Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Out Of Work Again

Boolit Grand Master

Out Of Work Again

Well, I'm unemployed bas of today once again. The job I took after being "downsized" just wasn't making any money. $500-$600 week gross is silly for a full-time truck driver. I gave it 5 months and pulled the plug. When you can make more from unemployment then the job might not be worth it. So, wife and I have all the parts for a complete bathroom rebuild and that is what I'm going to do. Next 2 weeks rip it down leaving nothing but the roof. New footing, heated floor etc then 2 weeks up north for her vacation then look for a job coming August.

It would cost me upwards of $10,000 to hire some to do the work, less than $5,000 for me to take time off and do it myself so financially it's a better move if I quit, rebuild it then find a job.

If you read my thread about being downsized this spring then you will get part of the satisfaction I got this week. New boss took over who has no experience in trucking. Fired the terminal manager, downsized me, then tried to hire people at at a lesser payrate. Of the four, one is out on workers comp and the other 3 quit. Re-negotiated a rate increase with the customer, pulled trailers out they wanted for storage, fired another terminal manager and lost the account to someone else. 1 Aug and a new carrier steps in. Seems like Fate to me as I will find out who they are and apply. Looks kinda like what I was pointing out on that account over the last 5 years was right but no one wanted to listen to a lowly, stupid truck driver with 30 yrs experience. 5 terminal managers in 5 years, 10 new drivers that hired and quit then losing the account over a new boss that is an idiot. But hey, maybe he has a degree in logistics! No, actually a degree in child psychology. Me? Just PLDC in Military, running a platoon of Airborne Troopers, Degree in Wildlife Management, Staff Biologist in an Environmental Consulting Company in charge of a crew of 10 then 30 yrs in a truck over all of the US and Canada. Not much to offer so why listen to me? What do I know about running men or trucking?
    Last edited by jonp; 07-02-2020 at 04:32 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    I worked for a power company that was tied into the Gov., you talk about stupid managers, that outfit would be bankrupt in a month if it was on it's own! Anyhow good luck on your endeavours, I'm sure things will work out and you will have a new house.

I've always been fascinated seeing people (sort of) running companies that otherwise couldn't get a job parking cars.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

How do you get unemployment when you quit?

Boolit Master
    I hope you enjoy your bathroom remodel. I redid one bathroom last February, tub replacement and tiled the surround all the way to the ceiling, new faucet. The master bathroom I redid about 3-4 yrs ago, and that was a complete remodel from the floor joists on up. Tiled walk in shower, new toilet, new vanity, new Grohe faucet,new exhaust fan and lights, tiled floor. Have been told it would have cost $15k to do, only spent about 4k in materials, but it did take me a looong time to complete.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    How do you get unemployment when you quit?
    Won't unless I use the CARE Act. A little sentence in that says you can get money if you "feel unsafe in your work environment". Not planning on taking advantage of that as of yet

Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    but it did take me a looong time to complete.

I did a remodel of our bathroom years ago.
    As I was doing the tile squares in the tub enclosure, my buddy commented that he'd done theirs, and it was a real pain.

A week or two later: Over at his house he said something about tiling around the shower/tub again--
    His wife shouted from the other room, "Yeah,,, and it only took him 2 YEARS to do it"!!
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

NO TILE SQUARES. Been there, done that no t-shirt. Heated waterproof laminate floor, opening up the ceiling to follow the rafters for more height, waterproof sheetrock walls with a texture covering

Going to do it not platform style but off the footing with PT 2x6 walls balloon. 12ft wall height so should be good

Boolit Grand Master

Out Of Work Again

I feel your pain when it comes to managers that have no clue what they’re doing. Our corporate structure is full of accountants at all levels. They are directly in charge of a service division for industrial equipment. I bet you can guess how well that’s going.

All the Field Service Supervisors quit their positions and went back to being technicians. This prevented a massive pay cut and got them out of the cross hairs. They were all guys that were in the field for 25+ years and some of them have been at the company for 35+ years. And who did they hire for replacements? People from outside the industry that have absolutely no clue about what we do. They’re more concerned about checking every item on a Home Depot receipt, they think we’re buying things for ourselves, then keeping the customers happy. I bet you can guess how well that’s going.

Companies have forgotten about promoting from within. They don’t listen to guys that have the experience. They’re more worried about hiring someone w/ a degree. And it doesn’t have to be related to the job. Just has to be a piece of paper that says you’re $80k in debt. It’s not wonder companies fail at the rate they do.

Good luck w/ the bathroom remodel. I need to redo mine. But I’m waiting until the kids are older. The little one thinks the water isn’t supposed to stay in the tub so I only want to fix the floor once.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Won't unless I use the CARE Act. A little sentence in that says you can get money if you "feel unsafe in your work environment". Not planning on taking advantage of that as of yet
    I thought that runs out at the end of the month
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    It does. Good chance it will be renewed somehow, but for the moment, it's set to expire on 7/31.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master

I'm looking for a career change and considering trucking. Had a CDL back in `98 with hazmat and tanker endorsements. Had to let it go in Arizona about ten years ago when I couldn't find a doctor to give me a medical cert in time when my wallet was stolen.

But, I'd have to start over getting a CDL. Sounds like going to a company as a new driver and letting them pay for my schooling means the worst routes and pay, and at 51 years old, I have run out of patience dealing with stupid people. So the chances of finding a regional job with home time on weekends and no routes in big cities as a greenhorn driver seems pretty unlikely.

Might just get back into insurance adjusting.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Banned

that's odd. I thought the truck drivers were working OT in most places. heck the ups guy showed up in his own pickup yesterday. Said there so swamped that there paying employees milage to use there own trucks because they don't have enough.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I'm looking for a career change and considering trucking. Had a CDL back in `98 with hazmat and tanker endorsements. Had to let it go in Arizona about ten years ago when I couldn't find a doctor to give me a medical cert in time when my wallet was stolen.

But, I'd have to start over getting a CDL. Sounds like going to a company as a new driver and letting them pay for my schooling means the worst routes and pay, and at 51 years old, I have run out of patience dealing with stupid people. So the chances of finding a regional job with home time on weekends and no routes in big cities as a greenhorn driver seems pretty unlikely.

Might just get back into insurance adjusting.
    Number of those jobs out there but I'd like to be home during the week. I bet you can find one

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    It does and if you re-read my post you will see I plan on taking July off and finding something in August.

The job was fine, it was the pay that stank.

Banned
    Jon, good luck on your remodeling and finding new work. Unfortunately I let my CDL expire when I retired, didn't think I would need it again. How wrong I was.
    Leading a single life and really missing the wheel and a stick, looking at the world through a windshield.
    Enjoy it while you can.
    Ken

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    It does and if you re-read my post you will see I plan on taking July off and finding something in August.

The job was fine, it was the pay that stank.
    If that pay didn't suit you, wait until you get on social security!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

I'm sorry to hear this, my Friend! Enjoy your time off and the remodel. I'm sure you will find something when you start looking. Wishing you the best.

Boolit Grand Master
    Good luck sir.

for others, I know a guy working for Fed-Ex. They are desperate for drivers. No CDL just a Chauffer's license. Pay is $125/day for the first two weeks of training and then $145/day. I have thought about splitting a route with someone and working 3 days a week.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    If that pay didn't suit you, wait until you get on social security!
    That's what I'm looking forward to. 5-7 yrs more then retire. I need tosock away all the money I can now and the pay I was getting just was not going to get it done

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast