Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Mulberry fans?

Boolit Master

Any Mulberry fans?

Bumper crop this year off of our "Illinois Everbearing" trees. Seems like they taste best right off the tree. I think I like them better than blueberries. My wife picked and froze a couple gallons worth. Anyone else like 'em?

Boolit Bub
    Late freeze in Indiana pretty much killed our mulberry hopes. Lots of trees and no berries. Black walnuts are no shows too. You can always plant later but for stuff that you get from existing trees the weather can make or break things.

Glad you guys got a good crop. Love em.

Frank

As a young lad feasting on Mulberries from a tree on the homestead in Oklahoma went well until I got one full of worms. I don’t recall eating any since. When they are ripe, every car around gets custom purple splotches from the birds.

Boolit Master
    I picked enough this year from a tree my brother-in-law has to make 4 pints of mulberry jam and 4 more pints of jelly. This is my first exposure to Mulberries and it is VERY good.

Mulberries are good to eat, but the real treasure is in the wood. Properly seasoned and dried, it has reds, yellows and purple stripes all through it.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master

mulberry is a great tree/shrub/bush.

i picked up a steam juicer several years back.

best tool for using up the pounds of berries.

before, i wouldn't pick much due to the hassle of seeds.

WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Master
    We have seven trees on the property, 6 females and one male. The females get the fruit. Bumper crop!! We pick some but leave most on for the birds and squirrels. We also have black cherry and a huge thornless raspberry.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Can mulberry shrubs/trees be started from seed? Easily? The back of my yard could use more fruit shrubs or small trees.

Boolit Man
    This year was indeed a banner year. Made up for a nonexistent last year. About 8 quarts. The kids n bride picked. I use the backhoe to get them up into the jackpots. I couldn’t climb to pick this year. Just had a kidney transplant and not to mobile yet.

Banned

I am picking Blackberries right now. I like them way better than mulberry. I got about 3 gals worth now. and about half the patch is still turning from red yet

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    I am picking Blackberries right now. I like them way better than mulberry. I got about 3 gals worth now. and about half the patch is still turning from red yet
    So it’s blackberry season?

Boolit Master
    My mulberry’s are done for the year. Now got to check on the blackberrys. The wetter the year the mulberry just don’t taste as good if it’s been really wet before and during Them ripening up. The blackberry’s also. Had so many go to the critters because I can’t reach a lot of them.

Boolit Master
    Mullberrys are slim on my place this year, late frost got me on everything. Peach trees were loaded with blossums darn it.

Boolit Master
    We have two mulberry trees in our property. Don't know whether they are male or female. This year, they seem very late in leafing out, in fact, I thought they were dead. One day, tiny green leaves seemed to pop out all over. The berries tjis year are tiny, but then again, we have not hsd much rain in about a month. Don't care abiut eating them that much, but I do like that they attract turkeys, racoons and woodchucks. The last two make great live target practice.

When I lived in Pittsburgh, there was a large mulberry tree in the alley behind my apartment. At that time, I lived in student housing, and practiced home wine making with recipes from a book I had. I decided to try the mulberry, since they were free, and plentiful. After about six months, I had a couple of gallons of mulberry wine that was good enough I could have sold it. All my friends wanted more; I could never duplicate it.

In Pittsburgh, there are at least two trees that grow like weeds; mulberry, and ailanthus (Tree of Heaven). It seems that every time I found a good mulberry tree, it was in the wrong spot and soon cut down. There is a large tree in a grassy area just off the Parkway East in Swissvale, and I harvested it for several years.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    I grow up with the largest tree I have ever seen. Loved eating Mulberries. For the last few years I have been searching for a place to buy a handful of trees. No one in my area has ever hear of one. Ummm Mulberries lucky you guys.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Moderator Emeritus

I use them to make morat, mulberry mead. Good stuff!

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe some one can weigh in on this, but it is starting to seem to me mulberry trees don't seem to start producing fruit until they have been heavily trimmed back. I have a handful on my property that won't produce a berry but the one's under the windows and else where I cut them down seem to produce berries despite the fact they are spindly re growths
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd pick a few and eat them while climbing trees as a kid, actually picking enough to make jelly with seems to much like work.

Mulberries are in the same family as osage orange, aka hedge, which means it is a long lasting wood. Dad, who actually grew up farming, said if you rate hedge as a 100 year fence post, mulberry would make a 70 year post.

Robert

Boolit Master

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Daylily-...AN-w&gclsrc=ds

Easier to start them from a plant than a seed.

Love them as well.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast