Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: 30-30 question trimming case to fit bullet????

Boolit Buddy

30-30 question trimming case to fit bullet????

so did some figuring on using the Lee C309-185 boolit in my 30-30 and be able to have the crimp grove at the end of the case.

the standard 30-30 case is 2.039" long

now to seat the bullet deep enough to keep it off the rifling i need to trim the case back to 1.900" to have it at the crimp grove

would taking .139" off the case length be ok to seat the bullet deep enough into the 30-30 case with the case neck end at the crimp grove be ok?

the bullet will end up being a bit past the neck and into the larger portion of the case but i also noticed this bullet will be that way in 30-06 and other cases. would this cause issues for me? i think in the 30-30 the gas check would be a tad past the neck if this makes sense.

seat your bullet with the grove inside the neck , it wont hurt a thing , , do not cut your cases , this will cause some slight accuracy issues , the loaded ammunition may not seat true in the chamber.just make sure the overall length will fit you rifle and the load ( powder charge ) is good for your bullet weight per your reloading manual for cast bullets..
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

Boolit Master
    You can trim your cases like that and it will work. Since case trimming is something I don't like I would either seat deeper as Badbob suggested or use a different bullet. You may well be using a lever action and want to crimp in the groove for that reason, so they will hold up in the magazine tube without telescoping. Hornady uses short cases with some of their loads to accomplish just what you are suggesting.
    Rule 303

Boolit Master

Your gun your bullets. Try 3 of each. Trim three cases and three deep seated. See what works best. Might be a non issue. As long as the lead doesn't seat below the shoulder you should be good to go.

Boolit Grand Master

It's way easier to buy a Lee collet crimp die, and make a groove wherever you want.

Boolit Grand Master

Trim your brass to fit your chamber only - for other problems look for other solutions.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I agree with magnum collet Die is the way to go
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

People have been doing this for years and it works just fine. Accuracy will not be affected.

Boolit Master
    The main problem for me with trimming to fit the bullet would be winding up with several different case lengths to keep sorted.
    The Lee collet crimp would be easier to live with unless I only had one bullet that I would ever use in that cartridge.
    Take your pick.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by badbob454 View Post
    seat your bullet with the grove inside the neck , it wont hurt a thing , , do not cut your cases , this will cause some slight accuracy issues , the loaded ammunition may not seat true in the chamber.just make sure the overall length will fit you rifle and the load ( powder charge ) is good for your bullet weight per your reloading manual for cast bullets..
    I am with this! Beyond that, find a different boolit. To have odd case lengths floating around would needlessly complicate things.

You can go the other way but that is my take on your situation.

Best regards

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    Plus make sure it will feed from the tube mag. Load some 30-30 this spring, had not done that in years. Found OAL by chambering, forgot about feeding from the magazine. One of those DOH moments. Had to single feed at the range that day.