Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Thank You

Thank You

I was reading something earlier and one of the members mentioned being around 70yrs old. I got to thinking about that, while firing up the pit to grill some steaks. I would like to thank the older folks on here, who have passed down the craft to the next generation. This would be a lost art otherwise, and contained in the years of experience represented here is an invaluable amount of information, tips, tricks, and experience.

So...thank you guys for passing down the knowledge to my generation (late 30’s), and equipping us to pass it down to the next generation after us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I serve Jesus exclusively...do you?

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

I finally obtained a feedback post!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...80#post4182480

Boolit Master

I am an old guy that has been casting for over 50 years.
    I hope the knowledge I have passed on has helped some.
    I have learned a lot from this site and and am still learning...dale

Cast Boolits Owner

Dale, You and a bunch more have helped make this place what it is.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

WOW! 70 is old? That's news to me.
    I'll be 72 in 2 weeks, and still self-employed after almost 40 years.
    I consider myself semi-retired....but that just means I only work about 45 hours a week now.
    I am healthy, strong and still in decent shape.
    I have been casting and reloading for 40+ years and still learning.
    I am still collecting guns, shooting, and living in rural New Hampshire.
    It doesn't get any better than this.
    OLD? No way!
    Willing to share my knowledge? You bet I am!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    I reloaded my first shotgun shell in ‘72 at age sixteen, Dad had a friend who cast boolits, so the transition to casting and reloading cast was inevitable!! I have learned so much from the people on this forum, I knew nothing, come to find out! I will be grateful forever to the older gentlemen on this great forum. You guys have my deepest respect. Just my .02.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master

I was mentored and am a mentor in casting and reloading. It is a personal CHOICE. Some do. Some don't (I have met a quite few). Some won't (I have met too many).

Throughout my engineering career, I saw it as fundamental to pass along my experience and lessons learned, both long hand and short cuts, to my interns and younger proteges for our professional, our Corporate, and our client's mutual benefit. Steering us (and them) always into safe and calm waters is good business.

I understood, as did they agree, that my independent experience, gleaned from a measurably different but relevant track, was deep and in some regards significantly more thorough than that which they were going to receive in their Federal and Private Aerospace careers. As their Professional Engineer and Discipline Lead, it was my responsibility to instill in them everything I knew about the profession, even though it was not immediately relevant, being a Good Example, and also point out in particular, everything I did not know. I always told them, as I was taught, to "know what you know" and not attempt to "sell" something you don't - but can find out!

And so it goes in this hobby too. No secrets. Full disclosure. Complete transparency. Freely given as it was received. Glad that I can continue to contribute. I freely admit the shelves of books, dossiers, and folder containing information that I do not know stretch to infinity. I am glad to continue to learn from each of you as well.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Banned

I'm 62 and I've been casting for 50 years.........I'm getting older but I'm not old yet!

Boolit Master
    I am 70 and still cast and shoot matches, I try to pass on my knowledge and experience help younger shooter's at least to the ones who will listen.

Boolit Grand Master

Tinhorn, Thank you for being receptive and interested enough to learn about this hobby.

I just hope that the "Old Guys" that mentored me would feel like I was doing my part to pass on the knowledge that they passed on to me.

Quote Originally Posted by tinhorn97062 View Post
    I was reading something earlier and one of the members mentioned being around 70yrs old. I got to thinking about that, while firing up the pit to grill some steaks. I would like to thank the older folks on here, who have passed down the craft to the next generation. This would be a lost art otherwise, and contained in the years of experience represented here is an invaluable amount of information, tips, tricks, and experience.

So...thank you guys for passing down the knowledge to my generation (late 30’s), and equipping us to pass it down to the next generation after us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You are more than welcome.

A lot of us started long before there were computers (1963 for me), and we learned the old fashioned way. I didn't know anyone who reloaded, so I read everything I could find on the subject and used the old tried and true method of trial and error. I've made my share of errors along the way, and I try to prevent others from making some of those same errors. When I bought my first 9x19 pistol, there was no 9x19 brass available in my area at all, and the local gunshops, of which there were several, all told me it was a European caliber, and they couldn't even order the ammunition or brass. I ended up turning down .38 Special brass by chucking it in my drill press and using a file to form the rims and extractor grooves, based on a loaded round a neighbor had brought back from World War II. It only took me about a week of working at it after work to end up with 50 cases, and then I had to load them using .38 Spl. dies, and .38 Spl. bullets. I also had to work up my own data from scratch, but it worked. I ended up selling the gun, simply because loading for it was such a pain.

Fast forward to today, and I don't even keep 9x19 brass when I buy the brass from our range, since it's so plentiful. It all goes to recycling. I currently load for 32 calibers, and have surpassed 850,000 rounds loaded. I'll be 76 years old next month, and my goal is to hit 1,000,000 rounds loaded before I give up loading and shooting.

I try to keep people from making mistakes, and to impart some of the knowledge I've acquired over the last 57 years of reloading. I'm also still learning, too.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    WOW! 70 is old? That's news to me.
    I'll be 72 in 2 weeks, and still self-employed after almost 40 years.
    I consider myself semi-retired....but that just means I only work about 45 hours a week now.
    I am healthy, strong and still in decent shape.
    I have been casting and reloading for 40+ years and still learning.
    I am still collecting guns, shooting, and living in rural New Hampshire.
    It doesn't get any better than this.
    OLD? No way!
    Willing to share my knowledge? You bet I am!
    I have a sneak'n suspicion that 70 is more like the median age of the regulars here
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    I am an old guy that has been casting for over 50 years.
    I hope the knowledge I have passed on has helped some.
    I have learned a lot from this site and and am still learning...dale
    Same here and still learning something just about every time I open this forum.Thanks for noticing that many years of experience are here to help��☺
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I have a sneak'n suspicion that 70 is more like the median age of the regulars here
    You might be more correct than you think!
    It is an honor to pass on the things I have learned.
    My son can't wait for me to croak so he can have my guns, all my reloading equipment, my lead stash, and my collection of Hensley & Gibbs moulds.
    Just kidding....I think.
    Last edited by FISH4BUGS; 07-03-2020 at 08:03 PM.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    An old bullseye shooter taught me to use oil soaked sawdust to flux. He made his from oil change clean ups. There was a crowd of folks that shot silhouette before I got into it. They all used to smelt and cast together. The casting, reloading, and shooting abilities were tremendous. They were glad to share and I feel the need to do the same. I help and learn most mornings at breakfast in the small grill in town. Fun stuff.

Boolit Grand Master

I did a whole lot of stabbing in the dark until I got to this site. Now I've spent a lot of money on molds, lead, odd caliber firearms and don't regret a minute of it
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum