RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Took the plunge - Henry LeverX in 4570

Boolit Buddy

Took the plunge - Henry LeverX in 4570

Went to my local LGS to sell / transfer a CZ yesterday and thought I’d bring an old Sig227sas and see what low ball price they would throw my way ... they offered me top dollar for it (actually more than I paid) so left it there and went home with the HenryX in 4570.

I’ll cast and PC for it and started my required research last night. Looking at a Lee 340 or 400 gr mold and noticed that Unique and 2400 were discussed in my threads for medium velocity range fodder. However, I could source any load data for those powders.

For those that cast / reload 4570, any recommendations on good, low recoil reloads? Also, anyone have a source for once fired brass?

Thanks in advance,
    TJ

Nice rifle. I'm sure you will get a life time of good service from it. To answer your question about the medium level loads, here's a source for some data not found in the traditional loading manuals. I've had a lot fun playing with the data listed for 30-30, and 30-06.
    http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

I cast both 340 and 400 Lee's....I am a huge fan of the H4198 powder. I keep my velocity in the 1200-1400 range. Its not too bad on the shoulder and it definitely takes down white tails.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    Nice rifle. I'm sure you will get a life time of good service from it. To answer your question about the medium level loads, here's a source for some data not found in the traditional loading manuals. I've had a lot fun playing with the data listed for 30-30, and 30-06.
    http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm
    Nice ... thanks for the reply & link. I dug threw my manuals and found a few confirmed loads for Unique and 2400 ... unique sounds very moderate at the lower end of loads.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    I cast both 340 and 400 Lee's....I am a huge fan of the H4198 powder. I keep my velocity in the 1200-1400 range. Its not too bad on the shoulder and it definitely takes down white tails.

redhawk
    Seeing that a lot of loads for this powder ... never used it, how’s it meter?

Boolit Master
    405g lee 20-24gn 2400 350g lee 22-26gn 2400 .work fine in my marlin slb .lyman manual has plenty of loads .

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    405g lee 20-24gn 2400 350g lee 22-26gn 2400 .work fine in my marlin slb .lyman manual has plenty of loads .
    Thanks found a few loads in my Lyman manual ... appreciate the reply

Banner Sponsor

That is a sweet looking rifle for sure. I am soo glad that Henry added the loading gate.

On a side note, does anyone know if the GMDR.Load software linked above is still availible?

Ooooo... I really like those.
    Henry finally put a side loading gate AND still has the tube load.
    WWG1WGA

Quote Originally Posted by TjB101 View Post
    Seeing that a lot of loads for this powder ... never used it, how’s it meter?
    Like most stick powders...there is a small amount of error. For just plinking, I throw a charge...for hunting ammo, I weigh EVERY one.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TjB101 View Post
    For those that cast / reload 4570, any recommendations on good, low recoil reloads?
    As a 45-70 reloader, best advice I can give you is shoot light weight bullets. The first mold I bought casts a 405gr bullet - lot of recoil even with light loads. Next mold casts a 345gr bullet - better, but not particularly pleasant. Just got a mold that casts a 300gr bullet, and am very hopeful with this one.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Those Remington factory 405 gr. loads are quite pleasant to shoot. Bet there is a homebrewed recipe out there for those.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by USSR View Post
    As a 45-70 reloader, best advice I can give you is shoot light weight bullets. The first mold I bought casts a 405gr bullet - lot of recoil even with light loads. Next mold casts a 345gr bullet - better, but not particularly pleasant. Just got a mold that casts a 300gr bullet, and am very hopeful with this one.

Don
    Thanks Don ... I will choose my molds wisely ...

Interesting I found a load for Bullseye ... got a 16lb jug of it... may have to give it a try

Boolit Master
    Yeah, 11.0 - 12.0gr loads of Bullseye and other fast powders typically used for loading shotshells (Red Dot, Green Dot, 700X, etc.) with 300 - 350gr bullets is a good place to be.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Don
    I load a fair amount of 45-70 and I load pretty high velocity large(ish) boolits. I found that slower powders in longer barrels are much nicer. I like Varget under a 400 grain boolit at around 1850 fps. It's less of a jolt and more of a push.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post

redhawk
    Read a lot about H4198 and went to local shooting supply store today. Zilch ... no LR primers either ... had to get the BR2 LR (for a premium) ... also got another pound of 2400. I think I’ll try 2400, Unique, and maybe Bullseye to start and will look for 4198 at the next show.

Tell me, do you use the Dacron filler referenced in some of the manuals? If so, do you use it like a shotgun wad or stretch it apart before inserting into the case?

Can’t wait to get the new mold and sourcing some brass.
    Last edited by TjB101; 07-06-2020 at 08:46 PM.

Boolit Buddy

As a 45-70 reloader...
    Hey Don ... question above towards another member regarding Dacron filler for lower volume powder... do you? If so what is your methodology?

Thanks TJ

Boolit Man
    I too started with a 405gr cast boolet for my 45-70. I started playing with the loads on the GMDR site but didn't like the soot on the brass after shooting low velocity loads. There just wasn't enough pressure to seal the brass against the chamber. I had some Trailboss that I was playing with and decided to give it a try. WOW!!! 14 grains shoots like a dream and no sooty brass. I just picked up some NOE 185gr collar button boolets and tried them this last weekend. Again 14 grains of Trailboss and it was flat fun and surprisingly accurate. I was only shooting at 60 yards but it was pure pleasure. The Boolets came unsized so a little of Smokes yellow green powder and sized to 458 made this great for 45-70 fun. I am afraid they were a little too fun because I ordered the mould today!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mvozz View Post
    I too started with a 405gr cast boolet for my 45-70. I started playing with the loads on the GMDR site but didn't like the soot on the brass after shooting low velocity loads. There just wasn't enough pressure to seal the brass against the chamber. I had some Trailboss that I was playing with and decided to give it a try. WOW!!! 14 grains shoots like a dream and no sooty brass. I just picked up some NOE 185gr collar button boolets and tried them this last weekend. Again 14 grains of Trailboss and it was flat fun and surprisingly accurate. I was only shooting at 60 yards but it was pure pleasure. The Boolets came unsized so a little of Smokes yellow green powder and sized to 458 made this great for 45-70 fun. I am afraid they were a little too fun because I ordered the mould today!
    Trailboss ... over the last few days I’ve read a lot of good things about Trailboss and the 4570 but nothing in my manuals. Wondering what the top end is for 340 - 400gr boolits.

Boolit Man
    This is an easy answer. Lay your boolit next to an empty case and put a mark on the case where the base of the boolit is. Fill the case to that line and weigh the charge then multiply by .7, that is the starting charge. You can go up from there but never compress the charge, the pressures become erratic. This is a high pressure low velocity powder designed for cowboy action shooting. I don't do any cowboy action shooting but I do like the Trailboss charges for easy shooting loads. I haven't chronographed the loads yet but I wouldn't hesitate to take a deer with the collar button load! Some people don't like Trailboss but it has become one of my go to powders for shooting cast boolits for enjoyable plinking. If I want to get serious I have plenty of powders for that end of the spectrum but I find that I like shooting more often if I don't have a load that will kill on one end and wound on the other, something my Ruger #1 45-70 is very capable of doing!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast