Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 25-20 WCF load

Boolit Buddy

25-20 WCF load

Any info out there using Alliant 300 MP for my .25-20?
    Need a safe starting load if it is even possible with this powder.
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    its in the right place on the burn rate list, I'm no expert but I'm thinking 257420 and starting at maybe 6.5-7 grains. I don't, but if you have access to quick load maybe that's a place to look or someone with real expertise will chime in. I have asked Alliant for load data for other calibers and they write back saying they have none or will send request off to engineering Dept for possible evaluation. we need to keep asking Alliant for more 300mp data and get them off their duffs. you might be able to extrapolate from 22 hornet data they provide

Boolit Buddy
    Well, don't know about 300 MP but both of my 25-20's (one very old and one very new) really like 12 grains of 1680 under that slug mentioned above.

Chris

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=Chris S;4935022]Well, don't know about 300 MP but both of my 25

I will have to second that, I have a Marlin CL and an mgm barrel on my contender. both really like the 257-420 bullet with 12.5 of 1680 with a rem 6 1/2 primer.
    Barry

I use 7.5gn of Win 296 behind an 80gn cast boolit, very mild and very accurate.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad *** Wallace View Post
    I use 7.5gn of Win 296 behind an 80gn cast boolit, very mild and very accurate.

Gas check or no?

Boolit Buddy
    For me, yes. I always use gaschecks with my rifle stuff. I once pushed a 2' thread of lead out the end of a 32-20 barrel that I had been shooting non-gas checked bullets out of. Certainly the lack of a gascheck was not the single problem (sizing, speed and lube were) -but- the use of a gas check will preclude such things from happening.

my $.02

Chris

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
    For me, yes. I always use gaschecks with my rifle stuff. I once pushed a 2' thread of lead out the end of a 32-20 barrel that I had been shooting non-gas checked bullets out of. Certainly the lack of a gascheck was not the single problem (sizing, speed and lube were) -but- the use of a gas check will preclude such things from happening.

my $.02

Chris
    Thank you.

I've got a 1892 in 25-20 that I'm considering reloading for.

Boolit Master
    back to the 300mp situation. either the techs at Alliant are very lazy and not interested in producing new loads data or the powder is not what they were touting when their publicity convinced me to stock up real good on it just before the BIG shortages of 2012-2013. For crying out loud they don't even list load data for 41 magnum with 300mp. It works real well for me in 357 and 44.

Quote Originally Posted by CoRifleman View Post
    Gas check or no?
    No gas check, I chronied these at 1290fps in my vintage Winchester 92.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    back to the 300mp situation. either the techs at Alliant are very lazy and not interested in producing new loads data or the powder is not what they were touting when their publicity convinced me to stock up real good on it just before the BIG shortages of 2012-2013. For crying out loud they don't even list load data for 41 magnum with 300mp. It works real well for me in 357 and 44.
    You may have seen it but Handloader 274 , Oct. 2011 has some 41 mag data in it.

Vendor Sponsor

That is good to know. Do you use a Small Rifle primer with this powder? How hard is the lead? I want to try this too.
    Chill Wills

Vendor Sponsor

That is good to know. Do you use a Small Rifle primer with this powder? How hard is the lead? I want to try this too.
    Chill Wills

Banned

my $.02

Chris
    A gas check will not preclude that by itself. Shoot an undersized, too hard bullet, you'll get leading gas checked or not. Likewise, plain based can work surprisingly well, but you have to know what you're doing.

Boolit Buddy

The 25-20 thread on the Marlin Owners forum provides over 100 pages of loading info for cast and some jacket bullets. The best powders to use are are so discussed with target photos.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Small rifle primers (Magtec cos they are cheep). I keep casting these 80gn (1:25, sized to 0.258") for 4 other friends who don't cast (yet!)

Wills, if you were my neighbour, I'd give you a heap over the fence!

Boolit Buddy
    "A gas check will not preclude that by itself. Shoot an undersized, too hard bullet, you'll get leading gas checked or not. Likewise, plain based can work surprisingly well, but you have to know what you're doing."

Agreed, you rattle a hard, poorly fitting slug down a barrel and bits of it are bound to clip off as it skids along. But a gas check will help to overcome issues arising from a variety of other "imperfections". And it will allow you to run the slug a good bit faster, assuming all else is proper.

Chris

Banned

"A gas check will not preclude that by itself. Shoot an undersized, too hard bullet, you'll get leading gas checked or not. Likewise, plain based can work surprisingly well, but you have to know what you're doing."

Agreed, you rattle a hard, poorly fitting slug down a barrel and bits of it are bound to clip off as it skids along. But a gas check will help to overcome issues arising from a variety of other "imperfections". And it will allow you to run the slug a good bit faster, assuming all else is proper.

Chris
    Not here, so much, but on a couple of other places, it seems there are guys who honestly think that a gas check is some kind of magic wand that cures all ills.

I loaded some plain based .25-20s last night, just looking for a squirrel load for a Savage 23 I got a while back and haven't done much with. Really hoping to avoid the checks if possible and figure if I could do it with the .22 Hornet, .25-20 should be easy.

Boolit Grand Master
    Hold to about 1400 fps and under and plainbase works fine. Suggest 5.5-6 grains 2400 for about that speed or 3 grains W231 for 1100 fps, the latter being all that is needed for small game and quieter.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    Hold to about 1400 fps and under and plainbase works fine. Suggest 5.5-6 grains 2400 for about that speed or 3 grains W231 for 1100 fps, the latter being all that is needed for small game and quieter.
    I used 3.6 grains of 700X. Worked well, shoots about as well as most .22s do at 50 yards, definitely minute of fox squirrel, and 50 yards would be a long shot for me.

This rifle has a very old scope arrangement with a 3/4" tube, probably about a six power, in an external adjustment set up. Seems to work OK and the scope is clear. Not optimum for hunting, I suppose, but I normally sit up on a ridge with shooting sticks and wait for them to come out, so this ought to work fine.

Sure is hot outside, 30 shots or so was all I had the stamina to sit at the bench for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast