RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lee APP First Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by 44magLeo View Post
    I have found that most of my feeding issues are adjustment related. As the instructions tell you if the cases feed early or late you need to adjust where the tube holder sets in comparison to the feeder. Once you get it right the cases fall straight down.
    Leo
    1. Of course adjustment is important, that's the first important step, but it doesn't fix all the issues with all the calibers. Sharing which calibers you were perfectly successful with, just adjusting the drop just right would be helpful to all. Tilting into the revised "plowed" .40 S&W shellholder was a problem for instance...long after a successful "straight drop of the case".

2. Onelight says he "gets by" with the .45 colt shell holder for all of them? The .45 colt has a big rim, its a big bullet. How would one "center a small rimless case in that so the decapper doesn't hit an edge on the way down?

3. Yet for me it is most annoying to change calibers, since you have to undo that long bolt, and readjust everything every time. A mod there is worth the trouble....and makes the press 10 times more fun to use......
    Last edited by GWS; 07-04-2020 at 08:59 AM.

Boolit Master
    I don't know it mine is unique in the way it positions the case for decapping , but one of the issues you have mentioned and I have seen is the shell holder has to be positioned nearly perfect or the case will not load into it.
    The over size shell holder they don't even touch so that interference is eliminated for uncrimped handgun cases.
    It does not work perfectly but close , give it a try I hope you will be surprised How well it works. If I am not decapping a large batch I leave the large shell holder in place and just set up the case feeder for the cases being decapped.

Hah! and I don't have a .45 Colt anymore to load....it was stolen many years ago before I bought a gun safe! But I may buy that shellholder to see what all your noise is about! Curiouser and curiouser!

The following picture is proof that you can deprime a crapload of .223 in 30 minutes without one flying missile or failure using the down tube and dremel tool bevel removal. The little APP should be renamed the "Bottleneck Remover". Love it! That was military crimped primers too on LC brass. Went to the wet tumbler then the APP swaged it all. Did I say I love the APP??!!

Boolit Master

I have one too.

Havent removed it from its box.

I bought for bullet sizing. Im waiting till I finish a bench.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    When it works it’s a lot faster. It’s the stops that obviously cause the problems. I like the 600 and enjoy flinging the cases for distance into a bin. Once setup it swages the pockets perfectly. But so does the kit for the APP. And setup was quicker and easier w/ the APP.

A 650 is the best option for case processing. One pass and the case processing is complete and ready to to be loaded. But you have to pay quite a bit. I thought about getting a case feeder for my 550 and an aftermarket swager. But the press is not designed to swage cases. And the cost of those parts was more than the APP.

For me the APP is worth it for depriming alone. But only for bulk processing. Normally I deprime on press at time of loading. So once initially processed I wouldn’t be using the APP anymore. But I can say the same thing for the 600. So I’m not unhappy w/ my purchase.

I have a large batch of RP cases that are sorted. Along w/ a couple thousand more unsorted LC cases. I’m not giving up yet. And I still haven’t tried 7.62 cases. There are thousands of them to process as well. If it works well for bulge busting and body sizing 357 Sig cases it’s just icing on the cake. Already have a Star so it will never be used for bullet sizing.
    For a bit more money, I plan on getting a 5.56 conversion for the 1050 and do my 5.56 primer swaging on that. I KNOW the Dillon will work flawlessly and I shoot a lot more 5.56. I will retain the Dillon 600 for .308 Military brass swaging. At this time most of my 5.56 is shot out of bolt guns and quantities were too low to justify loading on one of the progressives. That may change and then I will have the 5.56 conversion for the 1050. My plan was to use the 550 for loading 5.56 for the AR's but will now do it on the 1050.

I have never had the need to process pistol brass before loading it (defeats the advantages of a progressive in my opinion) and I have a Star for sizing so the APP does seem to be worth the space on the bench for my needs. Plus I HATE fiddling around to get a machine to work. For many others it is a good option, just not for me. That is why I appreciated your unbiased product review. Too many people either try to justify what they bought, do not know there is another/better way, or cannot afford better equipment. That is not meant as an insult to everyone who loves what they use but I have found it is not an uncommon issue.

BTW, your comments on tube feeding are spot on. They look impressive in a video until you need to refill the damn things.

Again, good job. You helped me to a better path.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I also set mine up for 223 after reading this thread out of curiosity I did shoot two while getting the case feeder adjusted then proceeded to decap 120 crimped primer cases with no stops except for the 2 I dropped in the tube upside down. I was using the 223 shell holder for them.
    If I had a Dillon and didn't mind spending the money I would go Dillon no doubt it is better equipment .
    But when I saw I could get the app and additional parts to do all the calibers + sizing bullets for about $150 total it becomes a "why not" it does an amazing job for a 75.00 press with a 20.00:case feeder. And it works amazingly well . This thing costs less than a lot of die sets. Is it perfect ? Nope , but it is worth way more than it cost even if used only to decap handgun cases before cleaning , which I bought it for.
    Last edited by onelight; 07-04-2020 at 11:03 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

One of the main reasons I have not bought a 650 or 1050 is space. The bench in my garage is multi use. And the one in my basement is small. I don’t have the space to leave one of the Dillons setup permanently. If I did I would gladly buy a set of one of them to avoid primer size swaps. The APP is small but even then I had trouble finding space for it in a cabinet. It appears I’m at max capacity.

I did not think the APP would run like a Dillon. I was hoping it ran like the LCT in that you set it up like the instructions say and it just runs and runs and runs. I realize that it’s a simpler press but that was my hope. I will be home a few days next week. Will run some 7.62 through it. And will try to body size some 357 Sig. Pretty sure I’ve processed all that I have but it won’t hurt to run them through for testing.

Boolit Master
    ... here’s a video of it swaging cases w/ no issues.
    I watched the video but don't understand what you're calling "swaging cases"; do you mean FL sizing or swaging crimped primer pockets or something else. ??

Boolit Master
    Look forward to hearing how it goes for you.
    The only rifle cases I have processed on mine were the 223 I mentioned above so interested to hear how these go and any tips you may find for setup.
    I have also not sized on mine I load on a LCT and a ABLP so size and prime on them for handgun.

Boolit Grand Master
    One of the main reasons I have not bought a 650 or 1050 is space. The bench in my garage is multi use. And the one in my basement is small. I don’t have the space to leave one of the Dillons setup permanently. If I did I would gladly buy a set of one of them to avoid primer size swaps. The APP is small but even then I had trouble finding space for it in a cabinet. It appears I’m at max capacity.

I did not think the APP would run like a Dillon. I was hoping it ran like the LCT in that you set it up like the instructions say and it just runs and runs and runs. I realize that it’s a simpler press but that was my hope. I will be home a few days next week. Will run some 7.62 through it. And will try to body size some 357 Sig. Pretty sure I’ve processed all that I have but it won’t hurt to run them through for testing.
    I am in the process of downsizing. Recently sold one of the 1050's and one of the 550's. My reloading area will be reduced to 1/3 of the space I had. One thing to consider is quick change options. Some interesting stuff on YouTube. Neither the 1050 or 550 take up a lot of room but I will be permanently mounting the 1050 for sure as I use it the most. All the other "stuff" takes up a lot of room if permanently fixed....Star, two Lyman sizers, Co-Ax, Rock Chucker, Diilon 600, RCBS Bench primer, RCBS powered trimmer.

It is getting too expensive to keep the shop in the detached garage heated (Michigan winters can be brutal) so I am moving everything except the shotshell reloaders to the basement. Nothing light about reloading shotshells (or their output) so I plan to keep those reloaders well lubed and in the garage.

Anyway, have a look at quick change options and see if they might help you out.
    Don Verna

Quick Change options:

Yeah I have that problem too. The best option for me was to share the bench space my RCBS APS bench primer was sitting on. So I ordered Lee's quick change mounts:

Picture below shows the on the large side Lee base plate after drilling through the bench (the plate was wider than I expected):

Next, the APP mounted to it (holes of course match) APP here is set up for debulging .40S&W....made a bigger bottle for finished brass. Believe it or not the upside-down fed .40 was smoother going than the base down. Redding GrX die is mounted on the bottom. This use was problem free....went like greased lightning! The reason I bought the Redding GrX five years ago was that I cleaned up after a local police meet at the range......they used early Glocks, and while not damaged much, they left enough bulge as to make it necessary to smooth the brass near the base to feed well in my .40's.

Mounting the RCBS bench priming machin was harder.......had to use a steel tubing standoff to make it work.....but it did......next two pictures:

Storing the switched out tool wasn't too bad:

Next, The Inline Fabrication option:
    Yesterday, I ordered the Inline Fabrication Quick Change flush base and two top plates, one for the APP and one for the RCBS bench primer. I want to see for myself what difference it makes in flex or lack of flex, footprint, change speed, and storage of the stored tool........who knows.....I may get a Summit top plate too, if I like it. I'll report my findings next week.
    Last edited by GWS; 07-04-2020 at 01:34 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    I watched the video but don't understand what you're calling "swaging cases"; do you mean FL sizing or swaging crimped primer pockets or something else. ??
    Primer pockets. I say it multiple times in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Anyway, have a look at quick change options and see if they might help you out.
    Almost everything is mounted on Inline Fabrication quick change plates. This is really convenient when moving presses between benches. But w/ the plates mounted the presses take up more space. When I was using a single bench I had one plate w/ multiple holes drilled it that was attached the bench top. I would simply mount whatever I was using and put it away at the end.

