RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions: 44-40 Black Power. Big Bore, Big Chamber

Thanks sharps4590! My question was really about getting a properly sized mold to fit my oddly shaped chamber/throat/groove diameter. I think i have that question answered. mold i ordered. I can work up powder a charge once I have projectiles casted.

Vendor Sponsor

You are clearly having fun with this old rifle. And it with you.
    Chill Wills

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    You are clearly having fun with this old rifle. And it with you.
    definitely!

ok, Here's another Question. I ordered the bullet mold through accurate (43-200ql) and handles. I'm going to need to re-size the casted bullets down to the .444 throat diameter. I'm using a lee turret press. I can't find any sizing dies in .444 in a lee push through variation. There are custom dies, but the only custom sizing options seem to be for a lubrisizer (which I don't own) or get a lee APP press (which I don't own either.) The only options I see involve me buying another press. Are their options out there to get a custom sizing die that would fit a lee turret?

Quote Originally Posted by littlef View Post
    I'm going to need to re-size the casted bullets down to the .444 throat diameter.
    I think you are misunderstanding the use of the 43-200Q Did you read the article in the link I posted?

Outpost75, the first person to reply to your topic, designed this bullet. Read the article he wrote about it and I put some of it on the website.

https://sites.google.com/view/44winc...ester-73-bores
    Last edited by Savvy Jack; 07-25-2020 at 04:43 PM.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by littlef View Post
    interesting -so, you are saying I should take the casts, size them down to my .444 chamber cast dimension? - what about the driving bands only being .428? - fyi: I plan on only using black powder/black powder substitutes.
    Most likely you will not need to size the stop ring flange on the bullet at all, because the seating die will do so when you force the bullet into the case mouth against the stop ring. Then the Redding Profile Crimp or Lee Factory Crimp die will finish forming a driving band ahead of the case mouth which will conform to the interior of the die diameter, usually .432" although results will vary depending upon the die make.

If you should choose to size the forepart in your lubricator-sizer, this works fine, and the smaller diameter driving bands will not be touched by a larger diameter size die. They will have a good film of extra lube on them which is fine. Wipe the excess lube which is extruded out the case mouth off with a rag when done and you are good to go.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Thanks, Savvy Jack. I saved that article. That was very helpful.

Gotcha outpost75, that makes sense, Savvy Jack also posted the the link: https://sites.google.com/view/44winchester/contributors/ed-harris/over-sized-bullet-for-over-sizes-bores-original-winchester-73-bores." That article goes into pretty good depth. I'll wait till the mold shows up, and I have a batch of casted bullets to experiment with. I'm using a lee factory crimp die, and if that doesn't work, I'll look into other options then. Thanks for your help.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Once you get going feel free to PM me if you have further questions. If looking for a smokeless load 6 grains of Bullseye, Trail Boss or Titegroup with 200-215-grain soft lead bullet will closely approximate factory ammo within safe pressure for the old guns.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Once you get going feel free to PM me if you have further questions. If looking for a smokeless load 6 grains of Bullseye, Trail Boss or Titegroup with 200-215-grain soft lead bullet will closely approximate factory ammo within safe pressure for the old guns.
    excellent. Thank you very much sir.

So a question here and maybe it has been answered already ... if so, disregard.

What is the diameter of your fire formed brass neck's? Before sizing them ... after cleaning ... measure the inside of the neck after slight flairing the former crimp out. Would this not dictate your need for boolit diameter in a soft casting mix?

I have several old vintage rifles and this is my recipe for determining boolit diameter and so far it works like a charm.

For instance my Remington Rolling block in 43 Spanish required a .451 in an unsized case ... it shoots the custom 400ish grain boolit cast in a "special" mold from Accurate. Tom has always treated me great there and I have a few molds from him at particular and not normal diameter sizes.

Anyhew ... there is my addition to a great thread. Again nice ol '73' my friend. I wound up with same vintage as yours in 38 WCF. Love that old rifle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12