Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone tried using steel Pachinko balls for shot?

Boolit Mold

Has anyone tried using steel Pachinko balls for shot?

They are steel, probably get 3-4 in a regular 12ga shell.

Thanks!

AStrawn

They'll slow down faster than lead, and probably ding up your barrel.

That used to be a big complaint with steel shot in general.

Save them for a high end sling shot. They do pretty good in them.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 07-03-2020 at 08:20 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banned

I would never shoot anything but lead shot in my shotguns!!!

Boolit Grand Master

"...and probably ding up your barrel."

That would be my worry. That and they are likely hard on wads. You'd want thick wad petals. Is that 3 or 4 in a wad or 3 or 4 to fill the bore? Regular lead shot wads are most likely too thin to protect the barrel. That's why steel shot wads are really thick... to keep steel away from steel.

At 11mm they would also tend to wedge badly I think so like the Tri-Ball load you would likely be best off using a buffer to support the balls. Do a search for Tri-Ball and read James' comments on wedging and buffer. If steel balls wedged badly enough they'd extrude the shotcup petals then be steel on steel (ball to bore) and likely split the barrel.

You might also do a search on ball bearing loads. That comes up regularly too. Not sure if anyone has posted successful load data. I avoid those sorts of loads so no interest here.

Good luck. And if it works please post successful load data. It never hurts to have more data and we all learn something. In fact if it doesn't work please post results. Again, we all learn something and it can save someone else the trouble of testing.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    well do a few and if you live post pic of what is left

Back in the old days when steel shot first came along to replace lead-

People that did a lot of shot-gunnin' talked about it trashing their screw in chokes, and even blowing out a few of them.
    The barrel behind the chokes didn't fare very well either.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I'm not super versed in shotgun tech but my modern 870 is rated for steel shot. Some of the chokes are steel rated and some not. I think all modern guns would be made to take the abuse of firing steel.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I'm not super versed in shotgun tech but my modern 870 is rated for steel shot. Some of the chokes are steel rated and some not. I think all modern guns would be made to take the abuse of firing steel.
    I believe you are correct, but steel shot is actually iron as I understand it and softer than things which are usually made of steel. It's also loaded with special wads.

I don't think I would try this.

Boolit Master
    I don’t know what type balls you are directly referring to, but if they are ball Bering material, they will be harder than Chinese’s arithmetic, 52100 is a very good knife steel! There are special steelshot wads to protect the boar, but if they are buckshot size I would be very concerned about bore damage. Shoot one in a good wad, ok. Put a cluster in a wad and they may gouge some serious furor’s in the barrel as they fight for position. If they are soft, well I shoot lead....
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

I once read that ball bearing shot would disperse more than lead shot due to the "elasticity" of the hardened balls. This was from a book from the fifties, long before anyone would dream of shooting anything but lead.

Once, an old geezer showed me some 16 gauge "slugs" made by replacing the shot load with a large bearing ball, held in place with a wrapping of newspaper.
    He explained he had been given them by another od geezer from Sweden who used them for moose hunting!
    Cap'n Morgan

An interesting sidebar to all this. Careful inspection of many older mild steel barreled shotguns that have shot heavy charges of large sizes of lead shot, especially for waterfowl hunting, have ring bulges at the choke constriction having never even "smelled" a shot shell loaded with steel shot!! Turns out heavy charges of magnum and large lead shot do about the same thing to chokes as modern steel shot does to these older shogun barrels- a mostly cosmetic ring bulge at the choke constriction
    That's certainly true. I, and several of my hunting buddies was using AYA s/s magnum shotguns back in the eighties. These guns had the barrels brazed together in full length (normally only the chamber section is brazed, while the barrels and the ribs are soft soldered) As a result the barrels were noticeable "softer" and all of them developed a slight bulge at the start of the chokes after digesting a number of 1-7/8 ounce #2 loads. (they also quickly developed a loose fit due to the heavy diet fed)
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I own 3 antique Pachinko machines. Those balls are worth FAAAAR more than any silly ammo use you would have. Save them/sell them on ebay - if you have several hundred of them. Especially the ones with the engraved writing on them.

banger

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    I own 3 antique Pachinko machines. Those balls are worth FAAAAR more than any silly ammo use you would have. Save them/sell them on ebay - if you have several hundred of them. Especially the ones with the engraved writing on them.

banger
    Sorry if this is a thread hijack, but what exactly is a Pachinko game? Like some kind of pinball or arcade game?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post

banger
    Great idea, a buddy gave me a few (or at least a couple) hundred in a large container, they have some Chinese figures on them, I'll have to look into that, was thinking of firing them off in my wristrocket, glad I didn't.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Sorry if this is a thread hijack, but what exactly is a Pachinko game? Like some kind of pinball or arcade game?
    Remember....................GOOGLE is ALWAYS your friend to ask questions of!

https://www.google.com/search?source...=1593969146771

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Google is your friend.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Google is your friend who collects your data and sells it :P LOL

I use duckduckgo on anything I don't care to have shared too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    Google is your friend who collects your data and sells it :P LOL

I use duckduckgo on anything I don't care to have shared too far.
    I use Ghosterly to keep down the tracking and eliminate the ads.

Boolit Grand Master

We use Dogpile.com for searches... no trail.. no memory plus Ghostery which shows there are 4 trackers here.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use a VPN, so there is no tracing. I use several different search engines depending on what I am looking for......most people are used to Google.......that's why I mentioned it.

banger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast