .
    So let's improve the situation a bit on my marlin 336 .44 magnum .

Just like the sight on my 94 I start with brass simply because its easy to work with .
    I also tend to work best off the cuff ... Or start with a basic picture in my head , then do the bare minimum to see if my idea will work and refine it from there . not the fastest way to work and it usually means doing things 2-3 times to get where I'm happy .

So the first challenge is to get things low enough to not need a taller front sight . taking a guess at the math I need the appature center height to be @ .315. To let me get a 50 yd zero .
    I also want to push it back far as I can without interfering with the hammer
    And have enough elevation adjustment to get me to about 200 yards .
    maybe you can decipher my lousy pictures to get an idea where I'm going with this ... Though I doubt it .

Like my 94 sight the windage and elevation adjustment is via a dove tail
    The rear mounting screw will lock the windage , and there's a set screw to lock the elevation .

I've made a couple changes to my production methods. This time .
    I proved my point with the shaper so now I'm using my mill for everything .
    But I am still using a home made dovetail cutter .

And if I can figure out how to pay for a few tools I need and some fixturing I'm going to make the finished sight on my new CNC mill , probably out of 12l14

This won't be a fast process , my spending budget is zero .
    But I have the first proto type far along enough to Mount once I find some screws and check my math on the center height .

Attachment 264536
    Attachment 264537

Banned
    Resorting to using jacketed bullets ( the horror ) due to not having any copper gas checks .
    I tested the sight today , guess I got lucky with my guess at the center height for the appature .
    I have it plenty low enough for a 50 yard zero and the math says I have enough elevation to get to 200 like I wanted as long as I keep velocities over 1000 fps with my 310 grain Lee bullet .

All in all I'm happy as a pig in poop , it's been awhile since I had something do what I wanted from the start .

Boolit Master
    Great job! I was pleased, also, to read this because I have home-made sights on several of my rifles. Its a fun thing to do. Glad I'm not alone in this sort of thing.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Banned
    Thanks
    I like to stay busy and being unemployed I have a lot of free time to fill .
    Sights are something I've always been fascinated by , partly how horrible and hard to use some are , and partly how intricate and well made some are .

Mostly though I just plain like to make things .

Boolit Master

On your picture taking, you will have much better luck in a WELL LIT area.
    I find the bathroom the best lit room in the house, women put on their makeup there.
    Give it a try, the more room light the better the picture
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95