Thread: Dixie Slugs

Boolit Mold

Dixie Slugs

Is this company still in business?

I had heard that Mr Gates had passed.
    Thanks,
    Bob

Banned

No. He was an angry old fart. He used to do all of his posting over at ShotgunWolrd site. Someone over there might know if anyone took up his business.

Boolit Grand Master

I had read somewhere that Dixie was taken over by employees after James passed but not sure if it is true or if they are still in business. An internet search should find them if they are in business.

At one time James posted quite a bit of info on this site including his load data for Tri-Ball loads he sold commercially. Opinionated yes but I wouldn't call him angry. I found him to be quite helpful and exchanged e-mails with him for discussions.

Longbow

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Longbow. I also found him helpful and forthcoming on questions asked of him.
    Their website is still up but no contact or ordering info.

Bob

Boolit Grand Master

What is it you are looking for? Anything specific?

I know James posted the Tri-ball data and reasoning for the components, he also posted a drawing of the Dixie Tusker 600 gr. slug that I really liked and I am sure he must have posted Dixie Terminator data. Late in the game he brought out the IXL-DGS slug. He sent me the drawing of the original Dyno-Ball that I believe the IXL-DGX slug was based on. The Dyno-Ball was 900 grs.!!

One day I may get a mould made for the Tusker. I sent the drawing to Accurate and it is in their catalogue now. At 600 grs. it isn't a bad weight but the Terminator at 730 grs. is a bit much for what I want so the lighter Tuslker appeals to me. I don't have a rifled gun though and the Tusker is for rifled gun. With an attached wad it might be okay in a smoothbore.

Anyway, I am rambling again!

Just curious if you were looking for something specific or just wanting to order from Dixie.

Longbow

Boolit Mold
    Longbow,
    In times past I have used the Dixie TriBall load to good success on deer and hogs. I am currently working with a local wildlife refuge on hog control and considered ordering more of their loads if possible but a quick search of their original website gave me the conclusion that they no longer existed.
    I have Jame’s load data as he posted but will have to order proper wads and additional buffer before I can assemble my own and check results. I am also considering a 2 3/4” two ball load and have been searching/reading threads here on those. A rifle is used for the longer shots but much hunting is in thicker stuff from an ATV or on foot and involves a lot of “jump shooting” at close, fast moving targets with a high capacity smoothbore. Common buckshot is fine for smaller pigs but not my choice when they get to the 200+ pound range!
    Looks like it’s order, load, and test time...........not an unpleasant chore anyway!

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    Bob, if you are looking for commercial two or triball loads ..... there is the Hevi-Shot Hog Wild available on the market.

Banned
    Greetings, James was indeed a friendly person always looking to help shooters with his ideas.
    May God rest his soul in peace !

He will always be remembered for sharing his information on his Specialized loads.
    Please watch out for these are not my loads:

12 ga Triball load
    Lee makes a .600" round ball mold. The wad we use in our
    Tri-Ball II load is the
    TUPRW123 orange wad from Precision Reloading. The only buffer
    we use is the PRPSB22. Blue Dot is a good powder to begin with
    at 28 grs...do not good over 30 grs as you may get blown wads.
    In the 12 ga 3" you will get about 1050'/" from a 20" barrel. We
    use new primed Cheddite 12 ga 3" hulls from Graf & Sons.
    Cast the balls from WW with about 3% tin added. You will need
    to roll crimp the loads to be able to stay at, or under, an OAL of
    2.76" in 3" chambers.
    There are some penetration tests with this load published on
    our web page.
    The above load of 28 grs of Blue Dot, with the above components
    , has been pressure tested and gives right at 10,200 psi....well
    within the specs for 12 ga
    3". Pressure testing done at Ballistic Research for the exact
    load above.
    Regards, James

12 ga Dixie Tusker Spec Sheet
    Some of you have been following our development of slug/bullet for today's rifled shotgun barrels. The attached spec
    sheet is for the Dixie Tusker and is designed to match the 1893 H&H load. The H&H load called for a 600 gr bullet at
    1500'/".
    Most of todays rifled barrels are the same as Hasting's, which is .727" in the grooves and .716" on the lands.
    This rifled barrels turn the lowly smoothbore into a real big bore rifle! They can be quite interesting to shoot and hunt
    with. Many of the same details you know about cast bulllets in general, apply to these big bore loads.
    Regards, James

