MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washer repair help

Boolit Grand Master

Washer repair help

Whirlpool WTW4800XQO
    Got it free
    Guy said it was working, he just had the lock switch replaced.
    When he last ran it, it made a noise, so he stopped it.
    I'm thinking he pulled the plug.
    Ran the check, and got spin fault, rinse fault.
    Rinse fault was hair pins stuck in the pump motor.
    Working now.
    I think the capacitor might be bad. 45uf and I get 27mf reading.
    If my meter is correct.
    Could also be the shift actuator.
    No idea how to test it.
    Nothing is spinning.
    Any suggestions????

Cast Boolits Owner

Yep. Search google. Apparently many manufacturers provide the same “spec” appliance under various names to different provider just like the old days with guns. Some whirlpool/Kenmore/? appliances can provide trouble codes to assist in repair. There are also plenty of appliance forums out there. In the last 2 months I have repaired 2 of my Kenmore appliances one being the side by side refrigerator and the other being my Kenmore dishwasher.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Banned

Washer repair help

Good Lord, when I read the thread title I thought someone was looking for a doctor for their old lady.
    If the washer works except for the spin cycle, that definitely sounds like a control line issue, maybe in the gearbox assembly or, if direct drive, the line voltage to the motor. The capacitor should not be too costly to swap out to eliminate it as a cause for the failure. With Radio Shack OOB, you’re probably limited to online retailers to chase a replacement down. Unless you have an electronics repair shop nearby.
    Remember the days when appliances would last many years and require simple maintenance and repair intervals?
    R/Griff

Banned

Whirlpool forum!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Whirlpool WTW4800XQO
    Got it free
    Guy said it was working, he just had the lock switch replaced.
    When he last ran it, it made a noise, so he stopped it.
    I'm thinking he pulled the plug.
    Ran the check, and got spin fault, rinse fault.
    Rinse fault was hair pins stuck in the pump motor.
    Working now.
    I think the capacitor might be bad. 45uf and I get 27mf reading.
    If my meter is correct.
    Could also be the shift actuator.
    No idea how to test it.
    Nothing is spinning.
    Any suggestions????
    appliancepartspros.com they have parts lists, and troubleshooting help and parts installation videos. I don't buy all my parts from them, because you can often get them MUCH cheaper from Amazon or Ebay, but I do buy some. Quick shipping, and I think it's good to keep them in business. Click the Get Repair Help tab to figure out the problem, then the Shop for Parts tab to get parts lists, part numbers, and their prices.

I used to do appliance repair, back when I was a teen. And again recently for an large industrial laundry.

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    Is the lid closed? I know that sounds stupid, but I knew a guy that worked on one for 2 days because it wouldn’t spin after he repaired another problem. His wife closed the lid and it took right off. He got reminded of that often.
    The enemy of good is better.

Boolit Master

another star for appliancepartspros. I also use my search bar and look for an appropriate youtube, because I am a visual person and if I can see it done, it is a great help to me.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Grand Master
    I hate these lid locks. Just don't see the point of it.
    I've looked at some of the sites.
    appliance parts pros, a few of the whirlpool forums
    Got some ideas, but none tell how to bench test each component.
    I checked on the price of the cap here and they want $55 for it.
    Never paid that much for a cap.
    Must be made of gold, or it's a big seller.
    I'll keep on looking.

Boolit Master
    I think they charge by the microfarad. LOL

Boolit Master
    Grainier or Johnstone supply should have the capacitor.

Lid lock switch is 1. To keep them from getting sued, and 2. To keep someone from getting hurt, l’m sure in that order.

Boolit Master
    Used AC compressor run cap should be about the right size. Please bleed that rascal if it doesn't have a drain resistor.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've been hunting around the house to see if I had anything close.
    So far nothing.
    Went on line to see how to test it.
    My Craftsman tester has a CAP setting, so I'm assuming it's for testing capacitors.
    Marked 45uf and I get 27mf.
    Seems bad to me.
    I also did the spooky discharge test.
    Big snap.
    Trying to trace the wires for the shift acuator to see if I can test that.
    Going to ohm check the motor, then jump the motor to see if it spins.
    This is kind of fun.
    I'd start replacing parts, but have no idea if the main board is not the problem.
    We picked up another washer today. Used of course.
    So this one is just for fun.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by edler7 View Post
    Is the lid closed? I know that sounds stupid, but I knew a guy that worked on one for 2 days because it wouldn’t spin after he repaired another problem. His wife closed the lid and it took right off. He got reminded of that often.
    REM NDS me of pulling the rope on my rototiller and working on it for an hour cursing it the whole time then realized I hadn't turned the switch to "on"
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

I've used the appliance repair site referenced above to fix a refrigerator and gas stove before. Amazing resource.

I used to work in the Maytag factory in Iowa and built the washer that my wife claimed in the divorce a few years ago. I worked there from `93 to `95. I loved that machine and when it had an issue after ten years, was able to diagnose and fix it easily. Now I have an Amana that does not impress me.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Whirlpool did use a jam clutch in the agravator that goes out easily. 1st on that went out they replaced, 2nd machine got replaced with the exploding China one. They are all crap anymore.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I have a Maytag washer/dryer set that was given to me for free.It is about 25/30 years old.Last year was the first time in it`s service life any repairs had to be done on either.The dryer door safety switch died.$ 28.00 for a new switch.Pretty good reliability if you ask me.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    I hate these lid locks. Just don't see the point of it.
    I've looked at some of the sites.
    appliance parts pros, a few of the whirlpool forums
    Got some ideas, but none tell how to bench test each component.
    I checked on the price of the cap here and they want $55 for it.
    Never paid that much for a cap.
    Must be made of gold, or it's a big seller.
    I'll keep on looking.
    Check ebay. Lots of parts there from China, which is where most of this stuff comes from these days. Usually a great deal cheaper than Appliance Parts Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Whirlpool did use a jam clutch in the agravator that goes out easily. 1st on that went out they replaced, 2nd machine got replaced with the exploding China one. They are all crap anymore.
    Must have an "agravator" just to agitate you!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I've used the appliance repair site referenced above to fix a refrigerator and gas stove before. Amazing resource.

I used to work in the Maytag factory in Iowa and built the washer that my wife claimed in the divorce a few years ago. I worked there from `93 to `95. I loved that machine and when it had an issue after ten years, was able to diagnose and fix it easily. Now I have an Amana that does not impress me.
    I'm not impressed with any of the new appliances. Paid a grand for a Whirlpool Cambrio some years back. Had problems with it a couple of years later, and laid it on it's side to work on it. The high speed DC motor is built into the tub. Injection-molded plastic, and cracked all to heck. Junked it, bought the cheapest thing the base exchange had. Amana, and I'm not impressed by it, but so far (3 or 4 years) it's still working. I've had to pull the hose off the pump and clean out junk a couple of time, but so far, so good. I've been getting my dryers off craigslist for a decade now. Fix them when I can get parts, when the parts get over about $50, junk it and get another for that price. Most recent is a Kenmore, and I've had to replace the bearings the drum rolls on and the door switch. Bypassed that while waiting for the new one. One of the door hinges has broken the hinge rivet, been living with that, for a year or so now. Too much else to deal with. PITA, but not a show stopper. One of these days I'll probably make a new rivet for it.

One thing, all the US brands seem to use the same parts. My FIL used to work for Whirlpool as an engineer. Which is also Kenmore. When you're looking at a part, look at all the models it fits on. Odds are good it will be models for more than one manufacturer. And they'll often be Whirlpool Factory Specified Parts.

Boolit Master
    You got to discharge the capacitor before you test.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast