RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Adapt Lee XR Hand Primer Connecting Rod to old model Lee Hand Primer

Boolit Grand Master

Adapt Lee XR Hand Primer Connecting Rod to old model Lee Hand Primer

Good morning
    Anyone tried adapting the new XR connecting rod to the old Lee Round Tray system ?
    Me repair is still holding holding after two years of "careful" use down here but it would be nice to have a backup solution.
    Mike in LLama Land
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master

Unfortunately the new connecting rods are shorter, and the ends are way different than the old round tray. The handles are exactly the same though, and being softer, they are what seem to wear first. If you do wear out a connecting rod, it would likely be better to repair the one you have. Looking at mine, I'm not sure what it is made of, but it looks like cast iron. I'm sure it is possible to build up a little weld on there, and grind to fit. Another option might be to gently hammer, or forge the larger rounded end to move metal closer to the top.

Boolit Grand Master

Howdy Mega
    Thank you for the info on the new Connector rod.
    The old connectors for the round tray (our's) is zinc (pot metal) so I repaired it with two thin hardened rods and epoxy which works.
    I think I will look into what the cost would be to have maybe 100 of them made down here once life returns to normal. Could use my repaired rod as the pattern and mold them of aluminum.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

Boolit Grand Master

If you were to have some made, your best bet would be a machine shop, not a foundry. It would be cheaper, more accurate, and you could have them made of steel. Any machine shop with a CNC could easily copy yours, and they would be quick to make. Even so, my guess is the cost would not be worth it when you can pick up a new one for around $25. I do not know your own situation, so that may be a factor.

My connecting rod is magnetic, which may explain why it has lasted so well.

Boolit Grand Master

I know some fellers down here that work with "lost wax process" casting and turn out some rather well made pieces. They work with brass mostly I am thinking.

Boolit Master

Great subject Guys. I've been happy with the original Lee priming tool since it's inception. I can't remember why, but I tried the Hornady tool when they tried to jump on the bandwagon years ago. It was a huge flop, AFAIWC. The design was a complete flop. I'm guessing that Lee had some lock on their design, preventing any real improvements. Same-o with RCBS. I cant see that the new Lee was an improvement.
    Several years ago I began picking up Lee #1 models wherever I could, mostly at gun show tables. I now have 5 complete sets. I've had only one breakage, the top rim of the shell holder started to separate from the main body. Oh yes, I stepped on a cover.
    Keep all the points of contact lubricated and your good for years.
    When Lee's claim on proprietorship runs out some smart young dude will figure out how to get rich making a high demand product. Maybe he'll want one of my sets to duplicate.
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Boolit Grand Master

I wouldn't say Lee's new version is an improvement, but it's not a downgrade. The elevator contraption they put on it is not needed. They claim it was for safety. I don't believe it was ever unsafe to begin with, but even if it did, why not just the metal block off alone? Surely that metal block is enough. Fortunately they did make one huge improvement on the tray. I know not everyone likes them, but I absolutely love the new primer trays. They are so much easier to handle, and being a big Federal primer fan, they are so much easier to fill.

Boolit Grand Master

That would explain the square large size tray. That was another good idea.

Boolit Master

I'm another who never found a suitable replacement for the original Lee hand primer. I have three now and a few parts in reserve. If Lee Mfg. is done with this design I wholeheartedly wish that SOMEONE would start manufacturing it again! With NO "improvements", thank you very much, just make it like Lee did the first time. Best priming tool EVER, and I've used them all, believe me. My arthritic hands know what they like and they like the Lee #1.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Banned

Mike, is this what you're looking for?
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012845323

If it is I'd be happy to try to help you get one or two.

Boolit Master
    my round tray lee primer seater suffered catastrophic failure when the hand lever snapped, its not weldable or even brazeable, no parts available, they have a new improved design with a square tray, new lever does not fit round tray primer seater, the tabs on the covers broke off after some time, again, not repairable and no parts available cuz they now got a new improved design with a folding tray, this one is still going but the squared hand lever is very awkward and not so comfortable. funny thing is that my old pot metal lee priming tool that came with a deluxe lee loader kit is still going strong but only have a few most common shell holders for it. you get what you pay for. if I had it all to do over would have spent the $ and gotten an RCBS and their shell holders way back when. the new Lyman ezprime looks interesting and uses common shell holders, for what you might pay a machinist or a set up to cast parts it might be an option.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    my round tray lee primer seater suffered catastrophic failure when the hand lever snapped, its not weldable or even brazeable, no parts available, they have a new improved design with a square tray, new lever does not fit round tray primer seater, the tabs on the covers broke off after some time, again, not repairable and no parts available cuz they now got a new improved design with a folding tray, this one is still going but the squared hand lever is very awkward and not so comfortable. funny thing is that my old pot metal lee priming tool that came with a deluxe lee loader kit is still going strong but only have a few most common shell holders for it. you get what you pay for. if I had it all to do over would have spent the $ and gotten an RCBS and their shell holders way back when. the new Lyman ezprime looks interesting and uses common shell holders, for what you might pay a machinist or a set up to cast parts it might be an option.
    Not true, the new handle fits perfect. I put the new folding tray style handle on my round tray, it is a direct fit. It looks like Lee does not have them listed on their website at the moment, but a call should get you one for just a couple dollars, if not free.

Boolit Grand Master

Lee part # for the "Auto prime XR" lever is 272339 032918

This lever is a direct replacement for the old round tray priming tools.

Boolit Grand Master

Good evening
    Thank you Tankgunner and megasuperag for this good info !
    Tankgunner I think just the replacement connector part is the way to go as I have extra trays and handles. Down here I have y repaired connector that soldiers on. Up north there is where the extra parts are but no connector links. Those connectors are the key

Boolit Master
    ive got 3 ,still the best tool

Boolit Grand Master
    I’ve lost count, but. I think I’ve got four or five complete 1st gen units and one or two incomplete for parts. Like the OP with his 2nd gen unit, I just want to be sure I have enough parts to keep one lg primer and one sm primer unit operational as long as I reload. Since I’m over 70 now, I think I have what I’ll need, but I hope I can keep reloading long enough to almost wear out my last one.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    I finally used up the critical spare parts I had for the Lee round priming tool so I got the Frankfort Arsenal one that is basically the same just supersized. I am extremely pleased with it! The lid fits on tight so the primers don't go sideways or upside-down. The seating depth is adjustable, the tray is easy to load. I have used the round lid Lee for years, and don't like the square version- it's taking up space on a shelf now.
    Loren

After running it for decades, the connecting rod for my original Auto Prime broke a couple of months ago. Nobody makes a replacement for that rod, including LEE. I was fortunate enough to recently win an Ebay auction for a box of spare Auto Prime parts, including two good connecting rods. I'm in good shape for now.

Boolit Master
    im gonna have to locate my old round tray lee and try the levers. I liked that design very much. the newest one with folding tray doesn't always preload a primer in the mechanism that the tray attaches to, gets frustrating sometimes.