Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: speed?

FWIW.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master
    It seems that pushing them worked
    I shot the best groups I have in a long time
    19.0 gr w 296 with a 315 gr Lee lit up by a wlp
    I tried the 255 gr Keith's but those did not group that well
    I had started out with the bottom charge of 2400 and that wasn't
    very good as far as groups went but there is room for improvement on that one
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    Could you , PLEASE, get us a video of that 4227 load being fired. Especially from the side.
    Here is a still from a video I made July 4th 2016 - I'm not 100% positive its the 4227 load sadly, I just don't remember. I'll see if I can't get another video made this weekend.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0823.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	264543
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier View Post
    Here is a still from a video I made July 4th 2016 - I'm not 100% positive its the 4227 load sadly, I just don't remember. I'll see if I can't get another video made this weekend.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0823.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	264543
    With all those little flaming bits, there is a good chance that is 4227. I like that powder, it performs well with a strangely soft recoil pulse. Unfortunately I never seem to quite get the accuracy of other powders. It is fantastic in 357 maximum.

Boolit Grand Master
    I agree about the recoil for whatever reason it's not a heavy hitter
    I use it in my 475 Linebaugh and 500 Linebaugh I do get pretty good
    accuracy with it though
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

…a strangely soft recoil pulse.
    Is a perfect way to describe 4227.

As for accuracy, thank goodness, 4227 and the Lee 315gr FN are the best combo I’ve found in my RedHawk. At 1260 fps that’s about all I ever want to shoot and its safe to say it should probably stop a cantankerous charging cement mixer.

Also, I’m at least 95% sure that picture is 4227 but I have 2 videos from that night one I believe was with 2400 and the other 4227. I’ll still try to get another this weekend just because its fun to do.
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    It seems that pushing them worked
    I shot the best groups I have in a long time
    19.0 gr w 296 with a 315 gr Lee lit up by a wlp
    I tried the 255 gr Keith's but those did not group that well
    I had started out with the bottom charge of 2400 and that wasn't
    very good as far as groups went but there is room for improvement on that one
    Depending on the batch I have had very erratic performance with 2400 at some of the listed start loads. Speer says not below 18g now for a 250g Keith. I stay at the new listed max, 20g which burns almost as well as Keith's load.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have an old Speer manual that lists Elmer's load
    I have tried it in a different revo and it worked well in that gun
    not sure or remember the accuracy but I think it was around 1500 fps
    from a 7.5" Ruger Blackhawk
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    I had to look it up to be sure but I got 1500 fps from my 4 inch Colt, Lyman 429421, and Elmer's load of 2400 listed in the log as "New Batch", no lot number. That same "warm" batch made 1608 fps from a 6" S&W 629-6 except NOE 429421. Water dropped WW+Tin with Glen F's Lube, KVB Primer.

I lost track years ago at about 120 Lbs as to how much 2400 I've burned.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2400.jpg  
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master
    Shoot thats a lot of 2400
    I thought I was bad at 32 # of h110
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    yes all hits are dead center
    I mainly shoot Keith's in my gun as well but have been experimenting with heavier boolits
    I know iron sights are harder to get to shoot accurately but I am having a heck of a time
    getting any accuracy I would consider good hunting accuracy
    I can only hit my 10" steel 3 out of 6 times at 50 yds if I am lucky but that won't due for hunting
    Ok let me ask the $1000 question, can you hit the same plate with another bullet wt/load? Test off the bench. I have no issue getting 3" groups at 100y off a bench with my RBHB & 2x scope running 270-310gr bullet with 2400 at about 1250fps. Pretty far off max.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    Ok let me ask the $1000 question, can you hit the same plate with another bullet wt/load? Test off the bench. I have no issue getting 3" groups at 100y off a bench with my RBHB & 2x scope running 270-310gr bullet with 2400 at about 1250fps. Pretty far off max.
    1250 fps with the Lee 310 grain is moving pretty good, I'd have to think that's near max unless you have a very long barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    FWIW.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    My success is pretty close to Thumbcockers. I loaded 20.5 gr H110and CCI mag primer for 1230 fps average with the 310 Lee and a gascheck out of my 4" 629. I has a LOT of torque but the load is dead nutz accurate and really consistent velocity spreads. That boolit like to run hard. 22.5 grs of H110 goes 1485 fps (ouch) from my 9" SRH and 5 of them will snuggle into 1" at 50yds when I do my part. It is as powerful a 44 mag load as I will ever need and it never gets shot in my S&W guns. 44Man was right (he usually was) about running them hard.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    I had to look it up to be sure but I got 1500 fps from my 4 inch Colt, Lyman 429421, and Elmer's load of 2400 listed in the log as "New Batch", no lot number. That same "warm" batch made 1608 fps from a 6" S&W 629-6 except NOE 429421. Water dropped WW+Tin with Glen F's Lube, KVB Primer.

Amazing.

Boolit Master

I bought a used 5 1/2" Redhawk a while back, tried all kinds of loads with so-so results. Then someone here mentioned Greendot and groups shrank. I have 2 Arsenal molds; 432-210 / 6.5 gr. Greendot (RCBS rotor #15) and 429-421 / 7.1 gr. Greendot (rotor #16) , CCI primers, sized .432, 50/50 Pb/WW, NRA lube. I shoot 30 shot groups @ 30 yards and get 3" or less groups. 2 hands over a rest and 78 year old eyes. These 2 loads don't beat me up and are a pleasure to shoot. Have no idea what the velocity is. Try it at your own risk!

Boolit Man
    I've used the 429421 and 357421 and haven't had real good accuracy with either. The RCBS 150 gr SWC shoots much better in the .357 but as yet have no replacement for the 429421. When I do, the 4-cavity 429421 is going up for sale.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
    I've used the 429421 and 357421 and haven't had real good accuracy with either. The RCBS 150 gr SWC shoots much better in the .357 but as yet have no replacement for the 429421. When I do, the 4-cavity 429421 is going up for sale.
    With the 358429 try 10 grains of Bluedot. If that doesn't shoot at least half decent, something is either wrong with the gun, or how you are loading ammo.

Back in the 70's and 80's I had a Ruger SBH as well as a 5.5 " Red Hawk.
    I had a Lyman 429421 mold that dropped COWW boolits at 262 grs. I water dropped them when running max loads. They measured around .432. That's how I shot them. Couldn't afford any sizing equipment at the time. Lubed with a Lyman or RCBS lube by hand. Later on when I found Lee's Liquid Alox I switched to that.
    When wanted to get serious about group I would set on the ground, lean up against something handy, Brought my knees up, gripped the gun with both hands and laid it across my knees so my wrists were on my knees. Rock solid position.
    Both shot well with a load of 21.5 grs of 2400 using a standard primer, usually CCI. No chrony at the time so I can't give those specs.
    With that hold both guns could put all 6 chambers into one ragged hole I could cover with a quarter. If I shot 6 rounds out of any one chamber the group was a bit smaller. The SBH had one chamber that threw a bit of a flier. 5 in one not to ragged hole the odd chamber threw it's round out by about a 1/16 ".
    At one range I shot at There was a fence line about 250 yards out. Some one hung a car flywheel out on that fence. Standing up and shooting off hand holding the gun with both hands I could hit that flywheel with all six rounds.
    I use to hunt rabbits with those two guns. Never hurt no meat. Out to about 75 yards head shots were easy.
    On deer I once jumped one up in a swamp and he headed almost straight away, at a bit over 50 yards out the boolit hit him high on rear left hip. and exited on the right front shoulder. Breaking down both the rear and front legs and passing through the top of the paunch a bit below his spine. Through the top of the lungs.
    He piled up pretty quick.
    After that I backed the load down a bit. Dropped the powder to 17.5 grs. and stopped water dropping the boolits.
    These shot very well too. The recoil was a bit easier to handle. I never did recover a boolit from a game animal.
    I did shoot some into block of wood before I split them for fire wood.
    With the W/D COWW and 21.5 gr load I got about 12 to 14 " of penetration with little boolit deformation.
    The lighter load I got about 8 to 10 " of penetration with almost perfectly mushroomed boolits.
    The blocks I shot into the end mostly maple, some were beech.
    I also shot a mid range load of the same boolit with 8.5 grs of Unique. It didn't shoot quite as tight but was for fun to shoot.
    Leo

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post

Heh, heh, heh. That's cool. Some fun along the way, no doubt.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Quote Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
    What load and what gun are you having the bad luck with the 429421? I have had great accuracy with 16.6 grs of 2400 in all of my 44 mag's. If you cannot get that boolit to shoot accurately, do what megasupermagnum said, check the gun and/or your technique.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12