Let's see what's first! The mold will drop at about 600 grs. depending on the alloy. This is the bullet we put in our Dixie
    Tusker. We push it at 1550'/" from a 20" Hasting rifled barrel. Todd Corder tested it at the Linebaugh Semianar and it
    penetrated as deep as the 416 Rigby..the write up can be seen on the Dixie Forum. We have gotten some good reports
    on large game with this load.
    Now....We are not in the component bullet business as such, but about two times a years we run some for our friends.
    We put a notice on the forum.
    As for loads....
    Blue Dot, X12X overpowder wad,
    .250" Circle Fly nitros and
    3/8" felt/cork. More detail can be given if
    anyone gets a mold cut.
    Anyone that wants a mold cut is welcome to use our spec sheet.
    The .250" notro should be put under the slug/bullet.
    Note the thick skirts that keep the wads from blowing into the hollow. Unlike soft Foster slugs, this one is designed
    not to expand in the skirt area. However, if cast from pure lead, it's great in smoothbore barrels. At 1500='/", it will
    match the 1893 H&H load I mentioned.
    Regards, James

1 in 28" twist. The reason we test in Hastings barrels is because they seem to be the most popular.Ii think all barrels
    are about the same bore and groove.
    The Tusker recoils about like a 3" Turkey load. It's 600 gr weight breaks down to 1.37 oz or 1 3/8 oz,
    However the reloader can reduce the velocity to around 1200'/" and it still serve quite well. We use, and suggest, an
    Alox 350 wash.

The Dixie Tusker is Back!
    Just so you guys know, I sent the Dixie Tusker drawing to Tom at Accurate Molds and asked if he could make a mould.
    He responded by saying it is now in his catalogue as 73-740TN. Of course the HB pin has to be outsourced. For those
    not familiar this is a full bore HB design that weighs 600 grs. hollow based. While hollow based it is intended for rifled
    gun. James posted the drawing on Cast Boolits several years ago

If I get a rifled gun or rifled barrel I will be ordering one for sure. I am also thinking it would be a terrific design for
    scaling down a bit to fit into a plastic shotcup and using the same top and bottom band dimensions as the Lyman 525
    gr. sabot slug.

Here is a link to James' post with the drawing:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ghlight=tusker

Besr regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 07-07-2020 at 02:38 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by faustus View Post
    Bob, if you are looking for commercial two or triball loads ..... there is the Hevi-Shot Hog Wild available on the market.
    They no longer make those. I've got maybe 1-2 boxes of each, and I wish I had bought more when they were available.

As far as James goes, when you contacted him he was incredibly helpful. I took issue with him here because of his opinion about ATF rules on components.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Bub

Dixie slugs

I have some Dixie Slugs (see attached) that I have been looking for some recipes.
    They are all .730 in diameters
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1474.JPG   DSCN1473.JPG   DSCN1475.JPG   DSCN1476.JPG  
    Last edited by mortyg; 07-29-2020 at 05:19 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Ajay:

I sent Tom the same drawing about 2 years ago and he put it in his catalogue with slight changed to the "lube" groove but otherwise pretty faithful.

I had been planning to buy a rifled gun but still don't have one! Should I get one I will order the Tusker mould right away!

Yes, James was very helpful and shared a lot of knowledge. I am sure he is missed by many.

Longbow

Banned
    My friend Longbow, we all are getting tired of you as you take soooo long to enter in to the wonderful world of High Power Rifled Nitro Express.
    Please do it soon or else we will start a donation to buy you one !
    Don't think just do it.

James was indeed a Gentleman and so is my Big Brother Ed, even tho he comes from " Hell "
    He smacked a lot of guys with his heavy loads, they saw stars in the daytime !
    I still love him for being my friend.

Best regards,
    Ajay K Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    PS: I'm from the Weatherby camp, lighter bullet at higher speed, I use to work for J. P Sauer and Sons in Eckernforde where we made the Weatherby Mark V
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 07-27-2020 at 03:37 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry to be a disappointment Ajay! I have "almost" made the jump to fully rifled gun but still like my smoothbores and really do want to try the rifled choke tube (poor man's Paradox gun) to see if I can make it work.

After the next round of slug testing if I am not happy with my results then things may change! My Mossberg could use a rifled barrel... or I could maybe look at the Mossberg combo package of one gun/three barrels. They aren't horribly expensive even for a retired old guy like me.

We'll see how things go down the line a ways.

Longbow
    Last edited by longbow; 07-28-2020 at 07:21 PM. Reason: spelling

Banned
    Hello Longbow, once you get your rifled barrel we all can't wait to see what all you will come up with. You sure are a smart guy and we need your input as ever !

Best regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots

Quote Originally Posted by mortyg View Post
    I have some Dixie Slugs (see attached) that I have been looking for some receipts.
    They are all .730 in diameters
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I think I have that mold for the slug in the right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    BT do you have any load data for it?

Boolit Master

The little one's gonna hurt. The big one's gonna really hurt.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Banned
    Greetings, Who ever buys that heavy bullet mold should demand extra base pins for much lighter version.
    Strange the Russians are much smarter offering 4 pins, Bravo !
    Can any one please point out how heavy is the 20 ga bullet from that design ?

Thanks.
    Best regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots

Quote Originally Posted by mortyg View Post
    BT do you have any load data for it?
    I can come up with something. I have a Pressure Trace II unit where I pressure test all my loads now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk