RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Took the plunge - Henry LeverX in 4570

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TjB101 View Post
    Hey Don ... question above towards another member regarding Dacron filler for lower volume powder... do you? If so what is your methodology?

Thanks TJ
    With the fast shotshell powders, including Unique, I don't use a Dacron filler. With 2400, 4227, and 4198 I use a 0.75gr filler. Hope that helps.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Trail Boss is pretty pricy stuff... It’s not a pound.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AFF85BAC-D9E8-4059-A46F-2769EED7D395.jpeg  
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Man
    Little price - true! I was lucky enough to walk into a Sportsman's Warehouse that was selling two 8 lb containers for $99 each. They said they had been on the shelf too long and wanted to get rid of them. A quick calculation showed that it was $12.5 per pound. Win, win - they got them off the shelf and I took them home. Now I get to have cheap fun and lots of it!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mvozz View Post
    Little price - true! I was lucky enough to walk into a Sportsman's Warehouse that was selling two 8 lb containers for $99 each. They said they had been on the shelf too long and wanted to get rid of them. A quick calculation showed that it was $12.5 per pound. Win, win - they got them off the shelf and I took them home. Now I get to have cheap fun and lots of it!!
    Aside from the 4570 that you mentioned above, what else do you use it for?

Boolit Man
    I use it in: 44 mag - 6 grains behind a 240gr boolit. (I am using them to teach a co-worker to learn not to flinch as you squeeze the trigger). 357 mag 4 grains behind a 150gr wadcutter - 4 grains behind a 125gr SWC for plinking fun and 2.5 grains behind a 85gr wadcutter gallery boolit. Then there is 8 grains behind a 173gr in my 30-30. My wife loves all of these and will shoot them all day long. After 40 years of reloading I have finally learned that "Bigger, Faster and Flatter" doesn't exactly equate to more fun. Now don't get me wrong I still shoot plenty of Blue Dot, BE86, H110 and etc... but that is when I am loading my serious rounds. My fun rounds are for the pure enjoyment of putting lead down range and punching paper or ringing steel without all of the recoil! Even with the added expense of Trailboss it is still cheaper than factory rounds and a whole lot more fun!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mvozz View Post
    I use it in: 44 mag - 6 grains behind a 240gr boolit. (I am using them to teach a co-worker to learn not to flinch as you squeeze the trigger). 357 mag 4 grains behind a 150gr wadcutter - 4 grains behind a 125gr SWC for plinking fun and 2.5 grains behind a 85gr wadcutter gallery boolit. Then there is 8 grains behind a 173gr in my 30-30. My wife loves all of these and will shoot them all day long. After 40 years of reloading I have finally learned that "Bigger, Faster and Flatter" doesn't exactly equate to more fun. Now don't get me wrong I still shoot plenty of Blue Dot, BE86, H110 and etc... but that is when I am loading my serious rounds. My fun rounds are for the pure enjoyment of putting lead down range and punching paper or ringing steel without all of the recoil! Even with the added expense of Trailboss it is still cheaper than factory rounds and a whole lot more fun!
    Interesting ... appreciate the feedback... I may have to pick up a pound, err, 9oz jug one day and give it a whirl.

Boolit Buddy
    Cast about 500 360gr projectiles and loaded 80 for testing based on a few weeks of research and powders on hand.

20 each of: 11gr Bullseye, 11gr Unique, 14gr of Trailboss, and 22gr of 2400. Only added a buffer to the 2400 round. Range time soon with the new rifle.

Boolit Master

I want to here everything! I have been thinking about this rifle for the last two months but I’m worried about accuracy with cast in a microgroove barrel.
    Last edited by sutherpride59; 08-05-2020 at 12:48 AM.
    90% professional 10% mature

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sutherpride59 View Post
    I want to here everything! I have been thinking about this rifle for the last two months but I’m worried about accuracy with cast in a microgroove barrel.
    I believe all new Henry production is button-riffled ... at least hoping so.

TJ

Boolit Master

Oh I see I’m sorry I was thinking Henry had the microgroove like marlin.
    90% professional 10% mature

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sutherpride59 View Post
    Finally got out to the range ... first scrounged about 50lbs of range scrap before testing my 4 test loads. 25 yards, the new Henry allows you to raise or lower the sights and adjust for windage by loosing the rear sights set screws. When I raised the sight it did slight changed the POI to the right about 2” ... tweaked the windage and set it. Sights are very bright. The Unique and Bullseye were very soft, could shoot those all day. The 2400 was very nice and provided some nice groups.

Like this Henry ... it’s a keep

Boolit Bub
    I ordered mine in February after someone wanted my gbl more than I did. It arrived yesterday. I have not been able to range it yet.

I’m assuming my mild cast for the gbl should be fine in this? They were loaded gentle and to the manual for length.

I’m interested in hearing about the henry loads/slugging/etc. Trigger feels very nice. I may need to trim about 1/2” off LOP. Hurts to do that to an unfired rifle though, so I’ll probably wait a bit.

Boolit Grand Master

My best friend's son has a 45-70 Marlin, among a lot of other guns. My 457122 Gould is the only cast boolit he will shoot, and shoots that one because it is effective, doesn't lead, and is very accurate in his gun.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ironbrew View Post
    I ordered mine in February after someone wanted my gbl more than I did. It arrived yesterday. I have not been able to range it yet.

I’m assuming my mild cast for the gbl should be fine in this? They were loaded gentle and to the manual for length.

I’m interested in hearing about the henry loads/slugging/etc. Trigger feels very nice. I may need to trim about 1/2” off LOP. Hurts to do that to an unfired rifle though, so I’ll probably wait a bit.
    Have you had a chance to slug your barrel? Any custom loads you were happy with?

So far the best plinking round has been my 11gr of Bullseye with a 350gr cast pill. Still trying to source some H/IMR4198 for a heavier load.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12