Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Brass Catcher

Brass Catcher

I've been contemplating a simple wire or fiberglass mesh and 1x2 contraption that would quickly attach and detach to your shooting lane via simple clamps that would either deflect or deflect and catch expended pistol brass. Anybody come up with any ideas already? I hate to leave my brass laying around but dont really want to be moving around on a line full of shooters either.
    Calling an illegal immigrant an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."

Boolit Buddy
    What about something like this?

Universal Brass Catcher
    http://www.ctkprecision.com/universa...s-catcher.aspx

Looks like a landing net frame with a finer mesh bag. Could maybe make something similar from a landing net and a mesh laundry bag?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

A fold up laundry basket works fine.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EEEKit-2-...2-83/969119081

I do have one like the linked one above that mounts to a tripod but it’s just a swimming pool net that drops into a piece of pipe, so it didn’t cost $60.

Both great ideas. Thanks
    Calling an illegal immigrant an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."

A quick one I've made & used at the public range is to cut down a cardboard box where its about 3-4 inches tall on 3 sides.
    Then stand it up, and put a sand bag on the longer/bottom side.

It caught the cases coming out of both a M1A and a ratgun.
    When I left the range, somebody else would often want it, so I didn't have to take it home and throw it away each trip.

It works, and has great appeal to the frugal, redneck side of me.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Super happy with this:
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015055157

Went up in price since I bought it though. Worth it.

Just make sure you have something to weigh it down on windy days.

I also use it for shooting pistol. It attaches to a tripod. Great for the PPS43 and eastern block pistols that throw brass a mile.

Banned
    Emoly Mesh Popup Laundry Hamper with Handles, Portable & Durable Collapsible Dirty Clothes Mesh Basket Foldable for Washing Storage, Kids Room,College Dorm or Travel (Single-Layer, Grey) 12 2”x 12 2”x 12 2 $11.99

https://www.amazon.com/Emoly-Portabl...%2C226&sr=1-29

RESTCLOUD Insect and Butterfly Habitat Cage Terrarium Pop-up 23.6 Inches Tall Size: 15.7 x 15.7 x 23.6 inches $12.99

https://www.amazon.com/Pllieay-Colla...-games&sr=1-16

Handy Laundry Collapsible Mesh Foldable Hamper 14" x 14' x 24" Navy Blue $6.99

https://www.amazon.com/Mesh-Popup-La...4-135149aa9081

Mesh Popup Laundry Hamper - Two Compartments, Collapsible for Storage and Easy to Open. Folding Pop-Up Clothes Hampers are Great for The Kids Room, College Dorm or Travel. (Black) $10.99

https://www.amazon.com/Mesh-Popup-La...n%2C226&sr=1-7

Boolit Master
    The material is important , I have had brass melt through a cheap blue poly tarp .

Boolit Master

I have seen people use pvc pipe as a frame and use a dirty laundry mesh bag for the screen.

Boolit Master

saw one a while back that clamped onto the pic rail. Seemed kinda nice.

Caldwell makes one that straps to the rifle for about l25 bucks. Works flawlessly but is no help for a pistol.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master

If I get time I'll snap some pics tomorrow. I made a glove type that goes on my shooting hand, as well as three for rifles, one free standing on the bench and two that clamp/hook onto the rifle.

One thing about the glove one for pistols; I will use it to practice but no longer use it in the matches. I have had empties bounce off the catcher and right back into the ejection port, causing a jam. That's bad in timed or rapid fire stages!!

Boolit Master

OK here are pictures of the four I've made. I'm frugal in nature, and I can't see buying something if I can make it cheaply and effectively myself. Why a brass catcher? Well part of it is just that the older I get, I get sick up bending over and picking up brass! But there are specific gun related issues I'll detail below.

This first one I made primarily for when I shoot the Garands and the carbine. The Garands in particular eject violently, and often the brass goes forward. Since I shoot on ranges that usually have others shooting, I feel bad asking for a cease fire any more than is necessary to change targets, etc. This is just a $4 Walmart bait net, cut off and mounted on a simple wooden base

I bought another of the same net, and through trial and error rigged up a simple wooden mount to hold it that clamps on the gun. The side that touches the gun has Flex Tape rubber facing, and I chopped a cheap Harbor Freight C clamp to minimize the projections , etc. That is also wrapped in Flex Tape and/or electrical tape wherever it touches the gun.

For both of these, I forgot to put in for the picture that I used a simple piece of wire coat hanger to keep them open. The weight of a few 06 cases will pull the net down. Also, being made of nylon, a hot 06 case will sometimes melt itself to the net, but no permanent damage.

This one I made for my two .22s. Just a simple coated wire clothes hanger, bent to shape, a shot bag cover, cardboard to hold the mouth open, and I cut the bag and put a velcro tab to make it easy to empty. Just hook it over the scope. Why catch .22 casings? Two reasons. One, I hate finding the range at our club littered with spent .22 brass. Even though we provide brass buckets and brooms, there are a few slobs that seem to think it's beneath their station in life to pick up after themselves. Second, I scrap brass. It's amazing how much brass I accumulate in 6 months or a year. Buys lunch, of maybe a thousand primers.

Finally, I made this one for pistol shooting. Specifically, when I did my .38-45 Clerke project, I decided that a wildcat round that takes 5 pulls of the press handle to form is something I do NOT want to lose. It's a Harbor Freight mechanics glove, a Walmart aquarium net, and a bit of sewing to fabricate a slot to hold the wire handle of the net, then some trial and error bending. Like I said, I learned the hard way not to use this in an actual competition. Mr. Murphy has shown up more than once, and a round has hit the frame and bounced right back int the ejection port, jamming the gun. That can cost a lot in a timed or rapid fire string!

I don't know, maybe I have too much time on my hands!

Boolit Grand Master

I have made several from hardware store materials. free standing on the bench beside the fire arm this makes them universal use. the mesh dedicates bags work well but can be a little big in size. My opening is around 10" tall and 14" long. for easy adjustments 1/4" compression fittings are used. For the friction Height adjustment a rubber chair cap is used.

Bill of materials:
    60" 1/4" aluminum round stock.
    12" 1/4" Id 3/8 od aluminum tubing
    12" 3/8" Id 1/2" Od aluminum tubing
    1 each 1/4" compression tee.
    1 ea rubber chair leg end 3/8" or cane end
    1 ea 1/2" chair end cane tip
    1 laundry delicate mesh bag.
    1 piece of plate for base 10"X14"

Tools required
    Hack saw
    file
    ruler
    squar4
    a means of bending 1/4" aluminum round stock
    drill bits 3/8" and 1/4" undersized is better

Lay out round stock starting at one end 7", 17" 27"37" and 44". 17, 27, and 47 are bends 90*. Weave thread mesh bag onto this frame. It should fit in the loop for the drawstring. The 1/4" Compression tee goes between these 2 ends.
    Drill the rubber caps with the appropriate undersized drills.
    drill base for the 1/2" od tube to mount.
    the bottom of the tee fastens the bag to the end of the 1/4" height rod.

This allows the cather to be angled as needed and the 3 hight rods allow for adjustment from 12" to 36" in height If its wind ammo or other ballast can be set on base to hold it better

Boolit Master
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    I have one of those or one similar for an AR-15 works great.