The bench in the basement has a 550 sitting on it. Nowhere to store it so it just gets moved to the side if I’m using something else and remounted when I’m done. The garage bench has a vice mounted to it unless I’m reloading. It gets used more than of my presses.

Having to much stuff can be a problem. I have plenty of storage space. But I already fight rust w/ everything in the garage. If I put it in the loft above it will rust faster. And I’m not keen on keeping anything of value in the basement. This becomes a swimming pool if there is a fire. W/ young kids their stuff takes up the rest of the house.

I’ve been saving for a deposit on a new house w/ some land. I’m not happy w/ how our Governor has handled the current situation so a move to a state like Arkansas is looking better every day. I just need to be w/in two hours of an airport, that’s not really expensive to fly out of, for my job. I can get a lot more for my money if I move pretty much anywhere else.

I lived in Arkansas for a year......11 months too long.......fire ants and chiggers will keep you out of the woods.

I live in the four corners...Arizona, NM, Utah, Colorado. Ariz. and Utah are conservative, Colo and NM, not so much......but then there's conservative Texas. Austin is Liberal, but its suburbs are not. I like their suburbs. My son lives in that area and loves it. (Move there from North of Denver.)

Durango Colo has an airport to the world.....but Colo's gov. is no better than yours. Durango is expensive tho. Farmington NM south across the border, relatively inexpensive, and still within range of that Airport and the Colo Mountains both 1 hour away, is strongly conservative in a liberal state. In the four corners the best feature is the trout rivers, Navajo Dam, the mountains and the hunting, and the weather. Texas not so much ...... a big state where the speed limits are 80 for a reason.....to get somewhere eventually. Oh, and I like the Sedona Arizona area. Utah......oh boy....used to be great, but getting expensive. Lots of people where there used to be lots of room. But the St. George has a great climate. Good luck in your search.........
    Last edited by GWS; 07-04-2020 at 02:38 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Wherever I move it has to be green. I’ve spent a lot of time in the Phoenix area. It’s an oven for 3-4 months of the year. The others are great but don’t make suffering through the others worth it.

I really like the Albuquerque area of New Mexico. The east side of Sandia Crest is green. And since you’re about a mile up the summers aren’t as oppressive. But the state’s government is a no go for me. I can say the same thing for Oregon. It’s beautiful there but it’s a lost cause. And to much rain.

There’s a lot to consider w/ a move. The school system is very high on my list because of my young kids. It’s years away at the earliest so I have plenty of time. Who knows, leaving the country may become the best option. But this is the wrong forum for that discussion.

Here’s a pic of the bench in my garage.

Boolit Bub
    I have one. I got sucked in with the hype.
    My impression is it is a frail little machine.
    I have relegated it to cast bullet sizing. it excels at this.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukeconnor View Post
    My first impression was man this thing is tiny ! And it is I don't believe it is intended to replace a heavy press ,
    But to size bullets and deprime cases and remove primer crimps . People are using it for all of these and more , most are finding it a very useful addition to the loading process .
    I am curious as to what the hype is . What did you expect for 75.00

Richard Lee preached for years that presses are overbuilt. And his designs always set about to attempt to prove that. And he's right to a point. With a Lee press one is more careful with it, because it is fragile compared to say a Rock Chucker or a Redding anything. We expect our "overbuilt" presses to last two livetimes....the Lee's well we hope they will last until we are through with them!

The APP is a different animal.....its not a lightweight version of any other press. It's a "auto processing press' meaning case or bullet processing......if you load with it too, as some actually do, it does work......but it's not going to be as pleasant to load with as a heavy press.

That said, the APP is the first single station press to have a case/bullet feeder.......and THAT my friends is what bowled me over. Someday, because of this little beginning, all singles will have case and bullet feeders, mark my words. I aim to start with the RCBS Summit.....

Boolit Master
    How right you are GWS , and as far as know it is also the first press that will accept die or shell holder top or bottom or both . A very innovative tool.

GWS, I did a bit of a mod to my APP so you don't mess with the long bolt. I put it up through the press and built spacers to hold the tube holder at the right height.
    I wrote it all up in one of the APP mod threads so I won't write it all here. Makes changes much quicker.
    Leo

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukeconnor View Post
    That and de-priming is the only reason I bought it. Works marvelously for both.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast