WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Washer repair help

Boolit Grand Master
    Yep.
    Always discharge capacitor before touching it.
    We used to charge up auto capacitors, throw then to someone, when they catch it, had to run away fast.
    Lots of fun.

Played with it some today.
    Motor is good. I still thing the capacitor might be good.
    Reading is off, but should be enough to turn the motor.
    I put everything back together.
    Getting faster at it every time.
    Not the lid lock light is flashing
    Took it apart and it seemed good.
    Found it for cheap on evilbay, so I ordered one.
    Seems if the lock is bad, nothing else will work.
    I miss the days of the direct drive, no computer, simple washers.
    Last washer the dies, we had for over 25 years.
    Part no longer available, and couldn't find one on evil bay.
    Forced to buy a now washer.

Boolit Master
    Speed Queen.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    I'm not impressed with any of the new appliances. Paid a grand for a Whirlpool Cambrio some years back. Had problems with it a couple of years later, and laid it on it's side to work on it. The high speed DC motor is built into the tub. Injection-molded plastic, and cracked all to heck. Junked it, bought the cheapest thing the base exchange had. Amana, and I'm not impressed by it, but so far (3 or 4 years) it's still working. I've had to pull the hose off the pump and clean out junk a couple of time, but so far, so good. I've been getting my dryers off craigslist for a decade now. Fix them when I can get parts, when the parts get over about $50, junk it and get another for that price. Most recent is a Kenmore, and I've had to replace the bearings the drum rolls on and the door switch. Bypassed that while waiting for the new one. One of the door hinges has broken the hinge rivet, been living with that, for a year or so now. Too much else to deal with. PITA, but not a show stopper. One of these days I'll probably make a new rivet for it.

One thing, all the US brands seem to use the same parts. My FIL used to work for Whirlpool as an engineer. Which is also Kenmore. When you're looking at a part, look at all the models it fits on. Odds are good it will be models for more than one manufacturer. And they'll often be Whirlpool Factory Specified Parts.
    I'm with you on that. Next washer I buy, I will look around for a 30-40 year old one, built like a tank with all mechanical timers and such.

The first set we had when we got married finally wore out a few years ago and we replaced it with a new one, water saving, quiet (it is quiet, almost too quiet when it was new) yada, yada. Wife demanded a front loader, which is the absolute stupidest feature for a washing machine to have. About a year ago, something happenned to it which would allow it to fill up with water even when sitting idle, then you'd forget and open it and have three gallons of water rush out. Something that was supposed to be telling it when to open and close valves was obviously bad. Called the appliance repair guy in town who is a great guy, but told me up front he was swamped and it would be a long time before he could get to it, so I talked to him about what it was doing, he told me what component it probably was and said it was an easy fix if I could get one and to expect that kind of thing with new ones. Anyway, got the model#, serial # etc., off of it, started searching and bought a new component off Amazone for $35 or so. Took longer to move the machine from the wall and remove the panel on it than it did to change out that part, works like a champ now.

I seem to be able to fix anything, but I can't trouble shoot or diagnose to save my life.

Boolit Grand Master
    When my washer broke down, I went all over looking for one that did NOT have a computer.
    Nothing.
    Even craigs list didn't have one.
    Emergency. Had to get one fast.
    So ended up with a fancy, bells and whistles one.
    But they did deleiver it fast.
    Other than less noise, I don't see any difference from the old one.

Boolit Master
    Just don’t by a washer that starts with S and ends with G. They make good tv and maybe phones but not washers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hossfly View Post
    Just don’t by a washer that starts with S and ends with G. They make good tv and maybe phones but not washers.
    I keep teasing my wife that we need the Samsung Refrigerator. It has a 25" touchscreen computer built into the front door. $3k or something like that. If we did get it, I'd have to put it in the bathroom in front of the toilet. Try not to picture this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    When my washer broke down, I went all over looking for one that did NOT have a computer.
    Nothing.
    Even craigs list didn't have one.
    Emergency. Had to get one fast.
    So ended up with a fancy, bells and whistles one.
    But they did deleiver it fast.
    Other than less noise, I don't see any difference from the old one.
    This one is quiet. Also seems to weigh twice what a normal washer used to. It's some kind of eco-friendly water conserving design too, so a load takes forever it seems.I may need to start watching Craigslist for an old oneto buy just as a hedge against the future.

When our fancy washer quit I gave it away and bought a old, used Kenmore for $120.00. About 3-4 months ago it stopped working, I worried, prayed, and fooled with it for days. No good results. One night about 2:30 am I was awakened from a dream about repairing it. Turned on the computer and did a search about the problem. The FIRST video that popped up had the answer. I give credit to God for pointing me in the right direction. The lid safety switch that prevents the machine from spinning with the lid up was busted. The video had directions for removing the switch and a simple repair without moving the machine. I unplugged the machine, followed the directions, and sure enough it was busted. I put it back together with a zip tie and it has worked ever since that day. They get broken when the lid is dropped instead of being closed properly. My wife later admitted she had dropped it, I probably did also.

The switch is located under the rim where the clothes are loaded with a pointer on the lid that operates it.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Boolit Master
    Many areas have a used appliance place that will sell new or used parts and some will also help you diagnose the problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12