MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: S&W mod 29-2 hammer bushing replacement

Boolit Buddy

S&W mod 29-2 hammer bushing replacement

I have a S&W model 29 that a purchased around 1981 new that is in need of a new hammer bushing. It is totally concave from many, many full power factory and reloaded rounds through it. This revolver is a beast. many claim that the ruger pistols are stronger. I have my doubts on that claim. the gun is in good shape. It isn't as tight as new but is in perfect working order except for the hammer bushing. it is concave. It should be flat or slightly convex. It wont let the cylinder revolve because the primers always have a place to back out preventing the cylinder to turn.

Anyway, has anyone here replaced one of these pesci little things? If so, How did you do it?

thanks

Banned
    The S&W Firing Pin Bushing is pressed and staked into the recoil shield.
    The bushing can be replaced with a special set of punches but it would be far simpler to return the gun to S&W.

The new bushing is driven into the recoil shield with a special punch inserted through the barrel.

Boolit Master
    Send it to Smith and Wesson for replacement and a good check over.

Boolit Grand Master
    S&W had a kit at one time that they came up with for the early L-frames. It consisted of a couple of punches and IIRC a block to hold the frame. You knocked the old one forward and out of the frame (after disassembly), then positioned the new one carefully in the resulting hole and drove it in with a 12 inch long punch that reached through the barrel. I don't remember if they had a separate staking tool or not, but they did have a letter "m" stamp that the armorer used mark the yoke. One of the OC Sheriffs armorers had a kit and showed demonstrated it. I don't know if you could buy the tools anymore, I suspect a trip to the factory is in order.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I had the same situation as you with my 25-5. This is a S&W factory repair. It's been a couple of years, but I believe it took them about 6 - 8 weeks. They did a great job and threw in a free trigger job.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Your 29-2 is an older gun and would benefit from a factory rebuild if you want it to last.

As FYI here is a listing of the Model 29 engineering changes:

Engineering change numbers of the S&W Model 29:

29-1 introduced 1960, thread pitch of the ejector rod reversed to left hand pitch to help keep the ejector rod from backing out during use and binding the cylinder.

29-2 introduced 1961, cylinder stop spring screw in front of the trigger guard was eliminated.

29-3 introduced 1982, eliminated recessed cylinders and pinned barrels, in changing to crush-fit barrels, creating the “new” problem of “thread choke” being introduced which occurred if barrels were excessively tightened in factory assembly.

29-3E – introduced 1987 hardened the yoke and lengthened the bearing pads on the cylinder yoke tube. Thus began what S&W Marketing called the Endurance Package, increasing the width and depth of cylinder locking bolt notches and enlarging the cylinder stop and beefing up springs to address “cylinder backspin” and other durability issues associated with extensive use of heavy loads, brought upon mostly by the excesses of silhouette gamers.

29-4 introduced 1988 contained all the above features plus a new style yoke retention screw and radiused stud package.

29-5 introduced 1990 completed the last of endurance package upgrades/enhancements, including all of the above, plus longer cylinder stop notches, slightly longer cylinder stop, and internal bolt block intended to eliminate the annoying “trigger kickback” sensation which the silhouette gamers complained about.

29-6 introduced 1994 traditional wooden grips replaced by Hogue rubber monogrip.

29-7 introduced 1998 implemented Metal Injection Molded (MIM) lockwork and changed firing pin attachment.

29-8 introduced 2001 implemented the new frame design having the internal lock, aka “The Hillary Hole.”

There may be later changes since then which I am not aware of.

If anybody has further info please post it. 
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by USSR View Post
    I had the same situation as you with my 25-5. This is a S&W factory repair. It's been a couple of years, but I believe it took them about 6 - 8 weeks. They did a great job and threw in a free trigger job.

Don
    How much did they charge to fix the 29? I guess i'm a bit nervous about shipping. even if it is insured. they could never really replace my big baby

Boolit Master
    25-5 in .45 Colt, not a 29. Seems to me it was just a little over $100.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the information Outpost .
    Mine is a 29-2 that I shot loose I shimmed the cylinder and it functions good now but I probably should send it back to smith for a proper repair .