RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RCBS molds...

Boolit Master
    Them and Saeco are the best production molds, and I do have a few RCBS that cast small, like the .458-300 fpgc.

Absolutely, rcbs makes a great mold. Very well thought out bullet designs too.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    FYI RCBS molds have larger vent lines than other molds, if you pressure cast with hard alloy or cast too hot you get "finger/hairs where the vent lines are.

Not a problem if you know they will do that. I usually cast around 680 -720 except for pure where I go in the 750 780 range.
    YES! Those comments are exactly my thoughts too.

I ladle / pressure cast everything and the sizable vent lines they put in their blocks cause whiskers to be cast on the first bullets out of the mold until I remember to back off on the pressure or even just raise the spout a 1/4 inch, and that gets it. Great bullets! I cast the 44-250K as well and really enjoy making them two at a time. Yes, a 4-cavity for that one would be nice too.

I agree that RCBS molds are some of the best production molds going.

On the Lyman molds of old and before that the Ideal molds. ....they were very good as well. That all changed with them a few decades ago. Now they are hit or miss at best!
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Them and Saeco are the best production molds, and I do have a few RCBS that cast small, like the .458-300 fpgc.
    I also have the same mould and problem but a little lapping sorted it out. I have used RCBS Lyman CBE Saeco moulds and all give great service, I have two Lee 30 cal moulds that excel and are just the bee's knees however Lee do need to be worked on more often than not. I use the RCBS .458 500gr and am glad it is only 2 cavity. I must admit that RCBS make a great mould yet I find CBE brass moulds to be every bit as good fortunately as RCBS are hard to get in this country. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master

I agree. I really like my Accurate molds, but the RCBS take the cake for factory standard molds. I think I only own 4, but they all cast like a dream.

Boolit Mold
    I'm glad I found this thread, for a bit of bias confirmation, I guess! My first post here, and 'though I'm retirement age I've never cast a bullet; I've been reloading for 50 years. I just bought three used molds as a hedge, of sorts, and thinking I might give this a whirl. The RCBS molds appealed to me, from the pics on eBay, to the bullet designs. I got a 44-250-KT, 45-200-SWC, and 38-148-WC. All are beautifully aged, with a pleasing patina, and came with RCBS handles, also with the charm and warmth of years of use, without abuse.

I was hoping to learn that they are good molds. I liked the idea of cast iron as opposed to aluminum.

I can't wait to try them out. Now, what am I going to do with all those bullets I've purchased and stored away?

Cheers,

jv

p.s. tips for a beginner more than welcome.
    p.p.s. additional molds I'm interested in would be for .303 British in my SMLE, and 35 Remington to feed a hungry Marlin 1894.

Boolit Master

Clean them up well and pre-heat them before casting on a hot plate. If they are throwing wrinkles, get 'em hotter.
    Last edited by Taterhead; 06-13-2021 at 02:10 AM.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Master

I think that the New RCBS molds are about the best production molds available today. The old Ideal molds are hard to beat too.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    I like my .44 250K. Drops boolits about .4315" and I sized to .431 after powder coating them. The RCBS LAM II should be here this next week and I have a .431 die for it. Yes, two at a time is a bit tedious but it drops perfect boolits. I may order a 4 cav Accurate mold in the Keith style if the primer drought ends.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one RCBS mold, the 38-150 KT and love it. Like others I wish it were a four cavity. The mold is quality and the bullets are accurate which is my thing. I purchased an Arsenal clone of the same bullet and it is very good, but not the steel the RCBS is.

I would be interested in picking up more RCBS molds that fit my needs.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    Clean them up well....
    O.K., I'm all ears. They have a brownish patina to them, and I guess, looking at the cavities, they could use a cleaning. You'd a thunk there'd be a mold cleaning stickie post, along with the two dozen stickies on lapping Lee molds!

I tried rubbing with a cloth with mineral spirits, and then some Kano Kroil (liquid), and then 90% isopropyl, and not a dent!

I downloaded the H&G manual, which is gold! I haven't yet tried boiling in TSP, but maybe I should?

Any suggestions are most welcome.

Boolit Mold
    O.K., here's what I did:
    1. 30 minutes in the ultrasonic cleaner with 50° C water and one scoop of Alkaline Brewery Cleaner;
    2. rinse, dry in alcohol then cloth;
    3. 60 minutes in Evapo-rust;
    4. rinse, scrub gently with toothbrush and Barkeeper's Friend;
    5. dry in alcohol then cloth;
    6. light film of Rem Oil for storage.

Came out pretty good! Screws came out very nice and clean. I did everything except the tiny screw and brass plug for the sprue cutter bolt lock, and the spring washer for the sprue cutter bolt.

They are not shiny-new, but very clean, no crud, no rust.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I have several RCBS moulds .
    45-200 SWC great mould it only gets bumped because I can pour 4x as many H&G #130s every pour .

270-150 SP is fine as a super heavy for a custom 6.8 but it patches well for a couple of 7mms too .

27-130 FP ..... It casts 141 gr ...... Bummer in a 6.8 SPC .

The 7mm-168 ........this mould is just depressing . It's nose is just way small in every 7mm I've tried it in , 1909 Spanish sure I can see that , brand new Montana Rifleman or an A&B barrel , not so much . No alloy isn't making up the difference . I have this fantasy where I will lap it up someday . I didn't mention the tool marks did I ? Yeah it's ugly . Makes me sad I had really hoped it would be heavy and have a .277 nose but nooooooo I get the one with a .272 nose ........and now I might just leave it a lone , I do have a 6.5 that needs a .272 to fill the throat into the .269 groove ....... I'd forgotten about this until writing this ....there is hope .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master

When you get older and your hand strength and endurance isn't what it was 40 years ago ...
    Those two cavity moulds start to looking pretty good .
    I bought a sweet 4 cavity NOE mould and even though it's aluminum ... it wears me out ...
    I mean to the point where I ordered some 3 cavity moulds ...not a whole lot of difference but I do like the 3 cavity moulds ... sorta " Baby Bear " size for us older caster's ...it's just right !
    But those old 2 cavity moulds are starting to show their worth again .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12